Imaging to the right on TT

I’ve just got my new (to me) Pro-Ject RPM 5, 9cc evo tonearm and 2m black set up.

Imaging is shifted to the right (or left if I reverse the cables).

It’s perfect on digital.

Is this out and out an azimuth issue? Or could it be anti - skate.

The cartridge has settled quite a bit (20 hours), but the imaging hasn’t budged.

My speakers are 3 metres apart, and the centre image is about 50cm to the right, and seems to bloom in that direction.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

Is this out and out an azimuth issue? Or could it be anti - skate.

Some quick things to check if it's an anti-skate problem

Does the cantilever look to be sitting centred when viewing end on while playing a record?

Does the image shift change position as the record plays - is it different at the start/middle/end of the record?

11 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

Imaging is shifted to the right (or left if I reverse the cables).

Is it a separate phono preamp?  If so, swap both the input and output cables. What happens?

Also, can you try a different phono preamp?

Edited by aussievintage

3 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Some quick things to check if it's an anti-skate problem

Does the cantilever look to be sitting centred when viewing end on while playing a record?

Does the image shift change position as the record plays - is it different at the start/middle/end of the record?

It straightens up a bit as it plays, but not much.

I don’t ow where to start in the rest!

2 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Is it a separate phono preamp?  If so, swap both the input and output cables. What happens?

Inbuilt phono - but I get the exact reverse if I swap left to right (imaging to the left, same proportions).

Just now, aussievintage said:

Just play a record, and listen.  Does the problem get better or worse, or stay the same throughout the record?

Marginally better as it plays.

2 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

Inbuilt phono - but I get the exact reverse if I swap left to right (imaging to the left, same proportions).

OK so it could be the phono preamp has slightly different gain in each channel.  Have you ever used it with a different cartridge to this one?

Just now, aussievintage said:

OK so it could be the phono preamp has slightly different gain in each channel.  Have you ever used it with a different cartridge to this one?

Yup - just upgraded, and no issues at all with the previous.

I would have thought swapping left and right, and getting a corresponding imaging change to the left would have ruled out the phono?

2 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

Shall play with the anti-skate weight

Keep in mind that skating force varies across a record.  So in addition to the actual weight/force being used, you can try to adjust that.  I don't know if it's possible on your tonearm (it is on my SME tonearms), but changing the angle that the string pulls at, by changing the position of the support, can change how much the anti-skate force varies as the records plays.

Fixed :)

Normal anti-skate weight on a project arm. It was in the middle one (of three), and is now on the closest to the arm. The furthest from the arm introduced a lot of distortion.

ty all!!!!!!

51 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

Normal anti-skate weight on a project arm. It was in the middle one (of three), and is now on the closest to the arm. The furthest from the arm introduced a lot of distortion.

ty all!!!!!!

Gotta love it when you get a good result eh.. :)

1 hour ago, Billy Shears said:

Well done!  :thumb:

Normal anti-skate weight on a project arm. It was in the middle one (of three), and is now on the closest to the arm.

That means you have set anti-skate to the minimum amount.

You might want to check azimuth, just to make sure (perfect azimuth means that the stylus is sitting vertical in the groove).  The 'quick & dirty' method of doing this is to rest the stylus on a thin mirror (the shiny side of a CD is good for this! :) ) and look front-on at the cart.  You should be able to see that the cantilever - and its reflection in the mirrored surface - form a straight (vertical) line.

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, andyr said:

You might want to check azimuth, just to make sure (perfect azimuth means that the stylus is sitting vertical in the groove).  The 'quick & dirty' method of doing this is to rest the stylus on a thin mirror (the shiny side of a CD is good for this! :) ) and look front-on at the cart.  You should be able to see that the cantilever - and its reflection in the mirrored surface - form a straight (vertical) line.

Andy

Ty - but I’m far more likely to break something instead of anything else!

Andy, whenever i try the mirror trick, the tonearm just slides straight out as soon as the stylus touches the mirror. Does this mean something is amiss, are you supposed to use something to hold it the tonearm in place or should it stay put itself?

8 hours ago, ericd said:

Andy, whenever i try the mirror trick, the tonearm just slides straight out as soon as the stylus touches the mirror. Does this mean something is amiss, are you supposed to use something to hold it the tonearm in place or should it stay put itself?

Since you are setting the Azimuth only, disconnect the anti-skate, or set it to zero.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, andyr said:

Andy

Nice tip!