Stereo speakers for desktop use

5 hours ago, bruc3 said:

I dont really understand all the technical side of things.

So out of the JBL vs Mackie, which would likely give me more better sense of soundstage, separation and details?

I mostly will be listening to classical and jazz.

Coming from headphone and going to the JBL's would be more of a shock to you considering your usually music choice, they would end up sounding a bit "Shouty" because of the tweeter waveguide. , probably tiring on the ear because of it.

It's a engaging sound, fast and dynamic, but that can be a double edged sword unless you want to use this trait to surgically dissect a musical piece.

The Mackie are a bit more conventional and are designed with a wide sound dispersion Patten, which will make for better soundstage especially if you use the controls on the rear of the speaker to dial the best setting for the speakers placement.

Although I would strongly recommend that you moved from the smallest Mackie to the next one up, the MR624 , which I think is about $50 more.

The bigger driver will fill the sound out more in the midbass, where the smaller ones will sound anemic in comparison.

62218967_MAKIEMR624REAR.jpg.084ea74e9106778942328fe8bf4e1882.jpg

23 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

The Mackie are a bit more conventional and are designed with a wide sound dispersion Patten, which will make for better soundstage especially if you use the controls on the rear of the speaker to dial the best setting for the speakers placement.

Although I would strongly recommend that you moved from the smallest Mackie to the next one up, the MR624 , which I think is about $50 more.

The bigger driver will fill the sound out more in the midbass, where the smaller ones will sound anemic in comparison.

Noted, I will try get the MR624 then, seems to tick most my boxes.  Thanks for all the advice/suggestions.

Might wait a bit to see any sales come up, since we are nearing the end of Year so means Black Friday and boxing day sales.

34 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

they would end up sounding a bit "Shouty" because of the tweeter waveguide

I haven't heard the Mackie's but I have many good things about them.  "Shouty" would be about the last word I would use with the JBL's as the Waveguide that has been taken from way up the JBL pro-audio line ensures much smoother HF as  frequency response as well as wide off axis measurements being quite exceptional.

Generally the 5" JBL seems to be the pick of the crop of the LSR series compared to larger brothers for balance up and down the frequency range.

I have taken them using them in midfield 7ft apart and about 9ft from the listening position and the dispersion is very even, sound staging is impressive and funnily enough they are not that forward to my ears. 

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/jbl-lsr305p-mkii-and-control-1-pro-monitors-review.10811/

Either way I certainly will be looking at powered speakers from now on. I have heard great things about the Adam's and the Kali's (who is an ex-JBL engineer who I believe designed the JBL's).

15 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

Noted, I will try get the MR624 then, seems to tick most my boxes.  Thanks for all the advice/suggestions.

Might wait a bit to see any sales come up, since we are nearing the end of Year so means Black Friday and boxing day sales.

Make sure whatever you buy is from a store with a shopfront, no a Internet only sales group.

Reason being, because most of these powered speakers are sold to people who do home recording, who then order the speakers online, try them out on 30 Day trial, blast the crap out of them, then send them back to exchange with a different speaker.

These returned speakers are not usually checked properly upon return, subsequently they get reboxed and sold again to the next order.Plenty of stories on the net about receiving used and faulty goods from internet only sellers, so avoid them IMHO.

11 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

Reason being, because most of these powered speakers are sold to people who do home recording, who then order the speakers online, try them out on 30 Day trial, blast the crap out of them, then send them back to exchange with a different speaker.

These returned speakers are not usually checked properly upon return, subsequently they get reboxed and sold again to the next order.

Wow, didn't know about this. I will keep that in mind and try purchase from bricks and mortar store. Thanks.

FYI have not decided on the Focal 65 yet, as its seems to be bit higher than the usual used market price and not sure how it even compares to the JBL/Mackie.

So currently still in the market for speakers/monitors.

Dropping in to add a “must listen” for the Tannoy Gold Monitor 8s - $700ish, and they won’t sound like anything else (IME it’s a love or hate scenario).

On 06/10/2020 at 10:40 AM, bruc3 said:

Thanks Tweaky.

I am now also considering Mackie MR524 which i have read various posts people saying it beats the JBL LSR305 MKII.

The Mackie MR524 apparently has much less hiss, sounds better played at lower volumes and in my opinion looks nicer.

I will likely just buy floor stands for the speakers, but if not I will look at getting those anti-vibration foams you suggested. Much appreciated.

I don't know about the particular Mackie's you're looking at here, but I persuaded my Mrs CE to get a smaller pair of them for her set-up (day work and working out spin classes). Mackie's in general would probably not be considered hifi, but they are pretty revealing when used as near-field monitors. Can be a bit fatiguing, but not as much as others in the near-field 'field'.

2 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I prefer to stick with active speakers to utilise my current headphone amp/dac out ports. Trying to keep my desk minimum of clutter.

4 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I prefer to stick with active speakers to utilise my current headphone amp/dac out ports. Trying to keep my desk minimum of clutter.

Yep no worries. Just suggestions ;) 

11 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Yep no worries. Just suggestions ;) 

Yeah, thanks. Never know I may change my mind totally later and decide to ditch the headphone amp/completely and replace with integrated amp setup + passive speakers haha..

I constantly change my mind when it comes to audio setups.

Another option, at the top end of your price range, but a very neutral and dynamic option for nearlfield listening is a pair of Acoustic Energy AE1s. Active, not just powered, they image well, have good bass extension and definition for their size and provide 100W a side.

I brought a pair of powered studio monitors from DJ City many years ago for my computer/office setup .. ESI nEar 08's .. use a Rotel pre/dac to drive them ... brilliant sound :)    so active studio monitors are a great solution.

Just updating this post, I have finally settled and bought some speakers from another SNA member, but I went completely off course as I ended up with passive speakers and an integrated amp instead of getting active monitors. Got  the Kef LS50 + Peachtree Nova 125, price was just too good for me to turn down.

Have set it on my desk and it sounds great (even without stands, I have just ordered some stands), only thing is it looks pretty big on my desk, I underestimated the size of these things from photos.

Anyway, looking forward to more listening time.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2020 at 7:21 PM, bruc3 said:

Just updating this post, I have finally settled and bought some speakers from another SNA member, but I went completely off course as I ended up with passive speakers and an integrated amp instead of getting active monitors. Got  the Kef LS50 + Peachtree Nova 125, price was just too good for me to turn down.

Have set it on my desk and it sounds great (even without stands, I have just ordered some stands), only thing is it looks pretty big on my desk, I underestimated the size of these things from photos.

Anyway, looking forward to more listening time.

Thank you!

Often with these threads the OP does not post the the final result.

KEF are known for suiting classical music very well so I guess you will be very happy.

We will be interested to hear about your impressions after you have lived with this fresh gear for a few weeks.

I just bought a new wider desk and speaker stands for the set up and very happy with it.

The Nova 125 works pretty well as headphone amp for my HD6xx too, so when I need to listen to headphones instead during early morning/nights I can.

Speakers sound brilliant, soundstage is very convincing and amazes me  how the music pans in front of me like its not coming from the speakers at all.

Might need to do something about all those cables at bottom of desk though, as it kind of bugs me when I see it hehe...

Photo 17-10-20, 11 08 57 ama.jpg

Edited by bruc3
  • Like 1