VAF i93 SignatureMKIII SE.

While doing upgrades of my system keeping a balance between components is important to me. When it comes to speakers I have been lucky to hear the Worlds best over the last 5 years at various Shows. Im always happy to get back home to the sound of my Vaf speakers. I just done the VAF i93 SignatureMKIII SE upgrade and happy so far. First noticeable change was how solid they sound.Reminded me of the Magico Sound. Next to no vibration through the cabinet due to the high density lining. The speakers must weight over 100Kg now. Bass and Tweeter blend in so well giving a nice sound stage and instrument separation. Now time to sit back and enjoy the music...

Stump

1723781765_DSC00951(2).thumb.JPG.1ca5f5d4c20834383dbdca12147c5756.JPG

DSC00953.thumb.JPG.c36c791fb83e97413c97d91baeb838b8.JPG

DSC00954.thumb.JPG.98cea93cb3b87f2bf9b0252ad8e8a7ff.JPG

VAF i93 SignatureMKIII SE.

The SE version for the i93MKIII is something very special. We've gone all out including matched super refined high speed Beryllium tweeters, high density loaded cabinetry increasing effective mass by over 25%, high speed capacitors in the critical signal paths, silver soldered terminations, heavy gauge high quality Analysis Plus internal cabling.

• Like 24
  • Love 2

Guest Peter the Greek

I'll always have a soft (maybe "hard" would be better?) spot for these

I owned a pair of  MkI's for a good few years....then they wouldn't fit in the new room. I love the story and ethos behind the company too. And they were so very excellent to deal with - a wonderful experience all round.

Nice to hear they hold their own again the show goers. 

Edited by Peter the Greek

1 hour ago, Grumpy said:

G'day Eamon, did VAF do the upgrades ?

Still love my VAFs although they are MUCH further down the VAF speaker ladder.

You know its going to be a good job when the speaker designer himself does the upgrade.Always welcome to come and spin some vinyl Grumpy..?

• Like 4

Wow Stump, that is an awful lot of speaker for the money, I would hate to think what a comparable build quality would cost from the US. 
Fantastic to see you supporting not just an Australian manufacturer but one from Adelaide. I have never heard a negative word about VAF.

Have you had a listen to the active model?

Lots of happy listening ahead, enjoy.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

Wow Stump, that is an awful lot of speaker for the money, I would hate to think what a comparable build quality would cost from the US. 
Fantastic to see you supporting not just an Australian manufacturer but one from Adelaide. I have never heard a negative word about VAF.

Have you had a listen to the active model?

Lots of happy listening ahead, enjoy.

Cheers

I had a listen to the range of VAF i93 a month ago and at previous Shows. The same speakers being room dependent can sound different each time.Given I have a narrow room I am use to the sound it produces.Hearing the VAF i93 in a members wide room gives an almost 180 degree sound stage. I wasn't overly impressed at the Vaf Showroom given its size and uneven reflections points.For me having heard Vaf over 30 years I could understand the theory behind the upgrade and still went ahead.A true listen to the active model would have to be done in my room but no plans going down that track just yet..?

Stump

• Like 2

Stump, very nice, is the magnesium tweeter upgrade still available ? (was cheaper than the berylium).

As you stated all speakers are room dependent, Vaf speakers have always sounded much better in my lounge room compared to the Vaf showroom/demo rooms

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rhythm Willie said:

Stump, very nice, is the magnesium tweeter upgrade still available ? (was cheaper than the berylium).

As you stated all speakers are room dependent, Vaf speakers have always sounded much better in my lounge room compared to the Vaf showroom/demo rooms

The I93 Mk 111 comes with  Magnesium Alloy tweeter.The SE adds the  Beryllium tweeter. Ive had the week to tweak positioning and play various LPs and CDs . Extremely enjoyable sound and well worth the upgrade.

Stump

Stump

I have a very similar painting at home to the one you have on the right hand side......

A Bromley?

Benje

ps  I don't think they are doing Soundwall upgrades yet.  Mine are 12 years old now.

Edited by Benje
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Benje said:

Stump

I have a very similar painting at home to the one you have on the right hand side......

A Bromley?

Benje

ps  I don't think they are doing Soundwall upgrades yet.  Mine are 12 years old now.

Bromley has done a few portraits. I have had this 8 years now. They will do custom upgrades if you need it..?

Stump

https://kottke.org/18/04/self-portraits-drawn-by-david-bowie

Edited by Stump
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, warweary said:

G'day Stump,

How are those i93 MkIII SE settling in?

Merry Christmas.

Thanks for asking. They  sound great from the word go. The Beryllium tweeters produce sounds with realism. The extra lined cabinetry almost eliminated speaker vibration allowing for  more detail and space around   the sound stage. Nice solid Bass and a non fatiguing listen experience. Having Vaf speakers over a 30 year period and to be able to upgrade there top of the line speakers and still enjoy the music says something..

P.S when you coming around for a listen?

Enjoy your Holidays

Cheers Stump

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Stump said:

35mm Bisalloy 400 Armour  steel plate... There heavy....?

Stump,

does it provide much benefit?

Only asking as I am about to embark on the same model speakers.

Pigpen.

34 minutes ago, Pigpen said:

Stump,

does it provide much benefit?

Only asking as I am about to embark on the same model speakers.

Pigpen.

I had the plates for the Vaf I66 so they are a bit small but do the job for the Vaf I93s. For my situation they are a big benefit as a solid base for the wooden floors .I did have them with Stillpoints Ultra Five footers before but now use them elsewhere. For yourself just remember any external vibration affecting the speaker box will affect the speaker and the end sound result.The high density lining in the upgrade made a big difference in the vibration side of things..?

Stump

• 1 year later...

Hi Stump

Still enjoying the sounds of your i93's goodness?

Been awhile since the last post on your thread.

I am getting my second pair of i93's done as taking advantage of the current 15% off at VAF .

These are going to our other home which has a huge man cave upstairs.

The i93 mk1's  which are getting upgraded sounded very good in the big expanse 15m x  11m so I am eager to hear the improvement.

My first upgraded pair are in a smaller room 6m x 6m and sound sensational.

VAF are  creating a collage of photo's during the upgrade of my speakers and will be posting them on their facebook page to show everyone how it is done.

I have attached a pic of the actual hand wound inductors (the two mammoths at the front) that will be used in my 2x new crossovers, along with the cabling that will be used internally.

Absolute magic !!!

Crist's hand wound inductors and cable.jpg

Edited by CCRider
  • Like 6

I sometimes thing the i93s are an under rated speaker - currently my SW19 subwoofers are inert cat stands as the 93s have bottom end in spades and given my currently imperfect listening room, imaging and sound staging that still impresses me no end.

• Like 4

Cheers CCrider and Pigpen

The Vafs are still producing 10/10 enjoyment level. With my Amp and CD player upgrade since first post I am definitely  getting %100 out of the speakers. Your i93 mk1's makeover should be a big jump and sound like new with that Vaf speaker signature sound.I have compared my Vafs to $50K speakers but they didn't come close to the imaging and sound staging I get from the V I93s.I have no doubt my system now could run and get the best out of some expensive speakers . There have been 2 speakers I have listened to and said to myself they would go well in my room.They were priced at $250K and $120K.....Even at %50 used discount I dont see them replacing the pleasure I get from the Vafs anytime soon..

Stump

P1070137.jpgEDIT.thumb.jpg.87b2a9812b4539868c4bf457ae0f6740.jpg

P1070143.jpgEDIT.thumb.jpg.0bd7f81589a1d7b3fa59f5c6d8321895.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 1