Stereo speakers for desktop use

Hi all,

I mostly use my headphones (Sennheiser HD6xx) for music listening among other things, as I have a pair of crappy Logitech speakers that sound pretty crap and so rarely use them.

I decided I want to get rid of these logitech speakers and replace with high quality stereo speakers.

Currently my setup is this:

Computer > amp/dac > headphones

Looking for some stereo speakers which I can connect to my current amp/dac.

Im pretty sure I need powered speakers, as my amp/dac provides simple line out to speakers but not amplified.

I have no idea about speakers, as I only have ever given attention to headphones.

My desk is fairly large, so can fit descent sized speakers if necessary.

My budget up to $2k,  willing to purchase used/second hand also.

So that being said, what good quality stereo speakers would you recommend?

Hi @bruc3

I have found the Focal XS Book speakers to be quite good, do not take up as much room as most powered speakers and have a good, and there is a sub that can be used with them.

Other options are the new KEF LSX wireless, Audioengine HDP-6, Acoustic Energy AE1 Active

Probably best to have a listen to hear what you prefer.

JJ

• Like 1

I'd opt for the powered speakers in your setup, and your best place to get them in Sydney would be a Pro Audio music shop like Mannys, Sound Devices or Turramurra Music, they usually have these speakers on demo.....example link.

https://www.mannys.com.au/studio-gear/studio-monitors/active-studio-monitors

They can vary a lot, in both price and performance.

I find this Digital Stereophony Youtube channel below very useful in evaluating different models [use your headphones to hear the differences] as the same tracks are used, and there is a great deal of repeatability in the demonstrations.

https://www.youtube.com/user/skubny/videos?pbjreload=102

Personally I bought a pair of IK Multimedia iLoud MTM active speakers, which I use in a Home Recording setup, but they work amazingly just as music playback speakers

These speakers have built in DSP and come with calibration Mics [one each speaker], you can also adjust the Bass output on them.

https://www.mannys.com.au/ik-multimedia-iloud-mtm-high-resolution-compact-studio-monitors-pair

Here is a review of them used in a setup similar to how you would use them.

[I posted in another thread  a few months ago [April I think] about showing interest in getting these speakers, and one of the other posters sent me a PM telling me one of a official Forum Sponsor that would do me a great price on them if I asked, which I did and had them posted to me for quite a considerable saving, although if he still carries this brand ?.....PM me if you would like details ]

There are a couple of things you need to be wary of when moving to active speakers, and even more so when listening at close range, as you'd be moving into a world of very revealing audio, nothing can hid in a setup like this.

The first and most important one is system noise, and I'm talking about grounding issues with digital sources / interfaces / DAC's etc.

This can be a real PITA to troubleshoot, as there can be quite a few variables that can interact with each other to cause it, and because everything else is so pristine, even a trace of noise can become intolerable.

The best practice is to run powered speakers from a different power outlet than your source gear, the second most important thing if using USB at all, is to get a really good isolated USB block,this can be one of the easiest cures for a whole lot of other problems as well.

After much searching I found that you really do need to spend some $$ on this [obviously only if you find you do have grounding problems , you might get lucky ] and the best one available is the  ANKER. which with 10 ports might seem overkill, but it's all about that massive power supply that comes with it [charges phones very quickly to boot ? ]

https://www.macfixit.com.au/anker-10-port-60w-usb-3-0-hub-with-7-data-transfer-ports-and-3-poweriq-charging-ports/?dfw_tracker=2175-28499&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5eX7BRDQARIsAMhYLP-QXjhqKDcnZrdDnCEfa6r2WR-16rw5Xvv82Y03qr3tCpUPpFI-ynkaAtY8EALw_wcB

You really want to have balanced output from your source to the speakers to help alleviate this if possible.

And you want to NOT run power cables along side the speaker cables.

How successful something like this works would be dependent on your other gear.

I'd list it just so other readers could chip in regarding if they see any possible problem areas regarding wiring it all up, better to know this before spending the $$ going active.

It works amazingly when it does, but when it doesn't it's hair pulling time.

Some good suggestions already. AudioEngine active speakers are well regarded, I bought their A5+ to use as desktop speakers for my computer, but they are too big for my desk and home office arrangement. So now they're my bedroom speakers.

15 hours ago, petetherock said:

I'm using an old Denon amp to drive my LS50s.

I've always favoured using a separate amp like this (although my speakers are MUCH cheaper), even on the desktop.  I currently am using a old Luxman amp, but have even used homebuilt SET amps on my desktop.

As I said my speakers are cheap and very much the weak point, and I  am currently keeping an eye out for what is available as well.

1 hour ago, allthumbs said:

JBL305p Mk11, although beware there is tweeter hiss.

These are currently the ones I am looking at, been reading a fair few reviews for them and am aware of the hiss. But besides that, seems to be glowing reviews and a Reddit forum favourite.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tweaky said:

I'd opt for the powered speakers in your setup, and your best place to get them in Sydney would be a Pro Audio music shop like Mannys, Sound Devices or Turramurra Music, they usually have these speakers on demo.....example link.

https://www.mannys.com.au/studio-gear/studio-monitors/active-studio-monitors

They can vary a lot, in both price and performance.

I find this Digital Stereophony Youtube channel below very useful in evaluating different models [use your headphones to hear the differences] as the same tracks are used, and there is a great deal of repeatability in the demonstrations.

https://www.youtube.com/user/skubny/videos?pbjreload=102

Personally I bought a pair of IK Multimedia iLoud MTM active speakers, which I use in a Home Recording setup, but they work amazingly just as music playback speakers

These speakers have built in DSP and come with calibration Mics [one each speaker], you can also adjust the Bass output on them.

https://www.mannys.com.au/ik-multimedia-iloud-mtm-high-resolution-compact-studio-monitors-pair

Here is a review of them used in a setup similar to how you would use them.

[I posted in another thread  a few months ago [April I think] about showing interest in getting these speakers, and one of the other posters sent me a PM telling me one of a official Forum Sponsor that would do me a great price on them if I asked, which I did and had them posted to me for quite a considerable saving, although if he still carries this brand ?.....PM me if you would like details ]

There are a couple of things you need to be wary of when moving to active speakers, and even more so when listening at close range, as you'd be moving into a world of very revealing audio, nothing can hid in a setup like this.

The first and most important one is system noise, and I'm talking about grounding issues with digital sources / interfaces / DAC's etc.

This can be a real PITA to troubleshoot, as there can be quite a few variables that can interact with each other to cause it, and because everything else is so pristine, even a trace of noise can become intolerable.

The best practice is to run powered speakers from a different power outlet than your source gear, the second most important thing if using USB at all, is to get a really good isolated USB block,this can be one of the easiest cures for a whole lot of other problems as well.

After much searching I found that you really do need to spend some $$ on this [obviously only if you find you do have grounding problems , you might get lucky ] and the best one available is the  ANKER. which with 10 ports might seem overkill, but it's all about that massive power supply that comes with it [charges phones very quickly to boot ? ]

https://www.macfixit.com.au/anker-10-port-60w-usb-3-0-hub-with-7-data-transfer-ports-and-3-poweriq-charging-ports/?dfw_tracker=2175-28499&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5eX7BRDQARIsAMhYLP-QXjhqKDcnZrdDnCEfa6r2WR-16rw5Xvv82Y03qr3tCpUPpFI-ynkaAtY8EALw_wcB

You really want to have balanced output from your source to the speakers to help alleviate this if possible.

And you want to NOT run power cables along side the speaker cables.

How successful something like this works would be dependent on your other gear.

I'd list it just so other readers could chip in regarding if they see any possible problem areas regarding wiring it all up, better to know this before spending the $$ going active.

It works amazingly when it does, but when it doesn't it's hair pulling time.

Thanks for the in-depth info, I will take into consideration those things you mentioned such as system noise, grounding issues. Also I will read/watch some reviews about those iLoud MTM speakers to see. Thanks again.

So looks like top pick for me is currently the JBL LSR305 MKII.

Seems to get plenty of raving reviews/user feedback.

Any other suggestions before I lock this in?

14 hours ago, bruc3 said:

So looks like top pick for me is currently the JBL LSR305 MKII.

Seems to get plenty of raving reviews/user feedback.

Any other suggestions before I lock this in?

Yeah, listen to the two JBL models above it.

The one with the 6"woofer and the other with the 8" one., they'll be quite a difference with less of the one note bass of the smallest one.

It depends how close you intend to sit to the speakers and if you are going to put them on small stands, or sitting fluch on the desk.

Either way, you really want to decouple the speakers from the desk, as the vibrations go into the desk and it makes for one big sounding-board, depending on the density of the desk material.

Bunnings sells like anti-vibration pads that other at this forum has forum effective, they are so cheap you can buy multiple packs of the 15mm stuff, cut it to size to basically stack them up and make a stand to suit.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-on-site-100-x-12-5mm-rubber-anti-vibration-mat-4-pack_p3961547

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-200-x-200-x-15mm-anti-vibration-square-2-pack_p3961976

Thanks Tweaky.

I am now also considering Mackie MR524 which i have read various posts people saying it beats the JBL LSR305 MKII.

The Mackie MR524 apparently has much less hiss, sounds better played at lower volumes and in my opinion looks nicer.

I will likely just buy floor stands for the speakers, but if not I will look at getting those anti-vibration foams you suggested. Much appreciated.

20 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

Thanks Tweaky.

I am now also considering Mackie MR524 which i have read various posts people saying it beats the JBL LSR305 MKII.

The Mackie MR524 apparently has much less hiss, sounds better played at lower volumes and in my opinion looks nicer.

I will likely just buy floor stands for the speakers, but if not I will look at getting those anti-vibration foams you suggested. Much appreciated.

The Mackie has a different sound as it's not horn loaded tweeter like the JBL.

You should get a wider dispersion with the Mackie which will mean your have a wider listening area, where's with the JBL's Horn, it narrower dispersion meaning you really have to keep your head in a narrow zone to get the best out of the speakers.

TBH having to lock your head in position to listen to something gets annoying, and actives tend to be very revealing, so any position out of the sweetspot tends to be amplified, so best practice is to try and have as wide a sweetspot as possible, that means toe in / toe back/ height and width spacing just right, with possible some sort of treatment on the wall behind the speakers.

As this is just for listening at a desk I think a pair of these configured as a stereo pair would do the job nicely.

Only 165mm high. $360 for two.

Only cable required is power.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/one-sl.html

Available in black or white.

For casual listen these sound pretty smooth.

Much more versatile than just speakers.

I like that you can have music playing at the push of a button without the need for a computer, smart phone or anything else.

Capture.JPG.a18bd1074c65eb6d67062f3b2dae2d51.JPG

Edited by rockpig

11 minutes ago, rockpig said:

As this is just for listening at a desk I think a pair of these configured as a stereo pair would do the job nicely.

Only 165mm high. $360 for two.

Only cable required is power.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/one-sl.html

Available in black or white.

For casual listen these sound pretty smooth.

Much more versatile than just speakers.

I like that you can have music playing at the push of a button without the need for a computer, smart phone or anything else.

Capture.JPG.a18bd1074c65eb6d67062f3b2dae2d51.JPG

Ah I have not considered something like this.

It seems to be packed with features vs regular studio monitors, but I suspect a lot of the money goes into those additional features rather than into the drivers (i.e. the sound quality, fidelity may take a hit). For now I feel safer just sticking with active studio monitors for a more reference sound.

Thanks for the suggestions though, good to have options.

30 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

The Mackie has a different sound as it's not horn loaded tweeter like the JBL.

You should get a wider dispersion with the Mackie which will mean your have a wider listening area, where's with the JBL's Horn, it narrower dispersion meaning you really have to keep your head in a narrow zone to get the best out of the speakers.

TBH having to lock your head in position to listen to something gets annoying, and actives tend to be very revealing, so any position out of the sweetspot tends to be amplified, so best practice is to try and have as wide a sweetspot as possible, that means toe in / toe back/ height and width spacing just right, with possible some sort of treatment on the wall behind the speakers.

I dont really understand all the technical side of things.

So out of the JBL vs Mackie, which would likely give me more better sense of soundstage, separation and details?

I mostly will be listening to classical and jazz.

10 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

Ah I have not considered something like this.

It seems to be packed with features vs regular studio monitors, but I suspect a lot of the money goes into those additional features rather than into the drivers (i.e. the sound quality, fidelity may take a hit). For now I feel safer just sticking with active studio monitors for a more reference sound.

Thanks for the suggestions though, good to have options.

For their size and price that pack a surprisingly good sound that I find very pleasing for casual listening.
My main system has floor standing Martin Logan speakers.

Sonos allow you to run an app to calibrate the speakers to the room which I think is the main reason they can sound much better than you would expect.

Anyway, I thought it worth suggesting this as a different way to approach your requirement.

Good studio monitors would be hard to beat, but do cost a lot more.

Honestly, I have never owned or listened to descent speakers/monitors before, I have always been a headphone guy. Have always just used cheap computer speakers (mainly Logitech) for my listening needs.

But now have a desktop setup in my own room (office) and decided I might delve into speakers for something different/new and to give my ears a break from headphones.

Thought I might as well get something descent so I dont feel the itch to upgrade again soon.

So for all I know, I may enjoy those Sonos speakers more than studio monitors, but I really dont have experience with either and just choosing based on research I did.

I did some searches and you certainly are spoiled for choice which will make it difficult to decide which Monitors to buy.

Your budget of $2K will enable you to buy something very good and ensure you don't need to upgrade anytime soon.

May years ago I helped my son buy a pair of powered studio monitors for use in making and mixing EDM (Electronic Dance Music)

Cannot recall the brand right now but I sourced them through a buddy of mine that works in the AV industry.
My son still uses them and took them to Canada several years ago when he moved there. Must find out from him what brand they are as I have forgotten.

1 minute ago, Bunno77 said:

Checkout DJ city in Smithfield

DJ City actually not too far from where I live, might have to go check them out.

Do they actually have speakers/monitors there which I can test out?

Thanks.

• Like 1

@bruc3 I haven't been to the Sydney store but Brisbane does so I assume they would too. May not have all that I named on display but I am sure you can talk to them. They will definitely have the Yamaha and the JBLs mentioned above, Bris has about 20 pairs on display.

I am sure there will be other stores too that will have monitors but DJ City have been great for me here in Bris

4 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Dynaudio Lyd

Focal Alpha or Shape

Tannoy Gold

even Yamaha HS are decent

Checkout DJ city in Smithfield

Yeah, Dynaudio or Tannoy would probably suit your taste in music. I own and use both of these brands.
In fact the Dynaudio LYD monitors look exactly the same as my pair of bookshelf Dynaudio.

Great sound paired with the Dynaudio sub.

• Like 1