Chromecast Audio - Refurbs available (Kogan)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@JimmT mine arrived today. This is what you get for your $44 👍🏼        

Not trying to encourage anyone to use Kogan, but I know that Chromecast Audio is now rare, they have some refurbs in stock for $44.00 https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/google-chromecast-audio-refurbis

Correct.   I’ve just set it up, connected to an old Sansui G6000 and Usher S520’s, streaming Spotify and sounds good.    

I wouldn't buy dogs#!^ from Kogan, they'd substitute for something even worse after taking my money and saying the dog is delaying delivery.

Kogan are quite possibly the worst company I've ever dealt with.

Cheers,

Jason.

• Like 3

@koputai  I'm no Kogan fan either, they've been shown to be less than scrupulous over the years, but these aren't a big investment, and they're hard to find anywhere.

Edited by pwstereo
  • Like 2

I did buy one some six months ago, it worked for three weeks.

Contacted them, no dramas, replacement sent out.

I think there’s twelve months warranty on them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ethro said:

Also available from dick smith if you  dont want to buy from the Kogan website 

Dick Smith online was purchased by Kogan when they went bust, so same same.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, lebowski said:

Secondhand price for these on eBay and gumtree is out of control so have ordered one from Kogan.

Can't even find them now

Yeah, unfortunately I ordered one of these too.

And I really wish it wasn't from Kogan.  I don't have a high opinion of them.

And I also got my money back from the last too good to be true deal from eBay @pete_mac, so no need to say I told you so.  😛

• Haha 1

I've not used the Mi Box S.

It looks far more akin to an Apple TV or the new Chromecast with Google TV, or older Chromecast Ultra.

The price is way higher through the Xaomi AU online shop too.

It looks like a good option despite the higher price and redundant* 4K video functionality (* from a CCA replacement point of view).

On 02/10/2020 at 10:26 AM, pwstereo said:

Not trying to encourage anyone to use Kogan, but I know that Chromecast Audio is now rare, they have some refurbs in stock for $44.00

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/google-chromecast-audio-refurbished/

I have to worry about what they mean by "refurb".  What could you do?  Nothing but clean and rebox, and maybe run a cursory test on them.     I wonder how many items returned with intermittent faults will go out the door again to unsuspecting customers?

15 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I have to worry about what they mean by "refurb".  What could you do?  Nothing but clean and rebox, and maybe run a cursory test on them.     I wonder how many items returned with intermittent faults will go out the door again to unsuspecting customers?

The page on the site states:

• All refurbished models undergo full testing
  • All refurbished models undergo a final factory inspection
  • All refurbished models are fully functional with genuine parts and the original battery
  • All refurbished models come with a 12 month warranty
  • Cosmetic imperfections like scratches, dents or marks do not affect the operation of the device

I'm not defending/endorsing/promoting Kogan, I know they have a dodgy reputation, but when a product is hard to get and these are available at a reasonable price it seems silly not to mention it.

• Like 1
Just now, pwstereo said:

The page on the site states:

• All refurbished models undergo full testing
  • All refurbished models undergo a final factory inspection
  • All refurbished models are fully functional with genuine parts and the original battery
  • All refurbished models come with a 12 month warranty
  • Cosmetic imperfections like scratches, dents or marks do not affect the operation of the device

I'm not defending/endorsing/promoting Kogan, I know they have a dodgy reputation, but when a product is hard to get and these are available at a reasonable price it seems silly not to mention it.

I am a cynic, but

full testing = turned it on and it worked

final factory inspection =  looked at it - exactly what does looking at a simple device like chromecast tell anyone?

fully functional with genuine parts =  I doubt they replaced any parts, so this a repeat of #1

refurbished models come with a 12 month warranty =  they hope some don't bother returning the faulty ones

Cosmetic imperfections like scratches = yep they may have scratches.  I agree, so what :) 

Personally, I don't buy refurbished stuff like this.   Sure, worth the risk if you need one, they are a great little device (I have one bought new)

On 02/10/2020 at 10:26 AM, pwstereo said:

Not trying to encourage anyone to use Kogan, but I know that Chromecast Audio is now rare, they have some refurbs in stock for $44.00

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/google-chromecast-audio-refurbished/

Thanks. Hate these guys too but I've just bought 2 for my kids to connect to some older mini systems I've set up for them, and combined cheaper than 1 used 1 on ebay.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

full testing = turned it on and it worked

Personally, I don't buy refurbished stuff like this.

I hope you are wrong, but acknowledge it may be true.

The best toaster I ever bought and used was a refurb 🙂

2 minutes ago, JimmT said:

Hi Guys,

Do you  know if they include an AU power adaptor? or you need to supply that your yourself?

Cheers

James

I’ll let you know later today as mine is on it’s way from Australia Post

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JimmT said:

Do you  know if they include an AU power adaptor?

Whan you buy one from a retailer in a box, it comes with a grey power adaper for our powerpoints.

The power adapter has a USB A outlet for the 5V power, you could use a generic mains-USB 5V PSU like a phone charger. A grey USB cable is also supplied.

1 hour ago, pwstereo said:

So a generic PSU, not the grey one with Chromecast logo.

Correct.

I’ve just set it up, connected to an old Sansui G6000 and Usher S520’s, streaming Spotify and sounds good.

• Like 3
On 05/10/2020 at 2:27 PM, silrod said:

Has anyone tried the Xaomi equivalent? I saw a good review of it.

I’ve got different model mi box and its not great because it can’t be added to a speaker group like CCA or CC.    The same might be true for all Android TV devices claiming built in chromecast.       I’m hoping an update will fix one day.  

These  CCA’s from kogan are fine in my experience.    

2 hours ago, Alva said:

Dick Smith also have a few refurbs for sale,

As discussed above, that's the same place. Kogan = DS online.

I took delivery of one of these on Thursday, and either it's faulty or I am. While it works nicely with Spotify and ABC Listen apps on my iOS devices, it is most recalcitrant about engaging with the Tidal app - especially when connected to an optical input. On the odd occasion that it works, success is short-lived. Reboots and factory resets of the CCA have made no difference, so unless someone convinces me the fault lies with the user, I'll be sending it back.

40 minutes ago, electrotek said:

Thanks for the thought. I've seen this discussion, but my issues seem to differ a bit in that 1) they're not confined to high-res Tidal files, and 2) on occasions the CCA has continued streaming a track sequence independently of what I'm asking it to do via the app, even though the latter indicates we're still connected.

7 minutes ago, DPhil said:

occasions the CCA has continued streaming a track sequence independently of what I'm asking it to do via the app, even though the latter indicates we're still connected.

Chromecasts (the video ones) aren't the most stable.  They are OK mostly, but on the odd occasion, I have had to reboot mine when it got confused.

I haven't used my CC audio as much, but they are all just small basic computers and I would expect problems occasionally.  That's where the refurb thing gets a bit fuzzy.  A given device may only play up in certain circumstances and using certain software - and not have ANY problems show up in their testing.

Maybe another one will be more stable...

45 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

they are all just small basic computers and I would expect problems occasionally.  That's where the refurb thing gets a bit fuzzy.  A given device may only play up in certain circumstances and using certain software - and not have ANY problems show up in their testing.

Maybe another one will be more stable...

Thanks - that makes sense. It'd be an impressive little device if I could get a less temperamental specimen. 

16 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Chromecasts (the video ones) aren't the most stable.  They are OK mostly, but on the odd occasion, I have had to reboot mine when it got confused.

Agreed, I reckon I'd have to power cycle my Chromecast Ultra a couple of times a year.

36 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

Agreed, I reckon I'd have to power cycle my Chromecast Ultra a couple of times a year.

As it happens, I had to do this just last night.  Both the CC and the tablet connected to it got terribly confused, and both dropped off the Wifi, and refused to reconnect until rebooted.

I just got mine and set it up into the front MP player 3.5mm input on my Moon Neo ACE as a trial before setting up for my kids. As I'm using the analogue 3.5mm input the Chromecast is using it's own input and doesn't it just sound horrendous! Absolutely no bass, lot's of background hash and way worse than using my iPhone to play Spotify via my integrateds bluetooth input, which I already thought too poor to listen to.

Not impressed at all. Could it simply be the cheap generic usb charger supplied or is the on-board DAC known to be crap? Is there something I'm missing as I'm new to the google stuff? I have a Spotify premium subscription which sounds great on other playback means.

Both my kids hand me down mini systems are purely analogue and I don't want to go ahead with buying 3.5mm to RCA cables if this is the best I can hope for.

Edited by blybo
1 minute ago, blybo said:

Could it simply be the cheap generic usb charger supplied or is the on-board DAC known to be crap? Is there something I'm missing as I'm new to the google stuff? I have a Spotify premium subscription which sounds great on other playback means.

I'd say none of the above. It isn't the best thing in the world, but it should sound good. I'm using the genuine CCA PSU on mine, 3.5mm stereo out to powered speakers. Anything I cast sounds good; TuneIn Radio, Spotify, YouTube (before they broke it to Audio only devices), and anything else I play from phone to the CCA.
Maybe yours is faulty?