mondie

Currently Spinning

The Beatles - With The Beatles (from the 1978 Beatles Collection blue box set)

41DjG69tLrL.jpg

I'm still umming and ahhing about getting a mono boxset.  Still not entirely convinced I need one, especially as it doesn't span their entire album list, but this illness is so damned hard to control...

John Lennon once said

If you haven't heard Sht Peppers in mono you haven't heard Sgt Peppers

Bugger off @@keyse1.  You're just trying to send me broke...  :P

Now for something completely different.  The XX - Coexist (2012 UK pressing).

41PXu%2BHC2bL.jpg

I always get nervous putting records back into these die cut covers.  The album and the quality of the pressing more than make up for the anxiety of returning the vinyl to its cover.  :thumb:

John Lennon once said

If you haven't heard Sht Peppers in mono you haven't heard Sgt Peppers

John Lennon was wrong. All the magic of that album was in its use of and experimentation with the cutting edge stereo and multi-tracking technologies just coming through - that people argue this album is better in mono baffles me. I own both and I find the mono to be a let down. A very well mastered and pressed let down, but a let down nonetheless.

"At that time [...] the console was about this big with four faders on it. And there was one speaker right in the middle [...] and that was it. When they invented stereo, I remember thinking 'Why? What do you want two speakers for?', because it ruined the sound from our point of view. You know, we had everything coming out of one speaker; now it had to come out of two speakers. It sounded like ... very ... naked"

George Harrison commenting on St Pepper's.

George and John, at the very least...vs a Heathen...need I say more.  ;)

Ed Keupper - Black Ticket Day

A11cJxAkSeL._SX522_.jpg

I saw Ed play on Thursday night in what was without doubt the most intimate performance I've ever seen from him - and I've seen Ed play a gig  or two.  I was stunned to learn that Lost Cities is his 50th album.  Talk about prolific - the man's a machine!  I only have 6 of his records, but I've listened to a few more than that and I'm yet to hear a dud.  Here's to his next 20 records  :thumb:

Felt like some dirty bluesy guitar this arvo.  So local Vegas Kings For Those Who Came in Late and Grinderman 2 got the nod.  Someone mentioned to me the other week that Vegas Kings are getting back together, hope that was correct.

a1067528579_2.jpg

Grinderman_album.jpg

George and John, at the very least...vs a Heathen...need I say more.  ;)

From a pop cultural, and rock history point of view - I'm right. Doesn't mean that's how they liked it or saw it - but it's significance is largely to be found in the studio wizardry implemented during the production process.

Digable Planets - Blowout Comb (1994 - ALAC)

Some relaxed, jazzy hip-hop on the Tivoli mono speaker. I think I prefer their previous, Reachin', but this is good too.

Edited by Monty

From a pop cultural, and rock history point of view - I'm right. Doesn't mean that's how they liked it or saw it - but it's significance is largely to be found in the studio wizardry implemented during the production process.

Dear oh dear

That is totally not true except a little bit

There are a lot of reasons it is considered the best record

Studio wizardry is part of it

But mainly it is down to the musicians

There are a million words about it on the internet but try this

Buy a cd

Stick it in the car

And drive off into the sunset

It will sound great

Like all great records do

Regardless of the electronics

Paul McCartney once said from memory

I can't understand expensive high fi

I hear The Beach Boys on the radio and it sounds great

The Fatback Band: Let's Do It Again (1972); People Music (1973)

These albums are good not great. There's some half halfarsed filler here. But when they were on, these guys nailed the early 70s funk sound as well as anybody: in the pocket drums, loping and/or agile bass, stabbing horns, heaven scratching wah-wah guitar. Plus they get bonus points for having one of the best names ever.

Dear oh dear

That is totally not true except a little bit

There are a lot of reasons it is considered the best record

Studio wizardry is part of it

But mainly it is down to the musicians

There are a million words about it on the internet but try this

Buy a cd

Stick it in the car

And drive off into the sunset

It will sound great

Like all great records do

Regardless of the electronics

Paul McCartney once said from memory

I can't understand expensive high fi

I hear The Beach Boys on the radio and it sounds great

Guarantee you that CD you buy is gonna be mixed in stereo... ;) ...and there's something just a lil wrong about the Beatles on CD anyway. Vinyl or nothing methinks. Oh and that McCartney quote only serves to show that while they were incredible musicians - they weren't infallible on the subject matter on which they sometimes chose to speak... This is a Hi-Fi forum after all!? :)

Diff'rnt strokes and all that...

Gave this a spin after Turntables posting of an upcoming reissue. Not my favourite by The Church and this spin confirmed I dont really need the reissue

61p-y6EcBQL.jpg

Yup, I heartily third the recs of @@Hi-Fi heathen and @, and was only recently talking Songs for the Deaf in a PM, runs out of puff a bit on the B side but still a brilliant record.

No Rated R or Songs for the Deaf in the collection, wow man mind blown, next you'll be telling me you don't have any KYUSS either??

Yeah got Kyuss covered dont worry :P Rated R will be joining them soon

Such a great album, sounds timeless. Oh, and Angie :love  Got a release in the UK on vinyl, might have to snag a copy

51GeI%2By6TRL.jpg

Cant get enough Bungle, and no reunion in sight. :(

post-140952-0-14833400-1459211754_thumb.

Edited by Darren69

RAIME: Quarter Turns Over A Living Line

Dark and broody, with powerful underlying bass notes.

As an aside, whenever I see the cover I would love it if someone would choreograph a contemporary dance piece to this music.

attachicon.gifraime.jpg

That's a cracker Cliff....really looking forward to what they come up with next.

Amanda F**cking Palmer with Anna Calvi - Blackstar

http://amandapalmer.net/strungoutinheaven/

Found on this EP: Strung Out In Heaven: A Bowie String Quartet Tribute

Not so sure of this one. Almost a deconstruction, but Blackstar is soaked in Bowie's imminent death and his songwriting comes through clearly even in this covers version.

a3725512135_16.jpg

Ben Craven - Last Chance To Hear -- got this CD today from the man himself (not difficult, since we work together and have the occasional jam). More mostly instrumental "cinematic" (wot used to be "progressive") rock, featuring William Shatner (yes, Cap'n Kirk) doing his vocal magic on one track. Cover art by Freya Dean (daughter of Roger, who did the Yes covers of yore).

--Geoff

Timbaland - Shock Value. US pressing 2LP.   certainly not as good as his stuff he did with MIssy Elliott but rather good hip hop RnB

9f453e6f.jpg

Timbaland - Shock Value. US pressing 2LP. certainly not as good as his stuff he did with MIssy Elliott but rather good hip hop RnB

9f453e6f.jpg

He might feel the same way, but it's too late to apologise.