Currently Spinning

616cgZgITDL._SS500.jpg

Kiss - Rock And Roll Over -- listening to one of me fave LPs as a yoof. Sadly overshadowed now by the popular Destroyer which came out only a few months earlier, but Kiss never topped this one, IMHO. Big crunchy guitars, killer riffs, dumb lyrics ... all the ingredients required for a great rock and/or roll record. Very well engineered too; listen to those ride cymbals on opening track I Want You, and the tone of the guitars. Ace Frehley's guitar solos are excellent throughout, such an underappreciated rock guitarist, always loose yet melodic. Gawd I sound just like a fanbois (coz I am, obvs).

--Geoff

• Like 4

Bit of an all Australian run tonight; started with-
Midnight Oil - Head Injuries (early raw awesomeness) then to 10-1 (all-time classic and amazing production), then;
Ed Kuepper- Electrical Storm leading into Honey Steels Gold (my wife is more the EK fan, but I can hear his influence in a lot of other musicians), then;
Powderfinger - Vulture Street. As much as I love elements of their earlier albums, I think this is the most consistently excellent album they ever made, and it never fails to get my feet tapping and my head nodding. And finally;
Boy & Bear - Limit of Love. I discovered these guys just after they toured Wollongong and am really disappointed I missed them. Great indy tunes well performed, and I wouldn't be surprised if B&B end up another classic Australian band.
What a fun musical trip; one I can highly recommend! [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Guest BobbyD

I know this is old school, but this cat could play the guitar, great voice and could convey emotion.

He played with all the legends..... Sinatra, Beach Boys on Pet Sounds to name a few.

Really good old recording with great dynamics and sounding wonderful tonight.

Getting on in years also.......good luck Glen

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

23 hours ago, metal beat said:

Exploded View - on Sacred Bones records.  I have read this is a bit like a modern day Velvet Underground.  thanks to @analog brother

33916667630_a52eb781c0_h.jpg

9 hours ago, soundfan said:

I streamed this via Tidal this morning and very much enjoyed it. Decent on vinyl Shane?

x2.  Cracking album.   @metal beat what's the black stuff like mate?

Thanks for bringing this to the collective awareness of SNA James  :thumb: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

Flying back in, watched Ron Howard's doco on the  Beetles; Eight Days a Week , very good. Continuing with the Liverpool sound;

Various, The Liverpool sound recorded live: At The Cavern, EMI/Decca LKA 4597 Compilation, Mono Aust. 1964.

DSCN1098.JPG

HEINZ, wow ! theres a name from the forgotton pop vaults if it is who im thinking off.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

Yep, Heinz Burt!

I was totally amazed with the guitar sound on my 45rpm single of his Questions I Cant Answer / Cant you hear the beatng of my heart,

that l played it almost daily while trying to play along on my

drums until it became too

scratchie to enjoy

• Like 2

On 28/04/2017 at 0:24 PM, soundfan said:

I streamed this via Tidal this morning and very much enjoyed it. Decent on vinyl Shane?

16 hours ago, ABG said:

x2.  Cracking album.   @metal beat what's the black stuff like mate?

Thanks for bringing this to the collective awareness of SNA James  :thumb: 

How does Exploded View sound on vinyl?   Just had another listen to the album.  

Good - similar to a lot of current release stuff - not poor by any means but not great either. Vinyl is reasonably quiet for a US pressing - but does need a couple of cleans.  

Well worth getting IMO :thumb:

• Like 3