Currently Spinning

A CD this time.....Spectrum/Murtceps "Ghosts: Post Terminal Reflection".....an excellent 'best of' compilation. Trippy Oz prog/stoner greatness......?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61RQMiv6YsL._SY355_.jpghttps://www.rarerecords.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/SPECTRUMMURTCEPS-Ghosts-Post-Terminal-Reflection-1.jpg

A great collection to have if, like me, you can't afford the crazy money being charged for rare early Spectrum LP's (this has 10 Spectrum songs and 3 Murtceps songs). I do have the "Warts Up Your Nose" LP by Murtceps though.?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, stevoz said:

I could see a 'something' on the record surface, so with a tissue slightly wet with warm water, I firmly but carefully rubbed the area and then followed with dry tissue to dry then played. That area didn't skip this time but there was a slight noise for a few revs of the LP. So it was some gunk, not a pressing flaw but if the gunk was deposited in the plant, maybe it could be called a pressing flaw which would be very strange for Record Industries in Haarlem. So it was better but not perfect.

I have since done a glue peel and it has improved further but there is still a scratch noise (unrelated to the gunk) through about half of the second track on side one and still too much noise overall.....so I have already requested a full refund. We'll see how we go!?

Thanks for your reply mate. I have a couple of records that stick. Because of circumstances they were first played months after purchase, so l never attempted to send them back.

I probably need to invest in a quality record cleaner. But l have to admit l know very little about them. I believe the best types are ultrasonic or vacume cleaners. Maybe some one who knows more about them can advise. Though this is probably not the forum to have this debate. So l apologise.

Probably have around 70 LPs now and that will grow...hopefully (though the economy is crazy at the moment). So probably a good investment down the track when things have stabilised.

Hope you get your refund back.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stevoz said:

This is probably as good a place as anywhere to ask this:

If you had two 'Ex+' examples of the same 1981 LP (from a UK artist) to choose from and one was a cheaper (but not by too much) Oz Festival 1st pressing (with probably UK mastering) and the other was a German first pressing, pressed at Teldec, Hamburg with the lacquer cut by a guy (Karl Schick) whose first mastering effort was a Pat Boone single in 1957, ie: very experienced.....which one would you choose??

I think I know but humour me.....?

The German one l would have thought. Unless this is a trick question. You didn't say which was the cheaper one. But I'm thinking they both would sound excellent. But knowing your devious mind and a perchance for good masterings, l recon you would buy both.

5 minutes ago, Dilettanteque said:

Explosions In The Sky - Those Who tell The Truth Shall Die

Image result for Explosions In The Sky - Those Who tell The Truth Shall Die

I saw EITS play a free summer concert when I lived in Salt Lake City back in 2011 or so ... picked up the Take Care Take Care Take Care CD but still haven't listened to it yet.

I guess I should do so PDQ before the virus kills me.

--Geoff 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, needlerunner said:

The German one l would have thought. Unless this is a trick question. You didn't say which was the cheaper one. But I'm thinking they both would sound excellent. But knowing your devious mind and a perchance for good masterings, l recon you would buy both.

No trick......I mentioned the Oz one was cheaper but not by a lot......and yes, I lean towards the German pressing. I just thought there may be someone out there come on and say, 'Oh yeah, Karl Schick.....legend in the mastering field.....get the German one, it'll be brilliant!!!'?

I'm torn between slightly cheaper but getting it within a few days or spending a bit more and waiting maybe over a fortnight because it's coming from the UK......I know, 'first world problem'.?

Never thought of getting both......mmmm.?

Edited by stevoz