mondie

Currently Spinning

7 minutes ago, Dilettanteque said:

Has a nice sense of drama in some of the songs.  

Yea,  sort of close to soundtrack like on those tracks.

Morning All,

Began this morning with some electronic / ambient music from Desolate Horizons & Endless Melancholy, Deep As The Dark Blue Sea

Deep.jpg.973cc3b41e885df660c9bc82d633b734.jpg

JJ

11 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

".....it's perfection and grace....."

Steely Dan - Gaucho.

images (64).jpeg

After owning & enjoying their first 6 albums for about 40 years, finally bought Gaucho a year or 2 ago.

Initially put off by some reviews labeling it a bit sterile over the 1 year supposedly taken to create it.

Some of the most enjoyable Dan tracks ever. Each to their own.

5 minutes ago, Winterspace said:

a bit sterile

Are you referring to the recorded sound or the music itself? Steely Dan whether as a group or as separate solo efforts by Fagen and Becker, in my opinion are not an "emotional" group full of feeling outside of the groove.  The songwriting is too humorous, too cool and ironic.  Fagen could never remove the slight sneer from his voice.

In a cabaret setting with some different arrangements the song lyrics are hilarious and someone should be planning a revue using the songs as a basis for a comedy show.

The continual nostalgia, the longing for the glory days or what was and what might have been has informed so much of Dan's output and it became more absurd as they got older an for me encapsulates the baby boomer generation that failed to grow up, had it all and continues to whinge and complain.

When I saw them live last time they were in Melbourne I didn't get the feel that there was one improvised note in the whole performance, the energy is in their exactitude like classical musicians.

Gaucho is a great album track by track it is absolutely solid and funny, extremely funny!

Hi All,

Jimi Hendrix Experience, Are You Experienced, Mono

1378338753_JHAYE.jpg.e896137f1005415186c1a180d57d0e1a.jpg

JJ

7 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

Are you referring to the recorded sound or the music itself? Steely Dan whether as a group or as separate solo efforts by Fagen and Becker, in my opinion are not an "emotional" group full of feeling outside of the groove.  The songwriting is too humorous, too cool and ironic.  Fagen could never remove the slight sneer from his voice.

In a cabaret setting with some different arrangements the song lyrics are hilarious and someone should be planning a revue using the songs as a basis for a comedy show.

The continual nostalgia, the longing for the glory days or what was and what might have been has informed so much of Dan's output and it became more absurd as they got older an for me encapsulates the baby boomer generation that failed to grow up, had it all and continues to whinge and complain.

When I saw them live last time they were in Melbourne I didn't get the feel that there was one improvised note in the whole performance, the energy is in their exactitude like classical musicians.

Gaucho is a great album track by track it is absolutely solid and funny, extremely funny!

The recorded sound. The articles I had previously read ( before purchasing & listening to the CD & making up my own mind)

had given Gaucho as the reason they broke up for many years, in that the length of time taken to produce it due their self imposed

extremely high standards had gone to far.

I agree with you in that it is a great album, and I would never had bought it & enjoyed it so much had I gone on the few reviews I had read.

I would have loved to see them live, but in my early days when I went to a few concerts, I don't remember them ever touring.

A few of my most enjoyable CD's have been given very poor reviews on the Allmusic website.

Hi All,

Iron & Wine, The Shepherd's Dog

1741569662_IW.jpg.3c2a2c4c484f0c1d65a77e04282f2ffa.jpg

JJ

40 minutes ago, Winterspace said:

The recorded sound.

OK. 

I can't hear it myself, SD has always been slick, oil on water slick,  and painstaking, but I have heard these stories before about the Beatles and CSN&Y recording Deja Vu (arguing over one or two notes in a harmony and almost coming to blows) etc.

As I get older I've grown a little weary of the Dan sound but Everything Must Go I consider a high water mark in performance and song quality and right up there in the top 3 or 4 albums IMHO that had been released I think in the year I saw them at Rod Laver and I was hoping to hear that performed live, but unfortunately (to some degree) they ended up doing the hits.

I developed a real appreciation for Becker's guitar playing, probably underrated even now.

Earlier

116414516_PanicEnoHolland.jpg.31f5b59648c3f4fe0cbea097b993b617.jpg

Recently

Currents.png.e3e56076f144bba37bcae2fe0f1c3379.png

Now

GenesisWalk.jpg.2f4652076ce2d1f987c0a39a721f7780.jpg

Later On

Mum.jpg.b6e2db36ea0010e60861fb8fc8f8c04c.jpg

19 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

OK. 

I can't hear it myself, SD has always been slick, oil on water slick,  and painstaking, but I have heard these stories before about the Beatles and CSN&Y recording Deja Vu (arguing over one or two notes in a harmony and almost coming to blows) etc.

As I get older I've grown a little weary of the Dan sound but Everything Must Go I consider a high water mark in performance and song quality and right up there in the top 3 or 4 albums IMHO that had been released I think in the year I saw them at Rod Laver and I was hoping to hear that performed live, but unfortunately (to some degree) they ended up doing the hits.

I developed a real appreciation for Becker's guitar playing, probably underrated even now.

Funny you should mention Everything Must Go. When Becker passed away, I purchased it & I agree it's up there with the others.

Generally I find it hard to concentrate on who is playing which instrument. Obviously getting older as its a battle to concentrate after I start each album.  Also starting to listen to & appreciate the lyrics a lot more.

Currently going through all my CD's & trying to rate each track individually as a way of rating my music.

Strangely finding some gems & offloading some that aren't as good as previously thought.  None of Steely Dan will be going, but my rating of each Dan CD has definitely changed.

2 hours ago, Winterspace said:

After owning & enjoying their first 6 albums for about 40 years, finally bought Gaucho a year or 2 ago.

Initially put off by some reviews labeling it a bit sterile over the 1 year supposedly taken to create it.

Some of the most enjoyable Dan tracks ever. Each to their own.

One of my 3 favourites with Aja and Countdown To Ecstasy 

6 hours ago, allthumbs said:

Hey watch it. I'm a Baby Boomer.

I don't want to grow up (or is that grow older). I don't winge and complain. But l can be a bit grouchy at times, especially if l run out of red wine.

Bat For Lashes ‎– Lost Girls. stunning new album from Natasha and maybe the best since Two Suns.  not a fan of coloured vinyl, but this clear blood splattered is pretty cool, sounds very good,  although a few clicks and pops. probably no less quality than their normal el cheapo GX black vinyl pressings.

gtsiELQ.jpg

EtsRrOA.jpg

Edited by metal beat

5 hours ago, Neurone said:

Earlier

116414516_PanicEnoHolland.jpg.31f5b59648c3f4fe0cbea097b993b617.jpg

Recently

Currents.png.e3e56076f144bba37bcae2fe0f1c3379.png

Now

GenesisWalk.jpg.2f4652076ce2d1f987c0a39a721f7780.jpg

Later On

Mum.jpg.b6e2db36ea0010e60861fb8fc8f8c04c.jpg

I like "The Way We Walk Vol. 2". I was a bit sceptic when I bought it back in '93 or so, because I had not been initiated in the longer Genesis numbers, but it didn't disappoint at all! I may have Vol. 1 in cassette somewhere, it even had a cassette booklet. That 20 min medley is solid, however I find "Fading Lights" the weakest one. My personal favourite on that record is "Home By The Sea". YMMV or course.

Cheers,

Alberto

1 hour ago, needlerunner said:

Hey watch it. I'm a Baby Boomer

Me too.  I just meant the characters they sing about are past their prime and somehow have a grander vision of themselves as they were once, unfulfilled promise but Fagen's voice always sounds as if the character is a vacuous narcissist or on the brink of a moment of self-awareness, amidst the humour is a kind of bitterness, not so much in growing old but in something that kind of died in them along the way.

A "whole conference" on the American Middle Class white male could be based around SD's songs. Kind of like Philip Roth with music!