• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• metal beat

• mrbuzzardstubble

• Janjuc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Evening Lads & greetings from a chilly West Wyalong.   Finally arrived at Mum’s place last week, on the road for 25 hours, including a 4 hour sleep in the car, and stopping every hour fo

Playing some Xmas albums:           --Geoff    

The lunatic is on the grass... Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon.  

Some 'sweet spot' listening this afternoon.....here's my view (taken on phone).

20201012_162300.thumb.jpg.59e1ea299a35f3d96a3c875524531034.jpg

Albums had to be 'top shelf' so the first was Supertramp's "Brother Where You Bound" Oz 1st pressing.....say no more!

R-736899-1383099521-2346.jpeg.jpg

Second up was Pink Floyd's "Animals" 2016 remaster, Dutch pressing. Lovely.....

s-l500.jpg

The 'sweet spot' was very rewarding!:heart:

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 4
48 minutes ago, Neurone said:

Recently

1610993215_BeatlesRubber.jpg.edb3a4d2bdf0801cedcad093bd73a0c0.jpg

Currently

881241766_BeachBoysSurfsUp.png.6f31907252b69d50eb9dd2e2ffef00be.png

2 great records

2 great covers

How about Brian’s song about a 🌲 🌳😀

I really like Holland as well

• Like 2
2 hours ago, stevoz said:

Some 'sweet spot' listening this afternoon.....here's my view (taken on phone).

20201012_162300.thumb.jpg.59e1ea299a35f3d96a3c875524531034.jpg

Albums had to be 'top shelf' so the first was Supertramp's "Brother Where You Bound" Oz 1st pressing.....say no more!

R-736899-1383099521-2346.jpeg.jpg

Second up was Pink Floyd's "Animals" 2016 remaster, Dutch pressing. Lovely.....

s-l500.jpg

The 'sweet spot' was very rewarding!:heart:

The way the picture looks first I thought that was your desktop speakers!

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

a2385678449_14.jpg

Noël Akchoté - Heyoke - Plays The Music Of Kenny Wheeler -- from what I recall Kenny Wheeler is a trumpetologist what tooted on some David Sylvian records, and I've heard nowt of his own works, so this album is just a collection of solo acoustic guitar tracks to me, in Akchoté's signature slightly wobbly atonal style. But still .... noice. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff 

Tuesday Night Tunes, arrived in the post yesterday. Big fan of SV and saw her live here in Perth a few years ago. This album has been mastered by Bob Ludwig , sounds good if occasionally a little bass heavy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Been giving these three BluRays a hiding recently.

Not being a fan of Syd Barrett era Floyd, it surprises me to say that Saucerful of Secrets is my favorite among the three.  A cracking band, playing these songs as they were likely meant to be heard back in the day, smallish venue, tasteful lighting etc.

Live at Pompeii is a solid mix of Gilmour's solo and PF standards. Happy to sit and watch or just have it on in the background.

Us + Them is the one I was most looking forward to having seen the show when it was in Oz and I ended up being somewhat disappointed. Roger has always been a political animal and the cover suggests this will be the case on this disc. However, I found some of it to be more intrusive than I remembered and with sometime inappropriate timing, detracting and distracting from the music. I guess this is a show as opposed to a concert. I also have to say that "The Great Gig in the Sky" gets absolutely murdered on this disc, shivers down the spine become fingernails down a blackboard. One last gripe is that the sound mix seemingly holds the music back to give room for the "POW" moments of some of the political stuff.

YMMV, especially as I can't comment on these releases on other media but to my non audiophile ears, each of these is well worth a listen/look.

One final thought, on two of these it appears the musos are having a ball, on the other they look like they are at work.

Discs.jpg

Edited by Kahuna
Edited for grammar
  • Like 7

a1442663541_14.jpg

Ozric Tentacles - Space For The Earth -- Checked my squeezebox database and I have 22 Ozric Tentacles albums .... strewth. Anyway this is the latest wot I am streaming via the spotifies. Has the trademark trippy soundscapes, guitar solos and flute, etc wot we expect from the Ozrics.

--Geoff

Edited by hired goon
  • Like 2

I have tried to give SUEDE a decent hearing over the years but always give up, fighting to hear the music drowning under the flat,  overproduced sound scape on offer.

I have tried the hardest with this one, as I can applaud the arrangements, some passages of sweeping beauty  hooking me in, but again, the f*¥|<%>£ awful flat production makes it virtually unlistenable. Brett, who is a distinctive singer, chooses/allows his voice to be buried in the mix on many of the tracks- dude, without printed lyrics, mostly I have no idea what you are banging on about.

There is so much instrumental bleed going on I doubt even a remix could rectify matters.

if they were aiming for a neo-wall of sound thing, sadly they just scrape in with a ‘brickwalling’.

Another potentially thrilling album choked on the mixing desk.👎

7D03D55B-02B1-4F60-9A0D-B60A091F0C01.jpeg

Edited by Anatoly Beaver-Hausen
1 hour ago, Anatoly Beaver-Hausen said:

I have tried to give SUEDE a decent hearing over the years but always give up, fighting to hear the music drowning under the flat,  overproduced sound scape on offer.

I have tried the hardest with this one, as I can applaud the arrangements, some passages of sweeping beauty  hooking me in, but again, the f*¥|<%>£ awful flat production makes it virtually unlistenable. Brett, who is a distinctive singer, chooses/allows his voice to be buried in the mix on many of the tracks- dude, without printed lyrics, mostly I have no idea what you are banging on about.

There is so much instrumental bleed going on I doubt even a remix could rectify matters.

if they were aiming for a neo-wall of sound thing, sadly they just scrape in with a ‘brickwalling’.

Another potentially thrilling album choked on the mixing desk.👎

There is a lot be said about the production of a record.  To often we may ignore the importance of excellent production. Ultimately he or she directs the sound of the recording. 

My example is a record by Finn Brothers -- "Everyone is Here" . Now I believe this album was produced or recorded twice. By well known producers, but IMO the end result is terrible. I've tried this record on vinyl, CD, streaming. Each time its just bloated and to me sounds terrible. Some really nice songs on it, but the recording is horrible.   

• Like 1
  • Marc pinned and unpinned this topic