Recommended HT Builder/design

Hello everyone, I am looking for some recommendations for a designer/ builder in Melbourne (Western Suburbs) to update, Install in wall speakers, acoustic panels, rewire etc, in an existing HT. 

Cheers Mark 

A99D085C-5ED5-42C8-A4B9-DADB35560B93.png

11 hours ago, Irek said:

Thanks mate I will give them a buzz. 

cheers Mark

Edited by mrf0ster

3 hours ago, david j said:

Plenty of space there      good luck 

Yeah its a brillant space David, but an awful setup at the moment. Satellites are right up high and right in the corners , so the audio is very disconnected from the picture. I am sure it can be hugely improved if done correctly.  (I think any way, and I so want in walls so I can fit my dedicated stereo speakers at the front)

Cheers Mark 

Nice room.

I personally (for once) wouldn't do anything acoustically with it. It'll spoil the look. The only way to make it look good in my opinion would be a lot of custom work above the chair rail. Or, rather, take it all off, batten it out 50mm, install treatments behind stretched fabric and put the rails and skirting back on.

One alternative would be to just do the screen wall. Get an acoustic transparent screen, batten out 50mm, install in wall speakers, cover the front in panels/fabric

A big job in any case to maintain the aesthetics.

.....one last thing for my taste. Replace the lace with blinds, shutters, or nice curtains 

• Like 1

Nice idea re just the front Peter! Yes the lace is going as its awful! It will be replaced either side and opposite walls with acoustic curtains (OCD).

Lots to think about that's for sure. 

Cheers, Mark  

On 28/09/2020 at 8:24 AM, mrf0ster said:

Nice idea re just the front Peter! Yes the lace is going as its awful! It will be replaced either side and opposite walls with acoustic curtains (OCD).

Lots to think about that's for sure. 

Cheers, Mark  

In order to save costs you might want to consider sub-contracting specific tasks rather than handing the lot over to a single builder. That is if you are comfortable with doing this.  

For curtains, I 'd recommend  black velvet with blockout lining and pelmets.  They give total blockout in direct sun and are effective in sound absorption.  For mine, I engaged a  curtain workshop which had lower overheads than the regular storefronts 

For acoustic panelling , since you are in Victoria, I'd recommend https://soundacoustics.com.au. They are very helpful, have innovative solutions and can provide colour-flocked acoustic treatments so that it looks stylish , not the motley grey that is the stumbling block for so many wives of HT enthusiasts.  They will be a lot cheaper than going through a single contractor too.

For speakers and wiring, you could select  the speakers and cabling and simply engage an installer - whether it be an electrician or one of the many installers that do cabling, etc.  this will enable you to potentially buy the speakers at less cost and save on installation costs too. 

Finally, painting ( which should be done first).   Your  room looks very stylish but may I suggest much darker walls and the ceiling as well? This will greatly reduce the light reflected from the walls and ceiling  back to the screen  thus improving contrast and colour saturation.   There are grey colours with different base tints that can look very stylish depending on your taste.  And  you might want to consider a black wall where the screen is mounted  - something like Dulux  cinema black works well and helps to remove stray light reflections and make the picture pop a little. 

Edited by TP1
typo
Posted (edited)

Thank you TP1, these are all great tips, appreciate the input.

Painting is a must a I agree. I will check out your link as well. 

cheers 🙂

Edited by mrf0ster