<$3K Integrated Amp with HT bypass??? So many options!

noisuf

8 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

The speakers noisuf is looking at are o ohms and 91dB sensitivity so should be loads loud enough.

0 ohms might be challenging for some amps haaa ? ? ?

Anyway I realise they are 6 ohms. 

Personally I'd like to blast 'em with 200W and I'm a guy that has always had 93dB speakers, but that's just me.  What's that you're saying? ... my hearing's not what it used to be haaaaa! ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tripitaka said:

0 ohms might be challenging for some amps haaa ? ? ?

Anyway I realise they are 6 ohms. 

Personally I'd like to blast 'em with 200W and I'm a guy that has always had 93dB speakers, but that's just me.  What's that you're saying? ... my hearing's not what it used to be haaaaa! ?

0 ohms, might not recommend a tube amp hey haha. I'm an idiot, better fix that ?

Ok, got the Gross today. To test it out, connected it to through a Win10 laptop, pumping DSD through Jriver.

I just have to say, wow. I heard instruments in some tracks playing Norah Jones that I hadn't really heard before. She sounds more forward when she sings. The instrumentation is not as loud but is refined. The vocals are more realistic.

I compared this with the original SACD through the player flipping back and forth. I have to be honest.......I A/B tested with my 11 yo son and his choices between the two were all over the place. lol

Now to get an Amp to really power this baby. Oh, and also, I'm going with the Adelaide/Ascension 6 ohm speakers too. :D

Edited by noisuf
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hawk66 said:

The Adelaide/Ascension choice is a good one.. I have the Timberwolves and they are amazing across all genres of music.. Which model are you going with?

Haven't quite committed yet, but will go artisans if I do....based on the summoners

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, noisuf said:

Haven't quite committed yet, but will go artisans if I do....based on the summoners

I thought your intended speakers, the 1093, were indeed summoners, which are available in either standard or Artisan cabinet finish?

1 hour ago, Jone5y said:

Did you grab the Cambridge amp @noisuf ?

After many unsuccessful attempts for other ads, I'm VERY happy to say I did it this time @Jone5y:)

So so happy. The seller was so great to talk to and deal with. Can't wait to get it.

Speakers next but I'm now thinking of appreciating the Gross DAC with this amp...............and then when Melb opens up more, testing out speakers by bringing this DAC along with my test tunes on USB.

• Like 1

I'm now in the market for one myself so I've been watching this thread and the classifieds closely, also missing out on a few you had your eye on ?

Good plan on the next steps, hopefully you don't have to wait long

Well, you have one less person competing with you then. ;)

The classifieds are hard, gotta be like a hawk. And in the end, being first doesn't necessarily guarantee that you've got it. I've been very lucky and in a way, worked out I missed out on the Conrad Johnson.......and also the Luxman recently. Good luck on your search too.

19 hours ago, noisuf said:

After many unsuccessful attempts for other ads, I'm VERY happy to say I did it this time @Jone5y:)

So so happy. The seller was so great to talk to and deal with. Can't wait to get it.

Was that the 840A? If so, good job I reckon

Cheers

35 minutes ago, noisuf said:

Hey, nope, I snagged the 851A! So so so happy. ? Seller has been so great.

even better ? and 80% of ur budget remaining unspent ?

Does it have HT bypass...

Edited by tripitaka

Thats a really good price, congrats.

BTW you can work around having no HT bypass but setting the volume to 12 o'clock and adjust the AVR output volume for the fronts when using it for TV/Movies. I did that with my CXA80 for a while, just remember to turn down when using other sources! The downside is there where a couple of movies I forgot to turn it up to that mark only to realise after watching it, that sucked. I watched Dunkirk with them waaaay down ?  a testament to the quality of mixing into other channels.

Side note and yay for me I picked up a Parasound Halo 2.1 that has HT bypass for a bit over 2k and what is even better is that it includes 2 sub woofer inputs as part of the bypass ports. Very cool and now that I have seen it I wonder why more integrated don't do that.

23 hours ago, Jone5y said:

I'm now in the market for one myself so I've been watching this thread and the classifieds closely, also missing out on a few you had your eye on ?

Good plan on the next steps, hopefully you don't have to wait long

What about this one Jone5y?

4 hours ago, tripitaka said:

even better ? and 80% of ur budget remaining unspent ?

Does it have HT bypass...

Yep, has like 6 inputs which can all be used as bypass. :)

Helps with the speakers budget. ;) 

1 hour ago, PauliD said:

Thats a really good price, congrats.

BTW you can work around having no HT bypass but setting the volume to 12 o'clock and adjust the AVR output volume for the fronts when using it for TV/Movies. I did that with my CXA80 for a while, just remember to turn down when using other sources! The downside is there where a couple of movies I forgot to turn it up to that mark only to realise after watching it, that sucked. I watched Dunkirk with them waaaay down ?  a testament to the quality of mixing into other channels.

Side note and yay for me I picked up a Parasound Halo 2.1 that has HT bypass for a bit over 2k and what is even better is that it includes 2 sub woofer inputs as part of the bypass ports. Very cool and now that I have seen it I wonder why more integrated don't do that.

It's good the 851a has heaps of bypass so don't need to do anything manually. really stoked with the price.

On 06/10/2020 at 4:29 PM, noisuf said:

Speakers next but I'm now thinking of appreciating the Gross DAC with this amp...............and then when Melb opens up more, testing out speakers by bringing this DAC along with my test tunes on USB.

sounds like no hurry then, what speakers do u use currently just out of curiosity?

13 minutes ago, noisuf said:

7.1 setup from 12 years ago.....speakers ppl wouldn't know, AAD speakers designed by Phil Jones.

Mike current speakers.pdf 512.06 kB · 2 downloads

Those fronts look pretty reasonable,  at least as much as one can reasonably surmise on face value.  

I gather your replacement budget is now 5K, after some shrewd dealin' on the dac & amp? ?