mondie

Currently Spinning

1 hour ago, koputai said:

A good Sydney band from the late 70's - early 80's.

Jimmy And The Boys - Not Like Everybody Else

532299819_Photo3-8-19133816.thumb.jpg.4b8474e736c5f3316524c618d1755df3.jpg

Cheers,

Jason.

That’s a blast from the past

In the late 70’s I rode a bike down to Sydney to see Bob Dylan

Ater the concert e went out to a band 

Jimmy and the Boys 

wild night of contrasting music

to put it mildly😀

2 hours sleep and I jumped back on the bike and rode back home

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dwbasement said:

Kiasmos 20190803_135929.jpeg

Great album, I played the same album earlier today, a fan of Olafur Arnalds, interesting all the tracks are a single word.

Kiasmos.jpg.4cc0dc8f6e544a5d323df91c5c75ea43.jpg

Edited by Love_music

Harold Alexander- Sunshine Man, getting some grooves on for a Saturday arvo.

B8AEF5B8-D002-464E-8C9A-AE5B78A0F979.jpeg

R-489182-1542535561-9204.jpeg.jpg

Continues to grow as being the great lost interesting U2 album. I reckon the band and Eno's direction is great, but the backlash resulted in a small hiatus and the undercooked songs of Pop.

Posted (edited)

Gilbert and Sullivan vs the 80's

The Pirate Movie - OST

Yeah yeah do your worst. Kristy McNichol 1982, be still my beating heart.

29.jpg

Edited by TDK

Posted (edited)

Relax, soundtracks very rarely reach the depth of this one. You'll never see this mentioned by the Beegees or anybody else, even when a Beegee pops off and the media does the career retrospective.  More on this turkey here and here.

R-762024-1351909350-5269.jpeg.jpg

Critical reception

Professional ratings
Review scores
Source Rating
AllMusic 1/5 stars11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[6]
Encyclopedia of Popular Music 1/5 stars11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[7]
The Rolling Stone Record Guide 0/5 stars11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[8]
The Village Voice D+[9]

In a contemporary review for The Village Voice, music critic Robert Christgau gave the album a D+ rating with an added "Must to Avoid" warning. He wrote that, apart from the Earth, Wind & Fire and Aerosmith songs, "most of the arrangements are lifted whole without benefit of vocal presence (maybe Maurice should try hormones) or rhythmic integrity ('Can't we get a little of that disco feel in there, George?')"[9] Writing in The Rolling Stone Record Guide in 1983, Dave Marsh dismissed the soundtrack as "An utter travesty" and "Easily the worst album of any notoriety in this book." Marsh identified Aerosmith's "Come Together" and Earth, Wind & Fire's "Got to Get You into My Life" as the only competent renditions and concluded: "Two million people bought this album, which proves that P.T. Barnum was right and that euthanasia may have untapped possibilities."[8]

According to Stephen Thomas Erlewine of AllMusic, the album suffers from clumsy performances by the Bee Gees, Frankie Howerd and Peter Frampton, as well as performers who were poorly suited to their song, including Steve Martin, George Burns and Alice Cooper. Erlewine says that the soundtrack has become "a legend in its own right" due to its unenviable reputation and adds that, while it has attracted a cult following, "there's no erasing the fact that this is an absolutely atrocious record".[6]

Even at age 12, I was hard pressed not to laugh out loud in the cinema when Leif Garrett burst into "What would you think if I sang out of tune?"

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown

Just now, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Relax, soundtracks very rarely reach the depth of this one. You'll never see this mentioned by the Beegees or anybody else, even when a Beegee pops off and the media does the career retrospective.  More on this turkey here and here.

R-762024-1351909350-5269.jpeg.jpg

Even at age 12, I was hard pressed not to laugh out loud in the cinema when Leif Garrett burst into "What would you think if I sang out of tune?"

Oh I'm so down for this....

4 hours ago, koputai said:

A good Sydney band from the late 70's - early 80's.

Jimmy And The Boys - Not Like Everybody Else

532299819_Photo3-8-19133816.thumb.jpg.4b8474e736c5f3316524c618d1755df3.jpg

Cheers,

Jason.

Saw this band back in '78 IIRC......it was at a school concert in Bendigo. They were supporting Mondo Rock and the crowd just couldn't get into Jimmy and the Boys......they were pretty 'out there' for a school concert I must say and ended up getting booed off the stage. Ignatious told us all to 'Get F**ked' and that we could all 'F**k off".....it was great!😃 My friends and I actually quite enjoyed them as we were all into punk and new wave but even for us, they were controversial. They certainly were 'not like everybody else'......🙂

Big day of Tord Gustavsen....then queue ran out and Roon moved to this in a moment of inspiration.

Four Tet - There Is Love In You

Image result for Four Tet - There Is Love In You

Now, Susumu Yokota - Laputa

Received from an SNAer when I was in a moment of need, like a Red Cross parcel borne of empathy for my circumstances

Related image

Playing a new arrival.....The Ozark Mountain Daredevils "It'll Shine When It Shines", the one with their biggest hit 'Jackie Blue' on it....a NM UK 1st pressing and it sounds fantastic......a wonderfully cared for (and maybe not played much at all) 45 year old LP. Very happy.....

https://img.discogs.com/2wgllHTYue_CIYEiibCNUMPEBJs=/fit-in/600x602/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-2314742-1276332080.jpeg.jpg