Recommend NBN FTTN router.

Hi,

I have a different NBN set-up at home, it's FTTP and has nothing to do with Telstra, so I'm struggling a bit here...

The mother-in-law has FTTN and a Telstra modem.  the wi-fi is crap, I've measured it with Wi-Fi Sweetspot and it's bad in key parts of the house.  She bought a new router, DLink D-fend AC2600 router because I said go with AC wifi to get better coverage.  I advised her to s/t the local computer store, and this is the one they recommended.  I went to set-up the new router today and found only 1x DSL wall port that the current Telstra router is using.  The DLink does not have a DSL port.  AIUI, she needs a router that has a DSL port.

That being the case, I want to seek out one with AC wifi...

1. Do they exist?
  2. Is AC worthless considering it's a FTTN connection?

If AC wifi is worthless given this set-up, what's a router that's FTTN compatible that will provide far better wi-fi performance than the standard Telstra router that is supplied???

Edited by Kaynin

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

Hi,

I have a different NB set-up at home, it's FTTP and has nothing to do with Telstra, so I'm struggling a bit here...

The mother-in-law has FTTN and a Telstra modem.  the wi-fi is crap, I've measured it with Wi-Fi Sweetspot and it's bad in key parts of the house.  She bought a new router, DLink D-fend AC2600 router because I said go with AC wifi to get better coverage.  I advised her to s/t the local computer store, and this is the one they recommended.  I went to set-up the new router today and found only 1x DSL wall port that the current Telstra router is using.  The DLink does not have a DSL port.  AIUI, she needs a router that has a DSL port.

That being the case, I want to seek out one with AC wifi...

1. Do they exist?
  2. It it worthless considering it's a FTTN connection?

If AC wifi is worthless given this set-up, what's a router that's FTTN compatible that will provide far better wi-fi performance than the standard Telstra router that is supplied???

Is the Telstra modem the big square white one (gen 1)?

Edited by awayward

12 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Looks like this piece of carp here -

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.6ee0d862fa09d88388f6328a082542bd.jpg

I’m using this modem and find it excellent for Wi Fi, my modem is on the top floor and I’m working from home on the ground floor, probably 20m away, no issues streaming video conferences for the last 6 months while working from home. This modem specs state AC Wi Fi, 

Other key specifications for the Smart Modem Gen 2 include dual band 4x4 MIMO AC Wi-Fi, four gigabit Ethernet LAN ports, one gigabit Ethernet WAN port, WPS, and a single USB 3.0 port.

1 hour ago, awayward said:

I’m using this modem and find it excellent for Wi Fi, my modem is on the top floor and I’m working from home on the ground floor, probably 20m away, no issues streaming video conferences for the last 6 months while working from home. This modem specs state AC Wi Fi, 

Other key specifications for the Smart Modem Gen 2 include dual band 4x4 MIMO AC Wi-Fi, four gigabit Ethernet LAN ports, one gigabit Ethernet WAN port, WPS, and a single USB 3.0 port.

Awesome!  Unfortunately not the case at the MIL’s house.

Do you have management access to the Telstra supplied router?

Perhaps you could turn off the wi-fi in the Telstra router and connect your new router to a LAN port on the Telstra router and use the wi-fi of the new D-Link router.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

Do you have management access to the Telstra supplied router?

Perhaps you could turn off the wi-fi in the Telstra router and connect your new router to a LAN port on the Telstra router and use the wi-fi of the new D-Link router.

Ooooh, good idea.  Hadn't thought of that.  I'll keep that in mind when I'm next there.  Good thinking 99!