Jump to content

Recommended Posts

For a Auralica Taurus Headphone Amp / Preamp.

 

Volume pot on it seems shot, so would need that replaced with something good, and then just a general clean/service too.

 

Anyone know someone good in the Brisbane region that can do this?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmm..  IIRC this preamp uses a motorised dual ganged 10k "A" taper ALPS Blue potentiometer for the volume control.

 

Does it sound scratchy / crackly when rotated?  Is the problem on both channels or just one? ALPS  potentiometers are normally very reliable and favoured by audiophiles. but as with almost any electro-mechanical component they can eventually wear out and need replacing.

 

Cheers,

Alan R.

Edited by Monkeyboi
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Alan.

 

It's sound seems fine. Balance issues up to about 5-10% though.

 

Mechanically its shot. Super tough to turn and feels like its grinding. Pretty sure it's knwon for being excellently smooth.

 

Amp also seems to be picking up a lot of noise when a DAC is connected. Even though the same DAC has been super clean on other amps....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Thanks Alan.

 

It's sound seems fine. Balance issues up to about 5-10% though.

 

Mechanically its shot. Super tough to turn and feels like its grinding. Pretty sure it's knwon for being excellently smooth.

 

Amp also seems to be picking up a lot of noise when a DAC is connected. Even though the same DAC has been super clean on other amps....

Yes, ALPS pots are normally very smooth in operation. Seems to me that there's other issues with the pre.   Balance between channels should be spot on. Nothing that can't be resolved by a competent tech that services high end audio.

 

Cheers,

Alan R.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Is it legal for me to replace the volume pot myself? I know many do it, but without any sort of qualifications in electronics or electrical, is it strictly legal?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Is it legal for me to replace the volume pot myself? I know many do it, but without any sort of qualifications in electronics or electrical, is it strictly legal?

Yes it is legal for you to do it. But unwise, unless you have an understanding of electricity and electronics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

Yes it is legal for you to do it. But unwise, unless you have an understanding of electricity and electronics.

I believe I have a reasonable understanding. Enough for like-for-like replacement work.

 

I tried finding info and what I can away with was basically "no, isn't legal". But I can buy a Bottlehead Crack Amp kit and go for it.

 

Any link to some info on what is and isn't legal? Why can I open up a amp and tinker but not a fridge or washing machine? Or technically can I? (Won't be)

Link to post
Share on other sites


AV Digitech in Springwood are very good and reasonably priced. 
 

I’ve used them previously. Most recently, they fixed a subwoofer amp of mine which another very competent tech had no success with. 
 

They service everything and last time I was there they had everything from Japanese home theatre receivers to Audio Research monoblocks on the bench. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


AV Digitech's warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.

Stay clear of them Ben.

Contact me of list and I will explain the problems I had with them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

AV Digitech's warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.

Stay clear of them Ben.

Contact me of list and I will explain the problems I had with them.

Oooof. Will do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...