Hi-Rez down conversion to CD - Can it be done?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a programme that will allow me to make CD quality copies of higher resolution files? Do such programmes exist?

I have been downloading quite a few albums in the higher level formats recently, and enjoying the better sound, but would like to be able to make lower (CD) level files that I can use, via a USB stick, in my car player. The Alpine unit in my car tops out at converting 44.1/16 which precludes playback of anything above and beyond.

Help.

I should say that, if it isn't spelled out in words that a pre-schooler would understand, my eyes and brain tend to glaze over when reading software instructions. I was reminded of that earlier after downloading the Audacity programme that @muon* recommended.

OK, not sure why it isn't working for me, should just be a mater of dragging all files from an album into audacity and 'select all' and then export multiple tracks and set that to microsoft pcm 16 bit.

Might be as I'm running win 7 and not 10

I'll restart and try it again as i have just installed audacity

Just drag the album files into the audacity window and once they are loaded in there, go to select at the top and 'select all'

Now go to file at the top and down to export and export multiple, and set the file type to Microsoft pcm 16 bit.

Edit: OK, no need to add the number in front.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

OK got it, you change the 'project rate' in the bottom tool bar in the bottom left corner of audacity's window to 44100 after you have loaded the files into the audacity window, and just do the original exporting thing at microsoft pcm 16 bit. No need to do that resample step.

When I used to do this stuff I was using Wavelab.

221955330_Projectrate.jpg.79acafe1c30a1d6ba6ddd5bd46bee87b.jpg

Edited by muon*

2 hours ago, muon* said:

drag and drop, then just a few clicks with audacity :D Really, how time poor are people where a click or two is a deal breaker :unsure:

More people still use windows PC's anyway.

Mac here!

9 hours ago, muon* said:

drag and drop, then just a few clicks with audacity

Audacity really isn't a tool designed for this job (batch conversion of audio).  It's like trying to drill a hole with a screwdriver.

dbPoweramp, batchconverter are probably the best on windows.   MediaMonkey or Jriver can also do it (but they're full "do everything" players, so not something I'd suggest adopting for this simple purpose).

I'm a bit out of touch with this, being a Mac desktop person and just using XLD.

15 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

I have dbPoweramp already but can't find a process with it that turns hi-rez into 44.1/16, can you elucidate for me please?

No worries.

If you start 'Music Converter' you get a window just like File Explorer that you can use to navigate to where the hi-rez files are stored and select one or more files.

Select the File/s then click on 'Open'.

This opens a Dialogue Box where you set the format details and the location where you want to save the files.

For Encoding, select 'Wave', then make sure the other settings are:

- 16 bit (CD)

- 44.1 kHz (CD)

- 2 'stereo' (CD)

When you've entered the location where you want to save the converted files, click on 'Convert'.

These wav files can now be used with any CD burning software.