Good afternoon all,

Would love to hear from anyone who has had experience with Elac speakers, particularly the Debut 2 - B6.2. They get very good reviews and are very affordable at around $700, but unfortunately only come in black. They would be to replace my Wharfedale Diamond 9.5s from around 2005. I bought them when I lived in a full-size house, but now I'm only in a small townhouse and space is at a premium. I use a Yamaha R-N602 receiver with an old Yamaha CD player, which will soon be replaced by a new Yamaha CD-C600 5 Disc Changer.

My longish "shortlist" for speakers is: the Elacs, B&W 606 S2, Dynaudio Emit M20 and Wharfedale Diamond 225. I have also heard good things about Krix Acoustix Mk2s, but their price may put them out of my reach.

My music tastes are primarily 60s - 80s pop/rock.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Johnno49
Additional info.

Posted (edited)

Nordost, no, I haven't heard Klipsch in action, although I've read that the RP-500Ms are good. Did you have any particular model in mind?

Edited by Johnno49
Additional info.

22 hours ago, Johnno49 said:

Would love to hear from anyone who has had experience with Elac speakers, particularly the Debut 2 - B6.2. They get very good reviews and are very affordable at around $700, but unfortunately only come in black.

Apollo HiFi are advertising that they will be coming in Walnut soon. Not sure if that helps.

I  know Frank Prowse HiFi have ELAC in their range. Maybe worth dropping past.

18 minutes ago, John Doe said:

Apollo HiFi are advertising that they will be coming in Walnut soon. Not sure if that helps.

I  know Frank Prowse HiFi have ELAC in their range. Maybe worth dropping past.

I live in country Victoria, John, so both of those are out of the question. I'm thinking when Melbourne exits lockdown, I'll go and audition some Elacs and also some Klipsch, along with a few others.

• Like 1

I have had the Pioneer BS22 LR, Elac Debut, Elac Unifi and now using the Elac Adantes. So pretty much most of the Andrew Jones designed speakers. It is very hard to beat them at their price points. However for your choice in music which is 60s to 80s rock, the debut might be a little harsh. It is not the speaker's fault. Garbage in is garbage out and most of the music recorded in that Era which are in streaming sound quite bad. So ideally look at speakers which are forgiving at the top. Wharfedale Denton might be in your price range. 

• Like 1
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By sum1
      Item Condition: As New. Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Beverly Hills State: New South Wales Payment Method: EFT, Cash on Pickup, Paypal with fees on the buyer unless sent as a personal payment Reason for selling: Moving on Further information:
      Got a few nibbles before but item still available.

As New Condition.
      Complete with the original box, receipt and warranty.
      Purchased locally from Digital Cinema at 26/06/2020 so the local warranty still have a long validity on them.

Selling as I got a little crazy during lockdown and purchased 3 different budget speakers 
      As far as I can tell there is no local store that stocked this speaker as i think the PSB brand is not popular in Australia even though its predecessor the Alpha B1 was popular worldwide and so is this new Alpha P5 .
      So ended up having to do an order in on them, used it for about 1 month after which I upgraded to a more expensive speaker.

Not the best performing with a mini Class D Yamaha amp but it scales well with a higher performing amp such as the vintage Marantz tube pre/power combo on my mains setup.
      Supposedly this have great synergy with NAD amplifiers since they belong under the same parent company.

Comparison against KEF LS50 (Taken from https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/reference-components/1390-recommended-reference-component-psb-alpha-p5-loudspeakers)

Further Reviews
      https://www.stereophile.com/content/psb-alpha-p5-loudspeaker
      https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/psb-alpha-p5-loudspeaker/

Photos:

• By sum1
      Item Condition: As New Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Beverly Hills State: New South Wales Payment Method: EFT, Cash on Pickup, Paypal with fees on the buyer unless sent as a personal payment Reason for selling: Moving on Further information:

AS NEW condition.   The plastic wrap on the logo is not even peeled off yet.
      Purchased on 07/2020 
      Complete with box, receipt and warranty.

They looked pretty good in white actually,  and should appeal to the apple product lover.
      Selling as i bought too many budget speakers recently.

When comparing this to the PSB speaker which i'm also selling IMO the Q's perform better on a budget amp but the PSB sounds better when its paired with a better amp.

Pickup is preferred but i do have the original box so in theory shipping is also possible at an agreed cost.

The Q 3010i is a slim-line bookshelf or stand mount speaker from Q Acoustics core loudspeaker offering, designed to deliver beautiful sound into your home, from a compact cabinet design

Key Features
      Slim-line & versatile design to shelf or stand mount to fit seamlessly into your chosen listening room 25% larger cabinet than its predecessor delivering a larger scale sound and deeper bass P2P™ bracing – helps keep the enclosure extra quiet through computer aided placement of internal bracing Uses a 22mm decoupled High Frequency Driver with wide surround creating a wide even dispersion of stereo image Low Profile Terminals - recessed cut-out reduces cabinet noise and allows them to be close proximity to rear walls New low profile binding posts have been incorporated with sockets deep enough to accept 4mm (0.16 in) Banana Plugs  
      Product specs:
      https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/2989/s/q3000i-range-3010i-bookshelf-speaker/

Review:
      https://www.whathifi.com/au/q-acoustics/3010i/review

Photos:

• By mikeymikey85
      Item Condition: Used Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: South Hurstville State: New South Wales Payment Method: PayPal, EFT, Cash on pick-up Reason for selling: Upgrading Further information:
      Martin Logan motion 35XT bookshelf speakers in gloss black. Purchased new in 2018 and comes with box and accessories. Beautiful speakers with unbelievable imaging and detail. Cosmetic and working condition 10/10. Postage Australia wide available. Please ask for quote. QED jumper cables not included. 
      Focal stands can be included for an additional $200.00

• By mogsmith
      Item: small bookshelf speakers 
      Price Range: ~350-500
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info:
      For a beginners vinyl setup. Will be powered by a Rotel RA-10 with a Sansui SR-212 turntable. 
      Open to suggestions but prefer a warmer sound. 
      Am Brisbane based (Southside)

Thanks!

• By sum1
      Item Condition: 2 months old. slight cosmetic defect Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Beverly Hills State: New South Wales Payment Method: EFT, Cash on Pickup, Paypal with fees on the buyer unless sent as a personal payment Reason for selling: NLR Further information:

Its only 1.5 months old but disappointingly straight from the retailer there is a slight cosmetic defect on the surface of one of the speaker that can be seen depending on the way the light bounces of the white surface and the retailer told me that sometimes this happens as they are craft wood and as long as the vinyl wrap is good then it's fine and since there is no damage to the vinyl wrap at all, considering that it is indeed a budget speaker I figured its within their quality acceptance criteria.
      Does not affect the sound as far as i can tell and there is still plenty of time left on the warranty. 
      Pickup is preferred so the buyer can inspect the condition firsthand but i do have the original box so in theory shipping is also possible at an agreed cost.

This is an AUS stock and i will provide a copy of the invoice for warranty purpose.
      Note this is the 3020i which is the larger brother of 3010i which i also have  for sale in white colour as well.
      In theory if you want to you can buy them both and find the matching center speaker and sub for it to make a full Q acoustic home theatre setup.
      They both share the same sound signature but the 3020i gives more mid and midbass but somewhat slower sounding while the 3010i sounds more airy and nimble.
      Do note that the Q's have a longer/deeper cabinet than their competitors which supposedly done for their sounds tuning.

Selling as i bought too many budget speakers recently.
      When comparing this to the PSB speaker which i'm also selling IMO the Q's perform better on a budget amp but the PSB sounds better when its paired with a better amp.

The Q 3020i is a bookshelf or stand mount speaker from Q Acoustics core loudspeaker offering, designed to deliver beautiful sound into your home, using the latest technological enhancements applied to the full 3000i series.
      Key Features
      25% increased cabinet volume from previous models delivering a larger scale sound and deeper bass P2P™ bracing – helps keep the enclosure extra quiet through computer aided placement of internal bracing Uses a 22mm decoupled High Frequency Driver with wide surround creating a wide even dispersion of stereo Low profile terminals - recessed cut-out reduces cabinet noise and allows them to be used near to rear wall New low profile binding posts have been incorporated with sockets deep enough to accept 4mm (0.16 in) Banana Plugs  
      Specs
      https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/q3000i-range-q3020i-bookshelf-speaker.html

Review
      https://www.whathifi.com/au/q-acoustics/3020i/review

Photos: