Currently Spinning

The Marc Cohn is an album I resisted listening to, mainly, just 'cos.

The MoFi is the one that converted me..  lovely atmospheric recording, sparse instrumentation , and the voice, well, I think he is the thinking persons Michael Bolton, no over singing, just grit and believability.

The JAYHAWKS is more of their prime jangle new country. Such a tasty bunch.

Billy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

On 09/07/2017 at 5:55 PM, hired goon said:

I saw the original Relayer painting in a San Francsico art gallery ... Roger Dean only wanted a cool $3 million for it. So tempted ...

--Geoff 

Hi

Better in Vietnamese Dong perhaps :thumb:

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All

An afternoon of YES:

yes-relayer.jpg 01-716241.jpg 01-898915.jpg

JJ

Very nice. One could almost say for 2/3 of your choice 'a sometimes difficult afternoon of Yes'

*edit, by way of explanation. I enjoy TFTO and Relayer enormously but it would be fair to say it took me well over 20 years from first listen to actually get into  and start enjoying them. A lot of Yes albums here at home get my wife humming or singing along. Relayer and Tales' still get the sideways look.

Edited by Hergest
TOTO! What was I thinking?
  • Like 2

Don't get me wrong MB. The comparison is only in the gritty throat voice. 

At the risk of being X-ist  , Bolton is strictly ' WASP ' , and I would rather have weasels rip my flesh than listen to him. That is why I avoided Marc Cohn, I associated the two, and despite a trusted friend suggesting I would like it, I remained stubborn.

This is a good, mature album worth checking out. Perhaps, think of it as the Nashville end of the city- country divide.

JAYHAWKS- agreed. If you love them, try and find the first " SILOS" album. They came out at the same time.

Billy.

• Like 2

NewOrleansFunk4.jpeg.dfd91246b794bb91092cb3444220b5c2.jpeg

New Orleans: The Original Sound of Funk (1951-77/2016 - CD)

Soul Jazz Records are still going strong with their series of New Orleans R&B compilations, 16 years on from the first volume and now up to about seven issues once you take in parallel products. I don't think they've ever topped the first couple, but nothing seems like the bottom of the barrel either. I simply love this music, sitting on the shoulders of early jazz and 50s R&B, but occupying its own little niche apart from the contemporary soul power houses of Motown, Stax/Atlantic and James Brown. The only drawback with going deep down the rabbit hole with these kinds of genre compilations is you get a lot of duplication: 4/18 tracks here I have elsewhere, kind of par for the course, but I'm still a happy customer.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, scuzzii said:

Then onto her highness Ms Simone

Watched the movie yesterday 'Nina' - i liked it though many have panned it and Zoe's portrayal. I thought she was excellent.

This is only Nina LP i have, keen to take suggestions for great pressings.

Cant deny the emotion and her voice on this record.

Sings The Blues is brilliant and the recent pressing from Vinyl Me Please is superb.  I can also highly recommend the Analogue Productions pressing of Little Girl Blue https://www.discogs.com/Nina-Simone-Little-Girl-Blue/release/7355649.  Stunning - it'll make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.  Silk and Soul on ORG is good, but not in the same league as the previous two.  That's all I have on vinyl - have another few on CD.  

The difference in her voice from the start of her career to the end is startling.  As much as I like her voice on Little Girl Blue, I love the lived in patina her vocal cords had acquired by Sings The Blues.

• Like 5

61nsHurlwIL._SS500.jpg

Virgin Black - Requiem: Mezzo Forte -- I picked up this CD last week at the Lifeline Bookfest "fill a bag for $10" day. It gave off a death metal vibe, but features the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra prominently, so decided to throw it in the pile. I'd say it's more like Mozart's Requiem with some doom metal, and mostly clean male / female vocals. With the female soprano, deep male vocal, and classical instrumentation, it sometimes veers into Dead Can Dance territory. Not a bad listen, and this is part of a trilogy (of course) so I may have to seek out other releases ...

--Geoff

Edited by hired goon
  • Like 2

On 06/07/2017 at 9:36 PM, metal beat said:

Radiohead - OK Computer - OKNOTOK 1997  2017  - beautiful quiet perfectly pressed BLACK VINYL

This 2017 reissue is the bomb - love it.  Is it better than my original UK pressing - don't really care - its great on its own right.

35714449306_dccbd75ff0_h.jpg

34913808904_1993968076_h.jpg

Just compared my original UK pressing with the euro Black vinyl reissue.

I actually prefer the new remaster better.  More happening in the mix and on the slab of black vinyl.   yea, perhaps sounds a little more digital vs the original pressing, but not in a bad way as I like the slight edge it brings.

It does not happen a lot, but nice to hear a new vinyl reissue sound better than the original.
  • Like 3

Can't get enough of this record

How good it is will take me a few years of living with it to make that call

Astral Weeks will never be surpassed by Sir Van or almost anybody else 

Will be in the running for his second best though

The last 3 songs are as good as it gets for me

IMG_0462.JPG

• Like 3

The Wall-Pink Floyd

wall.thumb.jpg.8672304758a6b19a84d7e9cbb3888c2d.jpg

This is new remastered from original analogue tapes version. They just can't get this album right. Previous digital remasters have been so bright and edgy as to be almost unlistenable and I've stayed with my original UK pressing despite it being noisy from years of abuse as it sounds superb. This new version is awful, truly awful. If it's from the original tapes then they are stuffed. It is lacking in any bite whatsoever and needs cranking up to ridiculous levels  to get any balls but by then it is just a wall of muddy sound. It reminds me of a few things. When you go swimming and an hour later you still have some water in your inner ear. Cassette tape playback when the head hadn't been cleaned for ages or someone had played a dirt cheap tape from a garage that has left a deposit of oxide on the heads. Another poor cassette that was recorded without Dolby nr but has been played back with it turned on. 

There's no top end, there's no depth to the soundstage, it's firmly stuck in 2d, there's something subterranean happening as if that's been cranked up to replace what's missing. It's so disappointing especially as it's such a good original recording. It's not as if the masters are 100 years old and have been stored under someones bed. Maybe the tape formulation was one of those that was never very good after a short time and no amount of baking it will bring back what once was there. Don't waste your money. The UK original is brilliant but probably daft money or too noisy to buy like mine is but I would hazard a guess that ANY UK pressing from 79 through to 83 or so should be excellent. It sold by the bazillion and there must be a 3rd of a bazillion in good nick that will be better than this. To quote Roger ; It fills me with the urge to defecate.

Edited by Hergest

2 hours ago, Hergest said:

The Wall-Pink Floyd

wall.thumb.jpg.8672304758a6b19a84d7e9cbb3888c2d.jpg

This is new remastered from original analogue tapes version. They just can't get this album right. Previous digital remasters have been so bright and edgy as to be almost unlistenable and I've stayed with my original UK pressing despite it being noisy from years of abuse as it sounds superb. This new version is awful, truly awful. If it's from the original tapes then they are stuffed. It is lacking in any bite whatsoever and needs cranking up to ridiculous levels  to get any balls but by then it is just a wall of muddy sound. It reminds me of a few things. When you go swimming and an hour later you still have some water in your inner ear. Cassette tape playback when the head hadn't been cleaned for ages or someone had played a dirt cheap tape from a garage that has left a deposit of oxide on the heads. Another poor cassette that was recorded without Dolby nr but has been played back with it turned on. 

There's no top end, there's no depth to the soundstage, it's firmly stuck in 2d, there's something subterranean happening as if that's been cranked up to replace what's missing. It's so disappointing especially as it's such a good original recording. It's not as if the masters are 100 years old and have been stored under someones bed. Maybe the tape formulation was one of those that was never very good after a short time and no amount of baking it will bring back what once was there. Don't waste your money. The UK original is brilliant but probably daft money or too noisy to buy like mine is but I would hazard a guess that ANY UK pressing from 79 through to 83 or so should be excellent. It sold by the bazillion and there must be a 3rd of a bazillion in good nick that will be better than this. To quote Roger ; It fills me with the urge to defecate.

Is yours the US or Euro pressing?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ABG said:

Is yours the US or Euro pressing?

33 minutes ago, Hergest said:

European

Damn.  I was thinking about grabbing a copy.  The others I've heard from the series were fantastic.

Currently giving the new album from London Grammar a blast.  Truth Is A Beautiful Thing

Image result for london grammar truth is a beautiful thing

Oh My God, Hannah Reid does it for me every time.  What a voice!  

Does anyone have this on vinyl?  Comments on pressing quality appreciated.

• Like 3

been listening a great deal lately to 'the idiot' - iggy pop.

produced with david bowie, this is a fantastic album recorded in berlin that slipped through the net for so many years.....:emot-bang:

thanks to herr @metal beat for the timely reminder. :thumb:

the track, 'mass production' is hot!!! love it.

P1080908 copy.JPG

Edited by analog brother
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, ABG said:

Damn.  I was thinking about grabbing a copy.  The others I've heard from the series were fantastic.

Currently giving the new album from London Grammar a blast.  Truth Is A Beautiful Thing

Image result for london grammar truth is a beautiful thing

Oh My God, Hannah Reid does it for me every time.  What a voice!  

Does anyone have this on vinyl?  Comments on pressing quality appreciated.

@ABGPressing quality by and large is good, not great.

I say that because my copy of side 3 has a  few places with slight crackling/non-fill? but not annoying enough for me to return. From memory the rest was dead quiet.

UK/EU Deluxe version.

Sound quality otherwise is superb!

• Like 2