2020 reboot of Rolling Stone's Best 500 Albums

Lists schmists. However, this 50 something, classic rock & jazz loving, dedicated indie/alternative child who still buys new releases, approves of the new rejigged list. Reading through I was feeling "yes. Yes! YES!"

Source

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-albums-of-all-time-1062063/

Easier to read 

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/list/1500-rolling-stones-500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-2020/1

A viewpoint 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-26/rolling-stones-greatest-albums-of-all-time-sparks-debate/12698338

Like all lists, I score very low, having only 18! :sad:. Highest was Fleetwood Mac Rumours at #7.

Going back under the rock... 😉

Hi All,

Only looked at 1 -50 and had 16, mostly the Beatles in that group plus a smattering of others.

Very subjective, as are all of our picks

JJ

Edited by Janjuc

I've got 31 in the the top 100. Not much of a Top 100 though when it doesn't include a single Butthole Surfers or Killdozer album.

Went through the complete list, I have 92 out of the 500. Not many and that pleases me.

Good to see Pavement get 2 albums. 

Edited by deanB

When I saw Yes - Close To The Edge at number 445 I knew this list was gonna be somewhat skewed against my own preferences so stopped looking after the first 100, of which I had 18.

An interesting perspective on a lot of the newer music which has been included but probably at the expense of some other older classics we old farts might have expected to be included.

Sheesh, some of these acts and bands I have never heard of..........

Now's where's that nursing home again??????

'Only' managed 3 in the top 10 with a smattering in the top 100. And, yes, it's good to see a wide, new mix come through. Interesting to see artists, songwriters, producers and industry vote on this. Can't argue with that. You'd think they'd have their professional heads screwed on 'right' and make great selections. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't an obvious [to me] global journalist effort to contribute to the votes. It all seemed a little 'U.S' centric. I suppose, we could say the same thing for 'our' Triple J hottest 100; it's skewed to the voters also. All in all, a great new list of music to explore 🙂 I'll stop whining and enjoy the spring sunshine and showers.

@zenikoyI think I fit a similar profile (but add in a classical music enthusiast) and this list might be aimed at me!

Still, very US centric but I guess it is a US mags list...

I love lists

And Rolling Stone magazine up to the late 70’s

About 95% of the records I bought were because of record reviews mostly in Rolling Stone

Used to be a great magazine now just silly

Except for the politics 

Ive got about 120 of them

I did laugh when I saw Rumours ahead of Blood On The Tracks though

On the other forum site a similar thread had hundreds of reply’s and got shut down as people expressed their hatred for Rolling Stone magazine and dismissal of the new list as political correctness

which I think was because a black person was at 1 and women were included much higher and more often

Although I’m not sure if I got that right because it is such a

weird way to look at something as simple as a best record ever list

But it made entertaining reading and interesting that people remain passionate about music

Which I didn’t think they did anymore

• There are a lot of compilations in this list, which I don't agree with.  A "best of" album is a creative statement, which makes a significant impact on release or in retrospect.  A compilation isn't a creative statement, so I don't think should be on the list (not saying that compilations don't represent worthy artists or that they can't be good).
  • There are quite a few on this list that I don't think have "stood the test of time" to be on a "best of" list.
  • There is a lot on the list I don't have. 
  • There is a lot on the list I haven't heard yet, but would be open to. 
  • There is a lot on the list that I have no intention of listening to.
  • There's quite a few on the list that's in my collection (approx 175, however, there are a small number that I bought due to their reputation and didn't like).
  • There's a lot in my collection that I think should be on the list but isn't.  But I don't work for Rolling Stone.
  • All in all, it's a list that recognises that there is a lot of music released since I let go the need to keep up with a lot of contemporary music.  And I have to recognise that that's OK. And it's a Rolling Stone list, which I assume has to keep it's advertisers happy. 

Edited by audiofeline

I had a paltry 4 :

Massive attack at 383

RHCP at 186

Led Zeppelin at 58

Pink Floyd at 55

I haven't heard of, and wouldn't want to listen to, 90% of all those albums !!

19 hours ago, niterida said:

I had a paltry 4 :

Massive attack at 383

RHCP at 186

Led Zeppelin at 58

Pink Floyd at 55

I haven't heard of, and wouldn't want to listen to, 90% of all those albums !!

I find that a bit sad actually 😧

OK being an Excel & Data Jockey, I couldnt help dumping and sorting the list into Excel and having a play. Was kind of surprised by my results.......

Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time [2020]

CDs/Vinyl on the list I own - 184

Albums I know and love, but for some reason I have not yet got a copy (blame home taping, illegal downloads or streaming) - 18

Artists I have seen perform live - 54 (of 339 unique listed)

Excel spreadsheet here if anyone wants it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10F5-nylrt5zzQ6crwLAqYFzcH9fCByQy/view?usp=sharing

Edited by zenikoy
20 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

And from that data, a histogram chart:

image.png

Interesting. About 45% are from 1970 to 1984.

Be interesting to plot the 2003 list against this. The 60s albums have taken a beating methinks. 

Edited by zenikoy
28 minutes ago, zenikoy said:

Be interesting to plot the 2003 list against this. The 60s albums have taken a beating methinks. 

This is also a natural shift in the perception of influence.  When I was younger, music I thought was most influential was from the 60/70's.  Although I acknowledged that music from earlier decades was significant, it wasn't significant in my life (at the time).  So I can understand how younger generations don't see the music from the 60/70's as influential as I do, because they didn't experience the impact as directly as I did.  It is the music of their generation that they witnessed shifts in musical direction, and therefore consider to be more significant. 

Edited by audiofeline
On 27/09/2020 at 9:44 PM, zenikoy said:

OK being an Excel & Data Jockey, I couldnt help dumping and sorting the list into Excel and having a play. Was kind of surprised by my results.......

Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time [2020]

CDs/Vinyl on the list I own - 184

Albums I know and love, but for some reason I have not yet got a copy (blame home taping, illegal downloads or streaming) - 18

Artists I have seen perform live - 54 (of 339 unique listed)

Excel spreadsheet here if anyone wants it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10F5-nylrt5zzQ6crwLAqYFzcH9fCByQy/view?usp=sharing

Can’t help but admire your interest 

@zenikoy

hope I can say this here

Check out Steve Hoffman Forums 

Theres a thread there with hundreds of replies

Interesting read for our age group 

Edited by keyse1
3 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Why doesn't Phoebe Snow feature?

No one likes her?

1 hour ago, Luc said:

No one likes her?

I'm not so sure about that, but if that were the reason for no mention, then nobody liked Merl Haggard, ZZ Top, The Monkeys, and Deep Purple's album Machine Head (the highest selling album of all time at the time) was a dud. Hell, Johnny Cash never even got a mention. Never mind the bollocks, we got X-ray Spex as the punk listing.

I've got about 130 or so, a mixture of CDs, vinyl and downloads. Definitely a few I want to check out, reminded me of some i haven't listened to for a while.

My list is bumped up by some multi entry artists like Bruce Springsteen, the Beatles, Neil Young, Fiona Apple etc. What did strike me is the lack of world music, and what little jazz there is were generally American standards. But i did enjoy the exercise

Edited by markm1111
damn typos