Outdoor speakers and amp for patio - recommendations?

I want to put speakers and an amp to run them, connected to iPhone or iPad. I've done some research but starting to get drowned in options.
This is going into a gable patio, 10m long by 5.5m wide and attached to the house on the 10m side, the other sides all being open.

First requirement is music for parties, so sort of background loud. Then I want a bit of volume if I am working in the yard.
My budget is $1,000.
I am a Bose fan so 251 Environmental appeal, at $625. However, I am happy to look at others. I do prefer full sound so some good bass would be nice. The 151 Environmental seem OK but I have not heard the difference. I've been looking at Polk as well.
The amp I would like something small and simple – it will only run the two speakers and I would like to have it connected via Bluetooth. I see that some amps use Apple airplay but I am not a techno aware person so not sure of this is as stable as bluetooth?
So I have looked at the ebay screamers for about $100 which pack about 40w per channel, but have also gravitated towards the Bose Soundtouch SA-4 amp, as it is small, powerful and runs around $400 on ex-demo pricing. I don't want or need a full sized amp as it will only run the outdoor speakers, and I don't see us going to more than 2 speakers anyway.

I see the Resi-Linx RL-BT600 is being offered by some shops so maybe that's a decent option?

The amp will be within 6-8m of the ipad/phone so distance is good for bluetooth. If it is a small amp I can put it in a cupboard or even the ceiling if needed to make the range fit.

I'm OK with wireless bluetooth speakers but I need decent sounds. We currently use a Bose Cinemate 2 as the streaming stereo and I know I won't get that powered sub bass but thats the sound I am aiming for.

Any suggestions, based on experience? In Sydney we have Eastwood hifi and The lifestyle store so they have the decent names between them but not sure if they have outdoors set up.

I am using the Bose SA-5 amp on our patio (under main roof) and love it. It has the added advantage of airplay functionality, and the 2 sets of speaker outputs allow me to connect to 2 x full range in-ceiling speakers and 1 x Cambridge Audio in-ceiling subwoofer (great for a bit of extra bass at parties).

I always   wanted some  Niles  to try in my garage  and they replaced  some polk atrium  5

What this showed me was that the polk atruim   5 is a really good speaker for the money  

There is an audiolab m one   going for  a good price on ebay   hook that up to a couple of polk  or similar    will sound good 

I had the audiolab hooked up on my balcony with some   older model b+w   rock solid speakers ( there is 3 on ebay for  $200  )  so one spare with really good results

Edited by david j

So today I bought a Yamaha WXA-50 and an Accent Acoustics Hide 8" 100amp subwoofer. Got what I think was a good deal from Eastwood hifi (200 bucks off the amp).

Listened to Paradigm and Yamaha speakers with mixed results. With the sub the speakers are reasonably similar - not equal but.

I also went and listened to Klipsch and Bose. My ears liked the 251 Environmental as they had a nice filling sound. All the others sounded very bright with no depth.

So I am thinking I will go with Yamaha AW592, as my original budget is now hit.

Whats the thoughts on these? Am I selling short by saving 100 bucks?

• 1 month later...

I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect outdoor setup for a while and after some patience managed to get some second hand gear that is close to your budget but is truly awesome. 

I got a pair of B&W AM1 speakers and a Bluesound Powernode 2. 

I am absolutely elated with how it sounds. Might be a bit of a stretch (was for me) and may need some patience but totally worth it. 

• Like 1

Well by luck I found a never used pair of Bose 251 and bought them.

So far, I am totally happy with their sound, I didn't use the sub and returned it.

For my spot this is a great setup and very happy. The depth of sound is good and the Bose are not bright like the Yamaha or Paradigm I checked with good natural bass.

• 5 months later...
On 09/11/2020 at 8:53 AM, itsme said:

Well by luck I found a never used pair of Bose 251 and bought them.

So far, I am totally happy with their sound, I didn't use the sub and returned it.

For my spot this is a great setup and very happy. The depth of sound is good and the Bose are not bright like the Yamaha or Paradigm I checked with good natural bass.

Still happy with the bose 251s?

Yes, they do a good job. They do perform better at higher volume but just as good for background music at a BBQ.

The supposed 'wide sound field' I don't really get, as I can find the centre spot between the speakers to even the sound. I will at some point angle them in a little bit as currently they shoot straight out along the bearers for the roof.

Compared to the Cinemate system I have for the TV they lack bass, but they do sit under a tin roof with totally wrong placement for a speaker.

I have wondered if the subwoofer would improve it, but I really don't have an easy way to hook it up (or a desire to run new cables).

All in all, I'm happy with them and would use them again.

The Yamaha music cast works well too, the only complaint is lag between hitting your phone and the amp reacting but that's getting really picky.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, itsme said:

Yes, they do a good job. They do perform better at higher volume but just as good for background music at a BBQ.

The supposed 'wide sound field' I don't really get, as I can find the centre spot between the speakers to even the sound. I will at some point angle them in a little bit as currently they shoot straight out along the bearers for the roof.

Compared to the Cinemate system I have for the TV they lack bass, but they do sit under a tin roof with totally wrong placement for a speaker.

I have wondered if the subwoofer would improve it, but I really don't have an easy way to hook it up (or a desire to run new cables).

All in all, I'm happy with them and would use them again.

The Yamaha music cast works well too, the only complaint is lag between hitting your phone and the amp reacting but that's getting really picky.

Thanks a tonne for the feedback! 

I like the Bose 251’s , have them connected to a Bluesound Powernode 2i and a little Jamo down firing sub the corner in the pool house been no 

issues with outdoor elements so far.

Good luck.

3EDFFFC3-227C-4863-8E78-D6F7C14187F4.png

Edited by paking
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pcking said:

And a pair on the deck too !

Lovely set up! I was looking at the Klipsch AW525 also. Yet to go in and compare in store but on the cards. 

Bluesound Powernode 2i out of my budget however looking at using zone B on the Denon1600AVR.

• Like 1