I haven't had this on a table for about 12 months and have never noticed this. It used to play fine but this doesn't look right to me. Shouldn't the cantilever be straight? Is this fixable?

150mlx2.thumb.jpg.834d49d08c671ce64b73702957f55194.jpg

150mlx3.thumb.jpg.d3c1e8ba03999b77660c5df7251c60de.jpg

The cantilever looks very much out of alignment.  It may be possible to straighten this (though it is a delicate operation, particularly on this cantilever) or you can try to install and align to the cantilever and not the cartridge body.  But the real concern will be how it got out of alignment,  and if this indicates uneven wear on your microline stylus - alignment is cricial for this advanced shape. 

Fascinating thread here btw featuring amazing imagery of  wear on an AT150mlx : https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=117945

Edited by mkaramazov

Given that the cantilever appears to be straight, I suspect that you have the same problem that I had, which is a broken tie wire that holds the suspension to the cantilever. You can see this if the grey circular base at the bottom of the cantilever moves independently of the white circular object that it sits on. In my case, for a moving coil, the consensus seemed to be it was possible to fix, but this would cost more than the worth of the cartridge. Given you have an MM, at least you can get a new stylus, albeit not a cheap on for that model! Here is the topic I posted, with some photos, which may help with identifying what is going on with yours. Good luck.

Justin

18 hours ago, blakey72 said:

I haven't had this on a table for about 12 months and have never noticed this. It used to play fine but this doesn't look right to me. Shouldn't the cantilever be straight? Is this fixable?

150mlx2.thumb.jpg.834d49d08c671ce64b73702957f55194.jpg

150mlx3.thumb.jpg.d3c1e8ba03999b77660c5df7251c60de.jpg

It is hard tell as not in focus. Cant see if cantilever is bent or something is snagging one of the magnets, remove and reinstall the stylus maybe something is hooked up. If cantilever is bent it can be fixed.

Chris

4 hours ago, cafe latte said:

It is hard tell as not in focus. Cant see if cantilever is bent or something is snagging one of the magnets, remove and reinstall the stylus maybe something is hooked up. If cantilever is bent it can be fixed.

Chris

Ok, thanks Chris. I'll see if I can take a better pic with a decent camera. Could it have happened by not using any antiskate? Someone told me not to worry about using it so it ran for a while pulling towards the inside of the record.

Edited by blakey72

1 hour ago, blakey72 said:

Ok, thanks Chris. I'll see if I can take a better pic with a decent camera. Could it have happened by not using any antiskate? Someone told me not to worry about using it so it ran for a while pulling towards the inside of the record.

Very odd, cantilever is fine. Something is messing with suspension. how is rear? The way AT work it should no be possible for this to happen. Check rear of the stylus. I can have a look, but this looks like something physical  causing this.

Chris

22 minutes ago, cafe latte said:

Very odd, cantilever is fine. Something is messing with suspension. how is rear? The way AT work it should no be possible for this to happen. Check rear of the stylus. I can have a look, but this looks like something physical  causing this.

Chris

Not sure what you mean by 'rear' ? You mean behind that screw?there's a gold dot, the end of the cantilever I'm guessing.

13 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Could it have happened by not using any antiskate?

No, that is a tiny (and steady) force compared to something like a record warp or actually tracking the groove of a record. This is either a manufacturing defect, or a handling mishap.

14 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Not sure what you mean by 'rear' ? You mean behind that screw?there's a gold dot, the end of the cantilever I'm guessing.

No remove the stylus and look at the back.

Chris

3 hours ago, cafe latte said:

No remove the stylus and look at the back.

Chris

The last pic I tookis the stylus removed looking at the back (under the stylus that contacts the body) I think.

10 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

150mlx12.thumb.jpg.4ec476f668e1456bca329d111ebc148e.jpg150mlx11.thumb.jpg.6682e1d42c9cc1e83ee812f1c213101a.jpg

150mlx10.thumb.jpg.42fcfa5b93debb2c30a7b595440f11db.jpg

My guess is the tie wire  is twisted and pulling to the side or pulled loose allowing the stylus to sag off to the side. If it was mine I would be gently loosening screw and gently pressing tip and tightening screw. Dont attempt unless you are confident.

Chris

13 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

150mlx12.thumb.jpg.4ec476f668e1456bca329d111ebc148e.jpg150mlx11.thumb.jpg.6682e1d42c9cc1e83ee812f1c213101a.jpg

150mlx10.thumb.jpg.42fcfa5b93debb2c30a7b595440f11db.jpg

Actually looking again the cup the stylus sits in looks bent?? That takes a lot to bend and tricky to bend back, it must have had quite a bang, surprised the cantilever is ok.

Chris

1 minute ago, cafe latte said:

Actually looking again the cup the stylus sits in looks bent?? That takes a lot to bend and tricky to bend back, it must have had quite a bang, surprised the cantilever is ok.

Chris

Hmmm strange.I don't recall it ever having a mishap. Should I just look to replace the stylus? I've seen a couple for around the 150 pound mark from the UK.

19 hours ago, blakey72 said:

150mlx6.thumb.jpg.b9cd6ce317c81b71a37ec547bdad7f84.jpg

It does look bent rather then twisted! Depending on age I would send it off for repair..

Stump

458603232_AudioTechnicaAT-150MLX.jpg.a3d7c9204ee6489e87ec677c2691855b.jpg

Edited by Stump
7 minutes ago, cafe latte said:

Yes it can be fixed and as already said dependant on age of stylus if it is worth doing.

Chris

I'd say it's probably got 50-100 hours on it. Have you got a few hours to spare Chris 😁

14 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Should I just look to replace the stylus? I've seen a couple for around the 150 pound mark from the UK.

Be interested in where you can attain this stylus for 150 pounds... I thought they had all dried up!  

15 hours ago, blakey72 said:

I'd say it's probably got 50-100 hours on it. Have you got a few hours to spare Chris 😁

Drop me an email.

Chris