JmGO S3 UST projector

Ok, so my Xiaomi WEMAX One Pro ended up stuck in an firmware update loop and trying to stop that I factory reset it which totally borked the projector. Completely unusable. 

I believe the software issue is because it was a Chinese domestic product which the vendor hacked to add English,  a few other features + root access.  I was never able to install apps on it so used HDMI only.  I guess it was defective from the get go. On the upside it was all inside of 12 months so Amazon will be accepting a return for refund.

I'm now looking at the JmGO S3 as that appears to natively support English as it's an international version. It's slightly more than the WEMAX A300 though unlike the WEMAX it's not a domestic Chinese product through rather a proper international product. The software interface looks far better, and it's slightly brighter. The only downside I can see is it doesn't have 8 point positioning though it does have some adjustments.

Considering how much I enjoyed the WEMAX at only 1080p, I expect 4K should be stunning.

Does anyone here have experience with the JmGO S3? 

Edited by MattyW

Nobody? Perhaps I'm better off asking which of two projectors you would personally buy.

In the running is:

JmGO S3 - 3000 ANSI Lumens - $4,305

Fengmi 4k - 2000 ANSI Lumens - $2,938

Would the JmGO be worth the added expense. Help me decide guys. I'm sitting on the fence with this one, sometimes leaning towards one, then the other.  The interface of the JmGO certainly seems nicer and auto connection to active HDMI inputs is a definite plus. I believe some of the Fengmi units exhibit coil whine as well? Really the only reason the Fengmi is in the running is price. Both are 4k projectors.

Edited by MattyW

yep.. none of those listed.. get a real pj for Ht room . if wanting a tv replacement get something you can test.

looks chinese domestic to me.. not that it means its no good being chinese. just not real HT imaging.

"

Edited by hopefullguy

The JmGO S3 has an international version, there's also a domestic Chinese version. I think I'll be giving it a crack. Just need to sell off a few things first. Chinese ultra short throws are the only ones within reach price wise these days and not needing professional installation is a massive plus for me.

Edited by MattyW

2 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

Just don't pay that much, they are $550 us on amazon..

The S3? Do you have a link?

I've been looking at the S3 international version: https://www.banggood.com/International-VersionJMGO-S3-Ultra-Short-Throw-4K-Laser-Projector-3000-ANSI-Lumens-3840x2160-Resolution-Android-2GB+16GB-Beamer-2_4GHz+5GHz-WiFi-Bluetooth4_0-3D-Home-Theater-Prejector-p-1659272.html?rmmds=detail-top-buytogether-auto&cur_warehouse=HK

Edited by MattyW

Hey, I just encountered exactly the same problem with the WEMAX one pro and can't figure out how to fix it. How were you able to get a return for refund? Mine is also within 12 months, however I can't find any return policy saying that I will be able to do so. So frustrating not having realised that the product was already hacked! Which vendor did you buy from on Amazon?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HLaurens said:

Hey, I just encountered exactly the same problem with the WEMAX one pro and can't figure out how to fix it. How were you able to get a return for refund? Mine is also within 12 months, however I can't find any return policy saying that I will be able to do so. So frustrating not having realised that the product was already hacked! Which vendor did you buy from on Amazon?

I dropped it off to the post office on Saturday.  Amazon has said they'll give a full refund once it's recieved back in good condition. It's in its original packaging so there should be no issues there.

I'll need to look up the seller from my desktop PC. My phone has issues signing into Amazon unfortunately.

I simply opened up my old order and opened an online chat with Amazon support.  They sorted things out promptly.  I was really interested in a replacement though they advised since they don't know the sellers stock levels they could only arrange a return for full refund. Now I get to upgrade to a better projector. Naturally I looked at the WEMAX A300 though my experience with this one has turned me off it. That and an owner has found issues with yellow and white spots developing with the A300.

The JmGO S3 is about $500 more on BangGood so I'm going to grab that. Videos show a much more user friendly interface with easily selectable languages which I now recognize as a pretty big deal.

• Like 2

On 05/10/2020 at 12:17 PM, MattyW said:

I dropped it off to the post office on Saturday.  Amazon has said they'll give a full refund once it's recieved back in good condition. It's in its original packaging so there should be no issues there.

I'll need to look up the seller from my desktop PC. My phone has issues signing into Amazon unfortunately.

I simply opened up my old order and opened an online chat with Amazon support.  They sorted things out promptly.  I was really interested in a replacement though they advised since they don't know the sellers stock levels they could only arrange a return for full refund. Now I get to upgrade to a better projector. Naturally I looked at the WEMAX A300 though my experience with this one has turned me off it. That and an owner has found issues with yellow and white spots developing with the A300.

The JmGO S3 is about $500 more on BangGood so I'm going to grab that. Videos show a much more user friendly interface with easily selectable languages which I now recognize as a pretty big deal.

Not bad Amazon! I also ordered from the same vendor. I was in a full blasted panic. I ended up doing a hard factory reset (after the failed soft factory reset)- found via youtube for a different model. It actually worked and just stripped the Android and other bloatware right back to the original Chinese software. Used Google image translate to navigate - and found that there actually was an English setting. I don't use the Android at all so wasn't fussed - but on further research some people have developed Android launchers to download and install so I might have eventually been able to restore that functionality. 

The original is actually much cleaner and I prefer it to be honest! I use everything else through the PS4 so it's just a pure viewer for me. 

Heard good things about the JmGO S3! But I'm hoping by the time I upgrade...I'll have the money for the new Samsung 4K short throw, depending on how it turns out. Huge Samsung fan. 

On a side note - I've heard really bad things about Banggood. Damaged goods turning up and them refusing refunds etc. Tread carefully and best of luck!

Thanks the way for taking the time to outline how you got the refund - I'll keep it in mind for the future! Amazon must just not advertise that they will do this type of refund. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, HLaurens said:

Not bad Amazon! I also ordered from the same vendor. I was in a full blasted panic. I ended up doing a hard factory reset (after the failed soft factory reset)- found via youtube for a different model. It actually worked and just stripped the Android and other bloatware right back to the original Chinese software. Used Google image translate to navigate - and found that there actually was an English setting. I don't use the Android at all so wasn't fussed - but on further research some people have developed Android launchers to download and install so I might have eventually been able to restore that functionality. 

The original is actually much cleaner and I prefer it to be honest! I use everything else through the PS4 so it's just a pure viewer for me. 

Heard good things about the JmGO S3! But I'm hoping by the time I upgrade...I'll have the money for the new Samsung 4K short throw, depending on how it turns out. Huge Samsung fan. 

On a side note - I've heard really bad things about Banggood. Damaged goods turning up and them refusing refunds etc. Tread carefully and best of luck!

Thanks the way for taking the time to outline how you got the refund - I'll keep it in mind for the future! Amazon must just not advertise that they will do this type of refund. 

Ah bugger..... With Amazon everything is out of stock..... It's available on eBay for a further $200. eBay will be great for the initial order though unfortunately after that I'll be on my own. If only I could order on Amazon though even the WEMAX A300 is out of stock on there let alone the JmGO. I guess I could consider the VAVA 4K though for that cost I could look at the WEMAX D30 :(

I guess I'll buy from eBay and turn off automatic updates just in case.

I don't need anything other than easily selectable HDMI inputs. I'll be pairing with an nVidia Shield for the 4K AI upscaling  :D

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

Due to crazy pricing on eBay and no availability of pretty much any thing but the VAVA 4K for $5,500 I've taken a gamble on ordering the JmGO S3 via Banggood. Hopefully it works out alright. While I do feel uneasy with your feedback on Banggood, $5,500 for the VAVA 4K on Amazon or the the JmGO S3 on eBay seems a bit extortionate. With some luck it arrives undamaged. I paid via PayPal so I'll still have some recourse either way.  :)

Edited by MattyW

1 hour ago, MattyW said:

Due to crazy pricing on eBay and no availability of pretty much any thing but the VAVA 4K for $5,500 I've taken a gamble on ordering the JmGO S3 via Banggood. Hopefully it works out alright. While I do feel uneasy with your feedback on Banggood, $5,500 for the VAVA 4K on Amazon or the the JmGO S3 on eBay seems a bit extortionate. With some luck it arrives undamaged. I paid via PayPal so I'll still have some recourse either way.  :)

Ah the VAVA 4k ❤️ Tried to stretch my budget hard for it but no go - had to buy and install a better screen as well (converted to short throw).  I'll cross my fingers for you - I'm sure plenty of people have been lucky and had good experiences. Definitely good to have PayPal backup! And 100% no updates haha - I've learnt that lesson. 

Also - "I'll be pairing with an nVidia Shield for the 4K AI upscaling" awesome!

• Love 1

On 06/10/2020 at 3:27 PM, HLaurens said:

Ah the VAVA 4k ❤️ Tried to stretch my budget hard for it but no go - had to buy and install a better screen as well (converted to short throw).  I'll cross my fingers for you - I'm sure plenty of people have been lucky and had good experiences. Definitely good to have PayPal backup! And 100% no updates haha - I've learnt that lesson. 

Also - "I'll be pairing with an nVidia Shield for the 4K AI upscaling" awesome!

Yeah, fingers crossed. The VAVA was just too exxy for me. I'm only running a very cheap 150" screen that set me back $180 myself. Seems fantastic at night time.

Most of the feedback I've read on Reddit is that most of the users who stated they never received their goods did actually end up receiving it. It's simply the long wait and lack of updates that get to people.

@HLaurens don't forget to update your product review of your projector on Amazon. It really is a problem and in my case I was never able to select a HDMI input again once factory reset. Made it completely unusable to me. The JmGO looks pretty fantastic in terms of the user interface which really does draw me to it, as well as native 4K. A shame it only has 2x HDMI inputs though I can work around that.

Very nice,  the projector is now marked as shipped. Now for the long wait. I don't expect tracking information will be updated,  and probably anywhere up to or even a little over a month till delivery.  I imagine BangGood is the same with Aliexpress in this respect. I've had overall rather good experiences with Aliexpress.

1 hour ago, MattyW said:

Ah great,  been reading some terrible things about Fastway/Aramex. Seems it will be a very long time until I recieve the projector after all.... I just hope they don't damage it or lose it is all.

Things are all over the place currently as everyone knows, but I just received a posted item from QLD today that was sent only two days ago!

So live in despair tempered with a dash of hope ! ?

• Love 1

2 hours ago, evil c said:

Things are all over the place currently as everyone knows, but I just received a posted item from QLD today that was sent only two days ago!

So live in despair tempered with a dash of hope ! ?

I just hope it arrives soon. :)

I jumped all in and ordered a 100" ALR PET Crystal UST screen too. Better than my current 110" white PVC screen I'm sure.

Edited by MattyW

$5500 for a chinese made no name projector... mind blown... sorry. I think you're crazy.

Sorry. $4000 on 'banggood' whatever that is. 40% off ?

Native 4k means nothing if it doesn't have good optics.. And it wont, I'd bet good money on that.

It's not native 4K anyway, it's a 2K DLP chipset with fast moving mirrors. cheating, but faster than what the human eye can pick up. But not native 4k at all. dont fall for the marketing bs.

Don't think it even does p3 colour? You could have got the newest Epson LS500 for the similar money... 

And this is woeful Warranty: 30-day refund or replacement - that is a complete lack of confidence in their product. 30 days... wow.. 

https://www.banggood.com/JmGO-S3-4K-Laser-Projector-TV-3000-LM-Full-HD-1080P-Support-3D-100-300-Inch-Smart-Home-Theatre-Projector-Chinese-Version-p-1433607.html?akmClientCountry=America&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc_ods&utm_campaign=arvin-led-sds-view-led-content&utm_content=arvin&gclid=CjwKCAjw5p_8BRBUEiwAPpJO61vzL1-vvNkhAdY0bk48xl6Ys3ovtCeqKQIHh02oiIfenQWu_73Y2hoCchEQAvD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

Features:

● Amlogic T968 quad-core chip for stable performance
● 2GB DDR3 + 16GB eMMC for smooth running and data storing 
● High transparency coated lens for clear image projection
● 45 degree horizontal and vertical keystone for casual placement and clear image 
● 100Mbps Ethernet for fast network connection 
● 2.4GHz + 5GHz dual-band WiFi for convenient network accession
● Create your own smart home theater
● Enjoy unbelievable HiFi sound quality
● Higher brightness and free eyes harm
● A chance to have a reunion with your family
● Remote control is powered by two AAA batteries ( not included )

Are there any features that actually matter there? 
A chance to have a reunion with your family. Yep cheap chinese projectors always make that happen ?

Sorry for sounding harsh.. but this is really needed here. I really do think this will end up as a very expensive paper weight in the end.
  • Like 1

$7.500 is not similar money. It's 43% more. I already stretched the budget past what I should be spending to get this so there's just no point touting more expensive projectors to someone who can't afford it.

Besides you've incorrectly linked the Chinese version. I've the International version coming: https://www.banggood.com/International-VersionJMGO-S3-Ultra-Short-Throw-4K-Laser-Projector-3000-ANSI-Lumens-3840x2160-Resolution-Android-2GB+16GB-Beamer-2_4GHz+5GHz-WiFi-Bluetooth4_0-3D-Home-Theater-Prejector-p-1659272.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=HK

Frankly I haven't even looked at the warranty. When buying Chinese it's not even a consideration unless they've a presence here in Australia.

Once set up this projector will not be connected to a network. No updates to bork it like the last one. Learned my lesson on that last time. I gnerally find the quality of the hardware good with plenty of Chinese gear, it's the software you have to worry about. Minimize that and there's fewer issues.

I'll have my nVidia Shield going direct into one input and my AVR into the other. Fibre back to the AVR for sound from the shield (I only run 5.1).

My only real concerns are around Aramex/Fastway delivering it. Still no updates since Monday  :(

Edited by MattyW

It's 5400 RRP mate, not 7500. and you get 3 years local warranty and support and can be had for less too.. Anyway, good luck, I think you may need it. Just hate to see people regretting purchases like this that's all.

The specs are the same.. And you still get A chance to have a reunion with your family :D