71hX04MUVYL._SX425_.jpg

Roy Harper - Stormcock -- from 1971, Roy's best album IMHO, basically acoustic epic folk, just 4 songs, with Jimmy Page noodling away on one track.

Saw this on old ABC show Rock Arena back in the day, that led me to track down the album:

--Geoff

• Like 5
  • Replies 77.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• metal beat

• mrbuzzardstubble

• Janjuc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Evening Lads & greetings from a chilly West Wyalong.   Finally arrived at Mum’s place last week, on the road for 25 hours, including a 4 hour sleep in the car, and stopping every hour fo

Playing some Xmas albums:           --Geoff    

Hi All,   Some Steely Dan - Aja and Pretzel Logic.     JJ

R-2126330-1265628736.jpeg.jpg

Massive Attack - Heligoland. This would make a good EP. I will be editing/ programming the CD player to skip certain tracks on future playings. I can't say they wasted their time in the studio, nor did they waste their time listening to New Order, but I reserve the right to not waste my time listening to stuff from the cutting room floor.

• Like 2

Kalyanji, Anandji,  Anjaan,  Muqaddar Ka Sikandar.  His Master's Voice ‎ PEALP 2016  LP, Gat. India 1978.

Genre:  Electronic, Rock, Funk / Soul, Pop, Folk, World, & Country, Stage & Screen

Style:  Beat, Psychedelic Rock, Funk, Folk, Vocal, Bollywood.

R-1907668-1525448627-8883.jpeg.jpg

R-1907668-1555700519-6642.jpeg.jpg

R-1907668-1483194174-5551.jpeg.jpg

Happy New Year to all, some classic Bollywood to start with here.....

• Like 2

a2967895462_14.jpg

William Basinski - Lamentations -- 2020 album with tracks in the familar style of decaying tape loops. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp for today only.

--Geoff

• Like 1

Prince 

Crystal Ball

US

So caught up playing vinyl lately, forget my great CD collection sometimes 🤣

IMG_7785.JPG

• Like 3

Norah and the dude from Green Day transcend expectations 

067F6FBA-C949-4795-9A58-274DAFE73387.jpeg.5aa7f0baf1c37e05ba1c8b0c33b7389d.jpeg

I'll go on pretending that my life is oh so gay
And happy dear without you by my side

• Like 2

I am lost on subgenres of electronica. This has been the case ever since the days when Grime was invented as a genre by the English music press and suddenly it became a category. Which happened not long after ambient was claimed as something that had nothing whatsoever to do with Brian Eno, Harold Budd, or Opal Records. My lack of knowledge means plain speaking: "if it goes 'doof doof', or would be heard in a lift or foyer, or requires pills to hold one's attention, I'm not interested".

So I avoid things with the word 'jazz' in the category (ambient jazz? acid jazz?), geographical categories (Goan Sounds Direct From Ibiza!), and where the category is synonymous with "comatose" ('trance').

This holds the interest, albeit mainly in the first half. Composition and arrangements often have a bit of thought to them, rather than putting sequencers on autopilot:

R-297519-1227356436.jpeg.jpg

Autopilot in the second half, alas.

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

I am lost on subgenres of electronica. This has been the case ever since the days when Grime was invented as a genre by the English music press and suddenly it became a category. Which happened not long after ambient was claimed as something that had nothing whatsoever to do with Brian Eno, Harold Budd, or Opal Records. My lack of knowledge means plain speaking: "if it goes 'doof doof', or would be heard in a lift or foyer, or requires pills to hold one's attention, I'm not interested".

So I avoid things with the word 'jazz' in the category (ambient jazz? acid jazz?), geographical categories (Goan Sounds Direct From Ibiza!), and where the category is synonymous with "comatose" ('trance').

This holds the interest, albeit mainly in the first half. Composition and arrangements often have a bit of thought to them, rather than putting sequencers on autopilot:

R-297519-1227356436.jpeg.jpg

actually, if you’re exploring electronic music, Trance can actually be a super-fun genre. It’s characterised by long, intense builds and epic peaks or “drops”. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea but it’s not mellow like it sounds

Edited by RankStranger
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, RankStranger said:

actually, if you’re exploring electronic music, Trance can actually be a super-fun genre. It’s characterised by long, intense builds and epic peaks or “drops”. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea but it’s not as mellow as it sounds

Not mellow at all, really.  AS you and I both know.

I love trance, and I loved the peak of it in late 90's/2000's.

In fact, I've been wearing my Gatecrasher tee all day today, by pure co-incidence.  🖤

gatecrashertee.jpg.c83cc5c22855a298a4cd38eab2691410.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, candyflip said:

Not mellow at all, really.  AS you and I both know.

I love trance, and I loved the peak of it in late 90's/2000's.

In fact, I've been wearing my Gatecrasher tee all day today, by pure co-incidence.  🖤

gatecrashertee.jpg.c83cc5c22855a298a4cd38eab2691410.jpg

Yeah, should’ve said ‘not mellow like it sounds’ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

we were driving past the docklands yesterday with our kids and I pointed and said mummy and I went to nye party in one of those warehouses exactly 18 years ago today. 

welcome 2002. They didn’t care :D 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Neil, live back to back....both stunning live recordings, so hard to pick a favourite.....any thoughts?

BE51B38D-608A-48BE-8638-3549BC78B337.jpeg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Mendes said:

Neil, live back to back....both stunning live recordings, so hard to pick a favourite.....any thoughts?

BE51B38D-608A-48BE-8638-3549BC78B337.jpeg

i haven’t heard the cellar door but I love Massey hall. It’s so low key and intimate. Just a kid trying some stuff out 

• Like 1
  • Marc pinned and unpinned this topic