Jump to content

mondie

Currently Spinning

Recommended Posts

I really like it. Probably more so than the Vol 1.

 

The pressing quality is better, the mastering top notch. The music is not as fresh or innovative as Vol 1 but it is still damn good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Love_music said:

Dawn McCarthy & Bonnie 'Prince' Billy

 

1640303626_BPD.jpg.152142672bbda5b3386b8e898229de0b.jpg

When I first heard this I was appalled.

Country twang music for hicks?

 

But now I really adore this.  Go figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Citroen said:

When I first heard this I was appalled.

Country twang music for hicks?

 

But now I really adore this.  Go figure.

It's something that 'creeps up on you'

 

Abbey Road 50th Anniversary CD

 

1174837557_AbbeyRoad.jpg.6c5a8fa3bce9b6d1e20a95b7ed5fb170.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




In the mood for some Gunners, their best of course in Appetite for Destruction, just about to play my local CD ripped version when I noticed alternate versions in Roon/Tidal, noticed a MQA 24/192 version, it is the best I’ve heard it, I’m only getting the first unfold in 24/96 via Roon, punchy and clear, very nice.

 

B10B4812-70FA-46A1-B31A-224ECC72D056.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a few listens to this now...

 

Tool  '10,000 Days'  2006 Volcano Entertainment.    Wav.

2049170190_Tool10000Days2006VolcanoEntertainmentx500.jpg.4ecf367aa798e433cb791aca9b0109b9.jpg

Only getting into these guys for the first time really, but this has become a bit of a 'go to' listen.

I have the Optonica's set up with the Sony rears, which dominate the Optonica's a little, so I've covered them with a towel.  The sound is quite good.

The lounge room is an ample space, opening to the dining room. 

I've moved the speakers back to 1/4, they were 1/3 the way in, and the sweet spot is about 2/3 of the room length.

I get a nice sound, with no bottom end boom.  It's got a little more punch with the Sony's added; they are two way 5" mids.

I don't have the clarity and detail, missing a little sparkle at the mid/top end.  But I can hear the speakers disappear, so that's nice.  The soundstage is good but that lack of detail is obvious.

The Optonica's are not very powerful, but have a comfortable sound, that's one thing I have noticed, especially compared with the Sony's.  Covering the Sony's with a towel has tamed them a fraction too.

 

It's a powerful album.  The guitar tones are superb.  Everything about it is engaging and is made with confidence and purpose.    

 

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one has had a few plays since my return from Sime's place.  He played 'Vanishing Act for me and I was floored.  I don't know if it was this exact version, but he kindly gave me this file too...

 

Lou Reed  'The Raven'  2003 Sire Records.    Flac.

1392215348_LouReedTheRaven2003SireRecords..jpg.99c07d56e4eaf1f1a6a6ef48c9a34433.jpg

A tribute to the works of Edgar Allan Poe.

Solid rock music with grit, a little punk energy, some horns and all balanced with some very delicate moments, some smooth soul, and spoken word pieces.

A great sounding album, I see it is available as 3LP.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Chromatics ‎– Nite - 2017 on Italians Do It Better records.     and yes, the music is just as sexy as the cover art :)

 

NfmZ4jI.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, metal beat said:

  and yes, the music is just as sexy as the cover art :)

So the music is  covered in excess layers, overblown and not at all Euro-pop? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Citroen said:

So the music is  covered in excess layers, overblown and not at all Euro-pop? ;)

 

euro synth pop Cliff :yes:   lots of synth layering yes, overblown - nah - perfect for his virtual soundtrack synth pop.   All done by an American named Johnny Jewel O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


My laptop is set up near the back of my listening area, just off centre due to a sliding glass door, fronted with a medium density curtain.  The sound is pretty good sitting there.

I decided to move my recliner back, now it's abou 5/6 metres from the speakers, which are a good 2 metres in from the wall, also cloaked with curtains.  I have closed off the main entry to the house to accommodate the sound/TV systems.  Single life eh?  Has a few ups, and a few downs.

 

Moving the recliner has really opened up the sound, I find the bass in particular looses a little boominess, which I hadn't picked up in the regular position.

 

A good test for bass... some lovely, crystal clear, tech house...

 

Deadmau5  '4x4=12'  2010 Mau5trap. Ultra. Virgin Records.    Flac.

1528082362_Deadmau54x4122010Mau5trap.Ultra.VirginRecords_600.jpg.43c4e805fd5c455be52badfe362ac42d.jpg

While I don't feel that bottom end as much as I'd like, it's a very nice sound all things considered.  Instead of covering the Sony's with a towel, I have rolled the towels and set them in the centre from top to bottom.

It's a nice clean sound at medium volume.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

I've had a few listens to this now...

 

Tool  '10,000 Days'  2006 Volcano Entertainment.    Wav.

2049170190_Tool10000Days2006VolcanoEntertainmentx500.jpg.4ecf367aa798e433cb791aca9b0109b9.jpg

Only getting into these guys for the first time really, but this has become a bit of a 'go to' listen.

....

It's a powerful album.  The guitar tones are superb.  Everything about it is engaging and is made with confidence and purpose.    

 

welcome to the light

 

my fav album of their is Aenima, tho for many its Lateralus 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening Folks.  Taking advantage of an easy few days.

 

I thought I should give the rig a good test, gave Daft punk a sample, yeah, very nice.

Flicked over to some Dark/Synth Wave...

 

Dan Terminus  'Automated Refrains'  2017 Blood Music.  Flac download from BandCamp.

971575512_DanTerminusAutomatedRefrains2017BloodMusic-Copy.jpg.2b0a7e536659f470030bdd6213e341d1.jpg

I think the genre labels might close this music off for many people.

It's very well produced Techno that has a dark, futuristic atmosphere, which on this album is a gothic feeling.  It has become associated with Metal through song structure, or arrangement of the sounds, which reminds me of Progressive Rock and Metal.  So, it's not strictly Dance Techno, It's more headphone or lounge orientated.  I'm listening to songs, not tracks.

There are some driving beats, so dancing wouldn't be out of the question, especially live.  Some killer hooks, riffs I would normally write, but it's all synths, or sound like them to me.  It's hard to pick if I would rather be standing/dancing, or sitting at a gig.  The more I listen, I would rather be dancing.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cheers

have added to the listen list

don't mind me some Dark/Synth Wave

  

23 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Evening Folks.  Taking advantage of an easy few days.

 

I thought I should give the rig a good test, gave Daft punk a sample, yeah, very nice.

Flicked over to some Dark/Synth Wave...

 

Dan Terminus  'Automated Refrains'  2017 Blood Music.  Flac download from BandCamp.

971575512_DanTerminusAutomatedRefrains2017BloodMusic-Copy.jpg.2b0a7e536659f470030bdd6213e341d1.jpg

I think the genre labels might close this music off for many people.

It's very well produced Techno that has a dark, futuristic atmosphere, which on this album is a gothic feeling.  It has become associated with Metal through song structure, or arrangement of the sounds, which reminds me of Progressive Rock and Metal.  So, it's not strictly Dance Techno, It's more headphone or lounge orientated.  I'm listening to songs, not tracks.

There are some driving beats, so dancing wouldn't be out of the question, especially live.  Some killer hooks, riffs I would normally write, but it's all synths, or sound like them to me.  It's hard to pick if I would rather be standing/dancing, or sitting at a gig.  The more I listen, I would rather be dancing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was on my Spotify discovery playlist, track one its third repeat play at the moment

 

agar.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...