Houdini gets his system mojo workin'

G'day all,

I've been slowly upgrading my systen over the past year and took a few pics of where it's at today.

Amp: Audio Space AS-6i 300b - my newest and sweetest addition. Loving tubes :)

TT: Rega RP1 with Ortofon 2m Red cartridge - had this for a couple months and can't complain. Totally destroys my old TT for SQ

Phono: Cambridge 540p - got this with my TT

Speakers: Krix Apex mk2 - 10 years old and still as even tempered as always

DAC: My Arcam rDAC started my upgrade about a year ago and made a huge difference. But I sold it to try something else which is on its way...

My next project will be speakers which could be a DIY full range job, Hoyt-Bedford's or something like a pair of Monitor Audio GS10 standmounts. Once I've got my speakers going I'll progressively upgrade my sources but I think I'll buy more music first...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33736[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33739[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33737[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33738[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33740[/ATTACH]

So I'm pretty rapt with it all. This system has a nice swing to it and is pretty relaxed over all. But I can't wait for some new speakers...

Edited by houdinifangs
Figured stuff out
  • Like 2

Nice looking system Houdinifangs;

I would like to know how this copes with your "eclectic" music tastes. You have introduced me to some great new music on this forum with your suggestions, thanks for that.

Best of luck with your music listening.

Ray

KW - love a game of chess or 3. My chess vision is pretty poor though

Ray - my system copes well with all music but excels at none. When I upgrade my speakers this will change. I'm after 'holographic', 'musical' and 'detailed'. This means some of my music, especially the extreme metal, will not get played. I've auditioned enough gear to know you can't get it all once you step up from entry level gear. I'm holding onto my old SS

amp and eventually the Krix for HT and poorly recorded music.

Fullrange + tubes + vinyl = orgasmagic

Don't worry houdini, i'm a brute force kind of chess player :) You can see me coming from a mile away. One of my friends is quite enigmatic and I have no idea what he's trying to do - and then he moves one piece and the whole plan falls into place. Quite scary really. There don't seem to be too many chess players on SNA. Should catch up for a game sometime :mad:

Gee whiz, yet another great looking system, WD H/fangs. :)

Have a brother who's a junior master or something like that and plays via email and online and in realtime, I never got any further than backgammon I'm afraid.

Gee whiz, yet another great looking system, WD H/fangs. :)

Have a brother who's a junior master or something like that and plays via email and online and in realtime, I never got any further than backgammon I'm afraid.

I am a Backgammon master

But its still in the hands of the dice

Also play chess a little

I will have to call Houdini - Bottle head from now on

Anyway he has sampled what 4.3 watts of tube power can do when driving full range speakers on his visit to my place

And you know what they say - once bitten -

FR

I'm constantly cursed by players for my seemingly inexhaustible ability to roll doubles, it's a rare session that I lose two or perhaps three games out of ten.

Not thrilled with the compression on earlier pics...must persist

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33771[/ATTACH]

I think need lessons on image optimisation...still looks blurry - not so on my computer...and perhaps my chess game...maybe I should have set up the Risk board instead?

FR your 4.3 was more than enough...I've got 23...hope I don't blow something up!

Edited by houdinifangs

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33775[/ATTACH]

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...thanks JC...think I figured it out simultaneously...I'm using a different pic...the other one is a composite of a ligher and darker one - trying to get the glow...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33779[/ATTACH]

Had another crack at this one too - you learn something everyday...

Edited by houdinifangs
getting things right

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33775[/ATTACH]

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...thanks JC...think I figured it out simultaneously...I'm using a different pic...the other one is a composite of a ligher and darker one - trying to get the glow...

Nice work and great system.

:)

Nice concise system there Houdini. Are you going to try and get a local listen to the Hoyt-Bedford's ?

You know what they say about simple things amusing simple minds... I was trying to work out the ornament in the 2nd pic and thought buddha was doing something rude :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Matt.

Thanks so much for the truly excellent pics of your system, it really looks fabulous and by your words it seems like it sounds fab as well.

I love the way you are putting the system together gradually, realising & exploring workable synergies.

Ther great thing about it all is that it should and will bring you much joy for many years to come.

Well done mate. All you need to do now is enjoy. :):thumb:

FR - I can't compare this DAC to yours as yours came served with some pretty special speakers and coffee. I think you would like the Chameleon though as it does a pretty tidy job of separating and placing instruments. It has an open analogue sound if you like.

Rantan - thanks for your kind words. If only gradually was a matter of choice. As they say "patience is a virtue", fortunately I enjoy any opportunity to listen to music regardless of the system.