Warranty transfer and for sale ads

Wasn't sure where to post this. But I wanted to see what experience people have had with warranty transfer. My understanding is that legally, warranties don't transfer with on sale. Of course retailers and manufacturers can still choose to honour them.

I see a lot of people include claims their stuff is still under warranty in the fs forums and always wonder whether they really are.

Anyone have any experience with this? 

if you see something you like check on their website. i have read some that state the manufacturers warranty only exist with the first purchaser or a purchase made from a authorised retailer ie: not a second hand sale.

others like svs go with the unit no matter how many times they are sold.

then their is the aust consumer guaranty but that does not apply to private sale of goods, from my readings anyway.

as always just because a seller says their is a transferable warranty do your own due diligence.

• Like 1

And if the manufacturer/distributor is willing to honour the warranty, they may require the original receipt to verify sale date (aka start of warranty date). 

I agree with @hopefullguy , don't take the seller's word (which may be given in good faith) - check with the people who will hopefully honour it. 

I think more warranties should be transferable, as long as a copy of the receipt can be produced and the serial number matches up in a DB.  Not sure it prevents users selling goods second hand but it does force down the price for 2nd hand goods due to risk attached.  My guess is not many additional new sales will be generated due to this approach to warranties.

Warranties are basically time based and should be honored as such

• Like 1

22 hours ago, redrich2000 said:

My understanding is that legally, warranties don't transfer with on sale. Of course retailers and manufacturers can still choose to honour them.

My understanding is that, provided proof of purchase can be offered, it is actually unlawful for a company or distributor to deny a warranty claim ( regardless of owner) as long as the item has not been used in a commercial situation.

A warranty is just that. A company should agree to repair or replace a faulty or failed component or speaker/s so long as it is within the actual warranty time period and not evade a legitimate claim just because one private owner has sold the goods to another private owner.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...