Favourite Guitar Solo's

On 05/10/2020 at 6:43 PM, LogicprObe said:

Everytime these two guys play this song, it's magic.

The live album of this was another one that turned up my Spotify feed a while back, phone was out of reach so didn't know who it was at first, thought it was SRV. 

If I owned this Album on vinyl, it would be well a truly worn-out by now. 

Spotify has also introduced be to Joe Bonamassa, still haven't worked out of I like him or not, good session player methinks... But he does well in Black Country Communion. Their live DVD goes off. 

Edited by Hytram
  • Like 1

In no particular order (and I'm old) ...

Blind Willie Johnson: Dark Was The Night And Cold Was The Ground

Rory: Walk On Hot Coals

Clapton: Crossroads

Al Wilson (thought it was Harvey Mandel, but apparently not): Let's Work Together

James Burton: Oh Suzie Q

Jimi: Villanova Junction. So beautiful ...

Edited by k-k-k-kenny
  • Like 1

Alex Lifeson (Rush) "La Villa Strangiato"

Elliot Randall (Steely Dan) "Reeling in the Years"

Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) "Die Young"

Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple) "Highway Star"

Steve Howe (Yes) "Starship Trooper"

Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen) "Drop Dead Legs"

Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin) "Whole Lotta Love"

Keith Richard (The Rolling Stones) "Sympathy for the Devil"

Jimi Hendrix (Band of Gypsys) "Machine Gun"

Hugh Burns (Gerry Rafferty) "Baker Street"

Frank Zappa (Mothers of Invention) "Willie the Pimp"

Allen Collins, Ed Burns, Garry Rossington (Lynyrd Skynyrd) "Free Bird"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rowbo said:

@RankStranger great choice - i missed this thread until today and that's the first one i thought of. J Mascis letting it all out ?

He throws every lick he knows at that guitar solo and from someone who wasn’t trying so hard it would be pretty rote. From him it’s filled with so much teenage-boy’s-bedroom angst and effort to be seen that it kills me every time

• Like 1

Some of my favourites (all outros):

Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple) - Mistreated (from Burn) - restraint that builds.

Eric Clapton (Derek and the Dominos) - I Looked Away (from Layla....) - short but so sweet!

Carlos Santana (Santana) - Taboo (from III, or it could be Neil Schon!) - cat strangling at its best and totally spent after the final note!

Guthrie Govan (Steven Wilson) - Drive Home (from the Raven that Refused to Sing) - like David Gilmour on steriods!

The early '70's had some wonderful stuff, y'know. It was a time when there were far less labels on music than there is now. Lots of experimentation coming in from all over the place. Heavy Metal was years away, coming, in my opinion, with the second wave, the stylistic bandwagon jumpers, those who recognised what furrow they wanted to plough only after someone showed them the field in the first place.

Anyway, from that time before the handy labels, the title song to Uriah Heep's second album, Salisbury. It's long, it's jazzy in parts, it has an orchestra and, most importantly, it has  an absolutely riveting guitar solo that comes in three parts. Here it is in full. If you just want the solo then begin at the 11:20 mark, but for it to make full musical sense you really should start at the beginning. Mick Box rarely troubles the "Greatest Guitarist of All Time" lists, but this is worthy of you time. Enjoy.

Edited by JukKluk2
  • Like 3

On 05/10/2020 at 1:16 AM, mpearce38 said:

Love this solo by Prince, love it when he gives Goerges son a cheeky grin then takes it to 11 and leaves everyone else on stage for dead

Dude I'm on this link once a week. 

19 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

The early '70's had some wonderful stuff, y'know. It was a time when there were far less labels on music than there is now. Lots of experimentation coming in from all over the place. Heavy Metal was years away, coming, in my opinion, with the second wave, the stylistic bandwagon jumpers, those who recognised what furrow they wanted to plough only after someone showed them the field in the first place.

Anyway, from that time before the handy labels, the title song to Uriah Heep's second album, Salisbury. It's long, it's jazzy in parts, it has an orchestra and, most importantly, it has  an absolutely riveting guitar solo that comes in three parts. Here it is in full. If you just want the solo then begin at the 11:20 mark, but for it to make full musical sense you really should start at the beginning. Mick Box rarely troubles the "Greatest Guitarist of All Time" lists, but this is worthy of you time. Enjoy.

Memories

UH toured Australia in 1984

I went to both these shows.   At the Manhattan I was there with a mate and I doubt there was more than 40 people in total for the show.

At the Venue I took my then girlfriend who wasn't a real fan of this genre.   Even at about 120db she still fell asleep.   Mick Box was on fire on guitar.

Apr 05 - Manhattan Hotel - Ringwood, Australia
Apr 06 - The Venue - St Kilda, Australia {w/ Shaft, The Phantom Band}

Regards Cazzesman

19 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

Yes, the early 70s was my sweet spot. A very interesting time when rock music seemed to come of age, and musicians were not afraid to experiment and fuse with different styles. Not all of it worked of course, but a heck of a lot of it did. I could never understand when the whole punk thing came along and it became fashionable to trash the music of this era as 'boring' and 'dinosaur music'. Well, a large part of what came next was a lot more boring than what went before (in my opinion). And then you had the 80s (groan, shudder, .... nuf said).

Just my personal opinions.