Subwoofer choice for small room

Hi all,

Looking for advice selecting a subwoofer for a small room and have shortlisted the SVS SB-1000 or SVS SB-2000 Pro as they seem like good value for performance.

The system consists of Bluesound Node 2i, RME ADI2 FS DAC, DIVA Bass Control (an Analog Bass equaliser), Weston Acoustics Topaz KT120 into WLM Diva Mk2 Monitors.

The Divas go down to 32Hz and for the most part that is low enough for a lot of the music I listen to, however I think even in this small room a Subwoofer would be beneficial. 
The room is 3m wide x 4m long, double brick with acoustic brick internal walls, carpeted floor, front corner bass traps, rear ceiling corner foam traps and rear wall covered in 150mm Polymax. Single window has a thick floor to ceiling curtain covering.

While absolutely no science has gone into treating this room, it sounds pretty good to me however I’m sure there’s plenty more potential with it.

My question is, would the SVS SB-2000 Pro be too much subwoofer for the room?, it’s a few hundred dollars more than the SB-1000 however has a lot more power, goes down to 19Hz and has some level of adjustment through PEQ/ DSP.

The only benefit of the SB-1000 is (1) it’s a bit smaller so would be better suited to small room (2) it’s cheaper

I will be connecting Sub via speaker level inputs.

All comments, advice and suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by lebowski
Room size correction

I was recommended one of the entry level REL subs to integrate with my PMC DB1 GOLD'S, not sure if it was an 8 or 10inch woofer, but inexpensive all the same. I thought they'd be more suitable for surround setups but the salesman from Lifestyle Store suggested he 's auditioned the same setup  on many occassions with excellent results.

I'd pop down to a REL retailer in Melbourne, a handful of CD'S your very familiar with and audition a range of bookshelf's with/ without a sub in place. Should be a fairly straight forward exercise and an easy decision to whether go for the REL or look elsewhere.

Frank.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maximus said:

I was recommended one of the entry level REL subs to integrate with my PMC DB1 GOLD'S, not sure if it was an 8 or 10inch woofer, but inexpensive all the same. I thought they'd be more suitable for surround setups but the salesman from Lifestyle Store suggested he 's auditioned the same setup  on many occassions with excellent results.

I'd pop down to a REL retailer in Melbourne, a handful of CD'S your very familiar with and audition a range of bookshelf's with/ without a sub in place. Should be a fairly straight forward exercise and an easy decision to whether go for the REL or look elsewhere.

Frank.

thanks for your suggestions Frank. I have heard that REL Subs are best with music. Will investigate further.

2 hours ago, petetherock said:

A square room is a bit tricky... but I’ll root for a JL Audio e110 or the Dominion Series if the former is too dear..

I just measured again, the room is actually 3m wide x 4m long. Not sure that makes much difference. Will check out JL Audio.

Thanks

I too have a small room (larger than yours though, mine is 5x3m) and use an SVS 2000 Pro. Given the constraints of your room I would most definitely resort to digital room correction for anything under 100 Hz. I am not familiar with what the DIVA bass eq does so cannot say if that would be able to replace DSP.

The SVS 200 Pro has DSP  and in-built room calibration and as such it is going to be much better suited to your needs, albeit at a higher price. You do not have to worry about the size of the sub too much if it comes with DSP, as it will automatically reduce its output when it hits you room modes.

Edited by o2so
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mloutfie said:

I think as long as you have dsp the larger size sub is ok in my experience since but any sub you put in need to battle that 3x3 room size

yes, was thinking the DSP will give greater flexibility and might be easier to integrate even though it’s the larger,  more powerful Sub.

Thanks 

6 hours ago, o2so said:

I too have a small room (larger than yours though, mine is 5x3m) and use an SVS 2000 Pro. Given the constraints of your room I would most definitely resort to digital room correction for anything under 100 Hz. I am not familiar with what the DIVA bass eq does so cannot say if that would be able to replace DSP.

The SVS 200 Pro has DSP  and in-built room calibration and as such it is going to be much better suited to your needs, albeit at a higher price. You do not have to worry about the size of the sub too much if it comes with DSP, as it will automatically reduce its output when it hits you room modes.

found out the SVS SB-2000 doesn’t have speaker level input 

Sorry Mark no I don't. Your room is close to mine in size, one man room really at that size as mine is.

I'm not much of a bass head but I'm listening to new speakers that have a down firing omni directional woofer that have increased the bottom end I usually hear through my OB's, early days though as more listening is needed and tweaking.

Be interested to see how you go with this. Cheers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lebowski said:

I just measured again, the room is actually 3m wide x 4m long. Not sure that makes much difference. Will check out JL Audio.

Thanks

Huge difference mate... huge..

Also, the REL subs which are musical are in their higher range..

The HT 1205 is very decent, but it's better for HT:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/rel-ht1205-review.html 

If you can spring for the JL Audio E series, you won't regret it... I'm running a brace of the E112 in my room which is about 3.9 by 4.2 m

• Like 1

Assuming you integrate it properly, there is no such thing as too much sub for a room in terms of output or quality.

And whatever your room size or dimensions I’d be doing Sub eq.

Subs are the easiest speakers to build. A driver of x size in a box of y size will reach z frequency. If z frequency isn’t low enough, you goose the response with EQ.

So there are ‘subs’ which can't possibly work at sub frequencies. Like the REL with the 8 or 10 driver mentioned above.

The SVS subs will, but a better choice due to its connection flexibility might be one of the Rythmik subs. They will go lower than the SVS (Not louder), have built-in EQ and multiple hook up options.

• Like 2

On 30/09/2020 at 10:23 AM, lebowski said:

My question is, would the SVS SB-2000 Pro be too much subwoofer for the room?

There is almost no such thing.  Especially if you want it to play quite low (and EQ it so it does) ... then larger subwoofers can play those low notes with much less distortion.

If you can afford the space and price, then it's a good idea.  Especially given the EQ feature (IMO this is probably the most compelling reason, FWIW)

• Like 2

My daughter has a small room for her system, and uses a Cambridge integrated amp and Acoustic Energy AE1 speakers. She is now using a REL T5i that I bought second-hand here on the Forum--what a fantastic musical addition. Simple solution for her.

• Like 1

On 01/10/2020 at 6:12 PM, Ooogh said:

How about a legend Kurlo or a pair of Kurlettes? Dr Rod is a straight shooter, would be well worth a phone call. Great local product.

I was going to suggest a single Kurlette. Tight and musical sealed 10 inch sub. Ought to be more than enough in a 3 x 4 room. 

I hooked mine up using speaker inputs with my Legend Joey IIs.  I’m no bass head and ultimately preferred the sound without, but they did integrate very nicely IIRC. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2020 at 1:45 PM, philwill1971@gmail.com said:

I have a small 8 Velodyne, takes speakers, comes with Remote control so you can just switch off easily if you want. Its not being used at the moment as I moved rooms. These are worth around $350

still have these, id be interested as im in the same boat as OP. do they have line level in and outs?