Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

Will be used so infrequently but oh so valuable when you do need them I think!

For the price a worthy addition to the toolkit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In a few months a cheap Chinese alternative will come out. They'll be called 'wire tweezers' and will sell for 6$. I'll buy those.....xD

Link to post
Share on other sites


16 minutes ago, stevoz said:

In a few months a cheap Chinese alternative will come out. They'll be called 'wire tweezers' and will sell for 6$.

 

Undoubtedly!  :thumb:

 

16 minutes ago, stevoz said:

 

I'll buy those.....xD

 

 

I certainly won't !  Tweezers need to be stiff - so when the tips are gripping something and the 2 sides of the shank of the tweezer are apart, slightly ... they don't bend in and touch each other (which would reduce the closing pressure of the tips).  The Chinese alternative will be made of cheap, crap Chinese steel - so will not be as stiff as the Nazotec.

 

Andy

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get yourself a cheap pair of tiny needle nose pliers, and drill a suitable sized hole where the jaws meet, up near the tip. Then grind back the tip to suit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

Undoubtedly!  :thumb:

 

 

I certainly won't !  Tweezers need to be stiff - so when the tips are gripping something and the 2 sides of the shank of the tweezer are apart, slightly ... they don't bend in and touch each other (which would reduce the closing pressure of the tips).  The Chinese alternative will be made of cheap, crap Chinese steel - so will not be as stiff as the Nazotec.

 

Andy

 

China buys it's iron ore from us.....it'll be great steel!xD

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just put in a order.I like the idea.I could have modified my Chinese Tweezers but $30 will not break the bank....
Will be available for loan in Adelaide.........

E1A92633-2704-45C0-B758-FCFDEE5EAC81.thumb.jpeg.b925ea84087bc556b786d21e9cf5ea28.jpeg

Edited by Stump
Link to post
Share on other sites


9 minutes ago, stevoz said:

China buys it's iron ore from us.....it'll be great steel!xD

 

You obviously don't get around much, to screwing screws into various materials - like:

  • grub screws which hold the wires in a mains plug.
  • hardwood.

 

30 years ago, stripping the head off a screw was an uncommon experience; nowadays, it is commonplace.  The reason: we stopped making screws here in Oz - from Oz steel - and only import screws made in China.  Sure, they use iron ore from Australia to make their steel ... but there's a lot more to making (quality) steel than just heating up iron ore.

 

Edited by andyr
Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a pair of these for that type of work:

 

Kelly Forceps

 

kelly.jpg.4c597b3c101a73725ffc5350932ab1f1.jpg

 

You can often get them for a dollar or two, from the tool guys at some of the big outdoor shows, such as outdoor campng fishing etc shows. They may be second hand from hospital dumps though LOL, so wise to give them a good sterilization before handling them too much.

Edited by bob_m_54
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

I use a pair of these for that type of work:

 

Kelly Forceps

 

kelly.jpg.4c597b3c101a73725ffc5350932ab1f1.jpg

I sell them for work.  Little bit more than $30 though 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

You obviously don't get around much, to screwing screws into various materials - like:

  • grub screws which hold the wires in a mains plug.
  • hardwood.

 

30 years ago, stripping the head off a screw was an uncommon experience; nowadays, it is commonplace.  The reason: we stopped making screws here in Oz - from Oz steel - and only import screws made in China.  Sure, they use iron ore from Australia to make their steel ... but there's a lot more to making (quality) steel than just heating up iron ore.

 

I know, I know.....I'd never knowingly buy Chinese screwdrivers or screws.....but my cheap Chinese socket set has lasted over thirty years.:P

Link to post
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Bill125812 said:

I sell them for work.  Little bit more than $30 though 😁

Your's probably didn't come from a dump though.. The ones the dodgy tool sellers at the outdoor shows could be from anywhere.

 

I have a set of anti wicking tweezers, for soldering, amongst my stuff in the shed too. They could probably be used to do the same job, by using them backwards.. kinda LOL. But they are around $50 or more per pair.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bill125812 said:

I sell them for work.  Little bit more than $30 though 😁

Yes, the 'clampibility'B| of these is very handy. :thumb:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Yes, the 'clampibility'B| of these is very handy. :thumb:

Enough clampability to squash a cartridge wire connector if you aren't careful. LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

That could be made in China too!

Made in China doesnt mean anything, companies pay peanuts to get things made in China, you get peanuts. BTW, most steel are from China...What happen to all these cheap vinyl pressing? May be you get better pressing in China!? Haha😂

 

Edited by dwbasement
Link to post
Share on other sites


Koodak Jewellers Supplies: a veritable Aladdin's Cave of precious metals, specialist parts and tools! A visit to this shop (post covid) is a an absolute must! Meanwhile post your only option!

 

https://koodak.com.au/

 

Opening Hours:  9:00am - 4: 00pm Monday - Friday (Hours UPDATED: 23/3/20)
E:  koodak@koodak.com.au

P:  (03) 9654 5811

M: 0404587338

A:  4th Floor, 125 Swanston St, MelbourneVictoria, Australia. 3000

 

eg make your own silver cables and interconnects, they sell silver wire cheap, just supply your own teflon or other tubing

 

they have a huge range of specialist pliers, very handy for fine work eg cartridge leads

 

You want tweezers? Antimagnetic stainless steel $5, many types available, very handy near strong magnets such as cartridges!

 

https://koodak.com.au/products/soldering-consumables-sst?variant=32902861133

 

They sell jewellers saws too, also very handy for fine metalwork..... where a hacksaw just won't do!

 

regards Ian

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevoz said:

it'll be great steel!xD

Really.  Just consider the steel in the rail lines that the Vic Govt bought from China.  Trains went off the rails and the track had to be replaced.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Assisi said:

Really.  Just consider the steel in the rail lines that the Vic Govt bought from China.  Trains went off the rails and the track had to be replaced.

What does that to do witht the steel? Apparently it is maintenance issues...

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Assisi said:

Really.  Just consider the steel in the rail lines that the Vic Govt bought from China.  Trains went off the rails and the track had to be replaced.

It's like everything you buy from China, they supply a quality depending on the price you want to pay..

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Assisi said:

Really.  Just consider the steel in the rail lines that the Vic Govt bought from China.  Trains went off the rails and the track had to be replaced.

Didn't notice the laughing emoji?¬¬:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

It's like everything you buy from China, they supply a quality depending on the price you want to pay..

Exactly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Didn't notice the laughing emoji?¬¬:)

I have never used an emoji.  I don't even know how.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dwbasement said:

What does that to do witht the steel? Apparently it is maintenance issues...

My understanding was that back in 2016 some track at Nth Melbourne was replaced as it caused damage to the wheels on the Vline trains.  Who Knows the answer?  It wasn’t BHP track which is still in existence at some stations that I frequent.

John

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...