I'm so dumb!!!

Think I may of exceeded possible levels of dumbness.

Few years back purchased a Panasonic TH EX600A due to plasma dying, I recall it wasn't the cheapest panel. But ever since I though it was only HD or 1080.

I set Fetch to 1080i at 50hz and set my Pana 420 4K player to 1080 as well.

This morning I was browsing settings in Fetch, saw 1080i thought I should check, surely it's capable of 1080p. Googled tv model number, it's 4K and 60hz!!!!

What a complete fool I've been.

Better rewatch every 4k movie in 4k now.

You may laugh at me. Especially considering I've been wanting to buy a 4k panel.

• Like 7
  • Haha 9

9 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

I've heard it's best to burn-in new panels at lower res for a few years to get them looking their best ?

Haha, might have to use that.

All this time wanting a 4k panel, getting a 4k player (for Atmos) having a Marantz SR6014 (new few months ago) I had one sitting right in front of me.

• Like 1

Follow up questions

Checking 420 4k player it seems i can only get 4k if video and audio are on separate outputs, is this right?

I have been using just 1. Audio+video

Also will the sr6014 pick up the 2 inputs as being from one device?

I Believe it is hdcp2.2 compliant as is tv.

Thinking I need another hdmi cable.

5 minutes ago, SGS said:

Checking 420 4k player it seems i can only get 4k if video and audio are on separate outputs, is this right?

No, 1st HDMI gives you both Video & Audio, 2nd HDMI gives you Video only (for PJ or other video devices)

5 minutes ago, SGS said:

I have been using just 1. Audio+video

Correct, that's the way I have my 420 output setup - 420 HDMI1 -> AVR BD/DVD -> AVR HDMI ARC to TV

5 minutes ago, SGS said:

Thinking I need another hdmi cable.

No you don't

Edited by exitguy

8 minutes ago, SGS said:

Also should I use 4k 4.4.4 or 4k 4.2.0

Page 17 of the manual shows you how to do the 4K setup, it will do an auto negotiate to find the best signal configuration

Edited by exitguy

Reason I ask is that looking at settings of the 420 there is a comment that states 4k cannot be output when video plus audio is selected.

Under hdmi, video format

If I were to get a projector I would connect that to the avr.

All sorted now.

I misread a bit, the no 4k with video and audio refered to the audio output only. The 2 separate connections were mainly for use with non hdcp2.2 avr to run audio to avr and video to tv.

I did discover the the main output is recommended to have a 18gbps min cable, mine was maybe 11, which might have been causing handshake connection issues. I now have 24 gbps cables 4k player to avr then to tv.

Have also changed 4k player to 4k and 4.4.4 and works fine.

So all is looking good to watch in 4k now.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/09/2020 at 11:39 AM, SGS said:

Think I may of exceeded possible levels of dumbness.

Few years back purchased a Panasonic TH EX600A due to plasma dying, I recall it wasn't the cheapest panel. But ever since I though it was only HD or 1080.

I set Fetch to 1080i at 50hz and set my Pana 420 4K player to 1080 as well.

This morning I was browsing settings in Fetch, saw 1080i thought I should check, surely it's capable of 1080p. Googled tv model number, it's 4K and 60hz!!!!

What a complete fool I've been.

Better rewatch every 4k movie in 4k now.

You may laugh at me. Especially considering I've been wanting to buy a 4k panel.

Better late then never! Just saved some coin on a new 4k tv.  

• Like 1

Not sure if this compares, but the other day I watched Sonic 4k disc and thought it sounded pretty good. When the movie finished I got up to switch off the gear and realised that the pre-amp wasn't even on so I had no front left or right sound throughout the whole movie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Well I've been enjoying my newly acquired 4K image, in 4K.

I only started buying 4K discs for the Atmos.

I recently picked up the Harry Potter set in 4K to replace my DVD copies, only the last movie was Bluray. Really impressed with the work done on the sound, some great Atmos moments,  though image was good, it wasn't up with movies filmed in 4K. My son loved it as well.

11 hours ago, rodders3 said:

Hmmm - came here to see what an idiot the op was, left realizing fetch can do 4k. I have been watching 720p on a 4k TV for at least the last 3 years! Pass me your crown.

Consider the crown passed ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TP1 said:

Wasn't there supposed to be an update to fix this?

Well mine has Software 3.10.2 Abercrombie which I'm pretty sure is the latest, Firmware 3.7.9470, and no 2160P option. All it shows is up to Auto, 1080P, 1080I, 720P, 576P and 480P

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

Well mine has Software 3.10.2 Abercrombie which I'm pretty sure is the latest, Firmware 3.7.9470, and no 2160P option. All it shows is up to Auto, 1080P, 1080I, 720P, 576P and 480P

Strange. I have an old Fetch Mighty box and it does have 2160P and HDR options under video settings. Have you confirmed with Fetch  that not all Mighty boxes can do 4K?