Here are a few pics of my Accuphase E-202 restoration. Now using it as main preamp in my system.

This E-202 had been neglected in a bayside garage for many years and was showing the effects of this - dry boards, mild corrosion and flagging capacitors to name a few.  

All circuit boards restored and re-soldered. Replaced most electrolytic caps and the odd cracked or toasty resistor. Electrolytic caps replaced with Elna Silmic II radials and Vishay axials.  The 4 main 10K filter caps replaced with Nichicon KG.

Finally sent off to Audiovisual Devices, Capalaba (delete if not allowed) for final check-over, bias set-up and soak test and it was ready to go.

Although at 140W PC into 4 Ohms it could power my Dynaudio Focus 260 MkII’s reasonably, it couldn’t quite fill them out enough, so I’ve relegated the E-202 to preamp duties going through a Yamaha P2200, another vintage eye-opener from 1978. This thing powers the Dyns effortlessly and brings out wide dynamics even at low levels.

Finally a system that makes more of my records sound good and seems more capable with more genres. As close to an all-rounder system as I’ve ever had.  

I'm sure the neighbours are loving it too.

1. Accuphase E-202 Amp in rack (5).jpg

3. Accuphase E-202 Nearly Finished (9).JPG

4. Accuphase E-202 Main Filter Caps new (2).JPG

5. Accuphase E-202 Main Filter Caps new (3).JPG

6. Accuphase E-202 Face clean 09.02 (1).JPG

7. Accuphase E-202 Face clean 09.02 (2).JPG

8. Accuphase E-202 Face clean 09.02 (3).JPG

9. Accuphase E-202 (3) cracked resistor.jpg

10. Accuphase E-202 (7) cracked resistor.jpg

11. Accuphase E-202 amp module before effect - Copy.jpg

12. Accuphase E-202 Filter Board 1 (5).JPG

13. Tone Amp PCB After All Caps Replaced (2).JPG

14. Accuphase E-202 phono board before (3).jpg

15. Accuphase E-202 Main output Amp Transistors (2).jpg

16. Accuphase E-202 Output Transistors (4).JPG

18. Accuphase E-202 Nearly Finished (3).JPG

Edited by Hi Fi Delirium
Delete extra photo
  • Like 7
4 hours ago, Hi Fi Delirium said:

so I’ve relegated the E-202 to preamp duties going through a Yamaha P2200, another vintage eye-opener from 1978. This thing powers the Dyns effortlessly and brings out wide dynamics even at low levels.

The P2200 is just about the best value power amp I've heard and out performed many lauded 'audiophile' amps I compared it to.  I wish I still had my pimped P2200, it was a beast. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Peter_F said:

The P2200 is just about the best value power amp I've heard and out performed many lauded 'audiophile' amps I compared it to. 

This has been my experience too, but I am yet to recap the P2200 so that will be interesting. .

Yamaha P2200 Restored to Working Partial (1).jpg

I had a lovely E -202 that served me faithfully for many years. An absolute beauty in the flesh, they look the way you imagine an amplifier should look as a kid.  Only downside were those old screw down speaker lead terminals. The low enhance button would always get a push for late night low level listening. Great to see you are taking such good care and reviving it to tip top condition.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Hi Fi Delirium said:

This has been my experience too, but I am yet to recap the P2200 so that will be interesting. .

Yamaha P2200 Restored to Working Partial (1).jpg

I had mine recapped with Rifa caps and had the aluminum earth bar replaced with 35 x 10mm solid copper bar, as well as quality binding posts, RCA sockets and heavy duty power cord. 

• Thanks 1