mondie

Currently Spinning

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

A wife or girlfriend of one of the Veils band members must have had bad 'morning sickness'. Fun Fact: Nux Vomica is a homeopathic remedy that can be used to treat morning sickness.... I know this because my ex took it when she was pregnant with our first child.😉

It didn't work.....😕

Maybe playing the song Nux Vomica would be sufficiently soothing......well, maybe not 🤨

Edited by Dilettanteque

Yes is its Oz day - but this came up and well, it's awesome. 

image.jpeg

The Jimi Hendrix Experience- BBC Sessions (1998).

0004310096.jpg.ede17a110e9fe02b11a030dbc844693f.jpg

Mighty fine double cd.

Just cranked up a bit of JMJarre Oxygene 7-15 from ‘97. First time really I’ve cranked it up, sounded alright on the Legends. Would sound alright on evilc ‘s Hulgich’s, Joz’s SGR’s and Yamaha Man’s TAD’s and  I apologise for other members outstanding speakers that don’t mind a few db’s. 

Track 1. 

A5F72B4A-281A-4445-8E0A-F3AEFA7E7894.jpeg

Have a go at this. Then wonder why you've never heard it before(if you haven't I mean).

image.png.f603a409b9cb8776606904a9cb6907c5.png

Smooth, absolutely silky silky smooth. The whole album is so well recorded.

You know how we all get a bit poncy when we're trying to do critical reviews of someone's system or your at a GTG and trying to listen critically and some twit with a glass of wine in his hand(me or Evil usually, actually it's him more than me🤣) will interrupt you and you've lost your chance to listen.

Well listen to the first track on this album on your system and see how well it(your system and obviously your speakers) handle decay.

This album will test it, it'll test the grip that you think your amplifier (s)  have on your speakers and it will certainly test your speakers for their reproduction values and their ability to highlight what is sometimes lost in recordings like this, yes it's jazz but it could equally be classical or a really good acoustic guitar album or piano or anything well recorded.

The decay that the producer has been able to lay down on this album is quite extraordinary.

Trust me, this will really highlight your system's ability at reproduction and that's all that the stuff your sitting there looking at while it's turned on is for and nothing else.

Piano decay is one of the wonders of music, it goes on and on and on, much longer than a trumpeter's breathe can, it's everywhere in this album.

I haven't been inspired and uplifted by an album in this manner for awhile. The longer tracks are the go to ones, 9 minutes, 8 minutes, 13 minutes, they give you ample time to sink into them.

Listen with confidence that this is a album that will reveal your system's pluses and...

Quick search got me here>>>

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MATTHEW-HALSALL-Colour-Yes-Special-Edition-VINYL-NEW/283717045587?hash=item420eda8d53:g:TUsAAOSwe4hd~Kks

image.png

Haven't noticed that Luc, probably just too lost in enjoying the incredibly spiritual music.

Will look out for the decay next time I listen. 

1 minute ago, Citroen said:

Haven't noticed that Luc, probably just too lost in enjoying the incredibly spiritual music.

Will look out for the decay next time I listen. 

Spiritual? This album?

I disagree.

Cruise(y), yes, sit back an chill, yes, but I've not got spiritual from it. But...each to their own interpretation of music eh.

For any bass junkies who like stuff that goes low and shakes. Try this>>>

Esbjörn Svensson Trio: e.s.t. live in Gothenburg

The main man is dead(tragic diving  thing) but the music...wow!

image.thumb.png.e989246ca8362be9c37f66837fc7095e.png

19 minutes ago, Luc said:

Spiritual? This album?

I disagree.

Cruise(y), yes, sit back an chill, yes, but I've not got spiritual from it. But...each to their own interpretation of music eh.

For any bass junkies who like stuff that goes low and shakes. Try this>>>

Esbjörn Svensson Trio: e.s.t. live in Gothenburg

The main man is dead(tragic diving  thing) but the music...wow!

image.thumb.png.e989246ca8362be9c37f66837fc7095e.png

The Wraith on e.s.t is well worth a focused listen!!!!

Grimethorpe Colliery Band,  Grimethorpe. Chandos Brass ‎ CHAN 4545 Europe 1996.

I couldn't find a Brass currently spinning thread (much to my suprise), so I will park this here. As brass bands go, they don't get much better than this one.

Grimethorpe (CD, Album) album cover

2 hours ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

Grimethorpe Colliery Band,  Grimethorpe. Chandos Brass ‎ CHAN 4545 Europe 1996.

I couldn't find a Brass currently spinning thread (much to my suprise), so I will park this here. As brass bands go, they don't get much better than this one.

Grimethorpe (CD, Album) album cover

You might like this, jazzdog.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/mar/16/the-miners-hymns-barbican-review-morrison-johansson

images - 2020-01-26T234858.191.jpeg

Evening Folks.

Taking advantage of a few days off to spin a few records...

ZZ Top  'Afterburner'  1985 Warner Bros. Records. WEA Records, USA.  Vinyl.

858281548_ZZTopAfterburner1985WarnerBros.Records.WEARecordsUSA_600.jpg.dc0a96dc6f138df3b93ddf01a0e82a09.jpg

A great album and superb sound for this US press, I haven't looked it up yet but I think an early one. 

There's no ZZ Top album that I can't/won't listen to.

This next one popped up recently on the 24 Hour/Album thread...

'Heavy' Compilation , K-tel Records, Aust.  Vinyl.

481315761_HeavyCompilation1983K-telRecordsAust_600.jpg.c53072f8d2485ef7d5b6712556ab0e04.jpg

The Number of the Beast                Rock'n Roll is King

Smoke on the Water                         You Really Got Me

Paranoid                                               Can't Live Without You

Highway to Hell                                  Purple Haze

Rockin' All Over the World               I Surrender

Love Potion No.9                                Sunshine of Your Love

In the Beginning                                Layla

Stormy Lady                                        She Won't Go

An excellent copy of this little gem.

The sound is great, and a testament to K-tel who have a few compilations that mean a lot to me.  'Hot Nights, City Lights' is one, and 'Full Boar' another.

Being very picky I would have changed the order of side B by swapping Jimi with Rainbow.

Krokus  'Headhunter'  1983 Arista Records. Western Germany.  Vinyl.

1720285422_KrokusHeadhunter1983AristaRecords.WesternGermany_600.jpg.c6e3bad50f6ece94e75a1fd2a69edeaf.jpg

This album came close to my 24 Hours/Albums list.

For a Hard Rock band this was a little more Metal.  Some killer tracks like 'Eat the Rich' and 'Stayed Awake All Night'. 

The Cult  'Electric'  1987 Beggars Banquet. Made in England.  Vinyl.

1441922195_TheCultElectric1987BeggarsBanquet.MadeinEngland_600.jpg.e9b4bf1a55d1636a5433d11d860c4adc.jpg

Another album from my 24 Hours/Albums list.

I found The Cult through a work colleague just after beginning my first serious 'job'.

He gave me a copy of 'Love' to listen to, just before 'Electric' was released.  I found them interesting enough to check it out when released.

As a Hard/Heavy Rock/Metal Head I could not be happier with the new sound, it truly was 'Electric'.

I saw them at Selina's in Sydney on this tour, was only reminiscing about it with a very dear old mate earlier, which actually prompted spinning that one.

Lastly, as it's Oz day... another one in honour of ol' mate.  We saw The Angels together many times, sh*t faced and loving it.

My preference is for 'Two Minute Warning', but he loves 'Howling', and it's a very close call, both great albums.

The Angels  'Howling'  1986 Mushroom Records, Aust. Festival Records, Aust.  Vinyl.

271762010_TheAngelsHowling1986MushroomRecordsAust.FestivalRecordsAust600.jpg.a16bda32be00c9de2c3de8f03482ddc6.jpg

A very close call between them indeed.

Great songs, the band had stepped it up a notch with song writing and production.  The live performances were highly anticipated with a super charged, electric atmosphere.

A band at their peak regardless of line up changes, they were very experienced and had perfected the live gig.

Two superb albums marking the end for them, a great way to close.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

Kicking the morning off with this 😁

20200127_075101.jpg

The Jesus And Mary Chain ‎– The Sound Of Speed. 1992.  brilliant complication of singles, b sides and oddities from the grunge godfathers.   2013 reissue on 1972 records and sounds good.

ydh6mg9.jpg

Edited by metal beat

IMG_20170411_124608970.thumb.jpg.0d333e6f3ccfa37691b5b43057c340af.jpgLeon Russell

Earlier

131961227_OlafurArnalds.png.6f2d67a5bf315dc70f8fabeed79a1342.png

Recently

1596128055_TarkusELP.jpg.d965bd1a9f2c8b45f82ed745070ad228.jpg

Currently

2120195449_FreshCream.jpg.6cd5a0cac48b468feba57b9ce17c6078.jpg

Aphex Twin ~ Syro

Syro.png.4e41b14954045471cad34321331fd54a.png

Currently playing: David Bowie - Black Star

2064456122_BlackStar.png.a9df11eb9a3ce2ab64d51d29ad518783.png

Revisiting this, after yesterday's wander through a couple of their outputs from the first decade of the century, and with opportunity for closer listening.

Nick Cave & The Black Seeds - Ghosteen

Image result for ghosteen

Hi All,

Time and a Word, Yes

190691001_YesTimeWord.jpg.7d5ea72201c12ee3827ff4af86dd03dc.jpg

JJ

Two grammys today for Jacob Collier. Well recorded song/album

Screenshot_2020-01-27-14-19-07.png

The search is over, I just played this as new condition first pressing OBI version of Yellow Brick Road, and it sounds truly excellent, the other copies of YBR I have will now be relegated to become book ends. 

cheers,

Terry

B56FF938-1B65-4BEC-BA83-2D5363D8090F.jpeg

Edited by TerryO