mondie

Currently Spinning

The Saints were a great rock n roll band

No where near as good as the GB's who were enormously unpopular

I've seen the GB's play more often than any other band in lots of incarnations as well as individually and as a duo

I wish everybody liked them

Try The Mekons lp you might like that noisy band

Cheers

I'm with you @@keyse1.  The Go Betweens were brilliant and I was at the last Robert Forster gig at OAF which was typically fantastic.

f5d7ae38.jpg

Listening to Bjork - Vulnicura for the first time and I'm impressed.  Mighty cool sleeve over the album.  It caught me out.  :)

Edited by ABG

Henry's Anger, sensational band from Canberra back in the 90's.

I remember them, saw them a number of times. Had mates in a band called Grinder, also from Canberra same era.

9c8beaf76d5acf46b6792fb6556d121a.jpg

We take #strayaday very seriously at my place

Cheers,

Leigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superunknown sits eternally in my top three 90's albums. For a long time I have known of the existence of a 2004 German vinyl reissue that was universally praised as the best sounding version available for those who had been able to compare it to the many other variants. I knew I had to own a copy no matter what and it took me 4 years to find a copy and finally, this weekend I had my first spin of my copy bought from a seller in Norway.

It sounds stunning, by far the best I have heard this brilliant album sound. I would rate it a 9/10 against my heavy rock reference - the original RL RATM vinyl which is easily a 10/10. These 320 mastering's definitely have a house sound, if you have heard any of the 320 Nirvana pressings then the dynamic sound, slightly dark bass and massively wide soundstage is all there and suits Superunknown perfectly.

41P1443RDHL.jpg

@@mondie Superunknown - I want one too!

Cheers,

Leigh

@@mondie

congrats on the searching and finding a copy.   Is this replacing the CD or another vinyl copy?

I have the original US clear vinyl pressing and it sounds excellent - never felt the need to look for a better copy.   will need to give it a spin this week LOUD.

cheers

Edited by metal beat

No still got the original CD that I have played to death. I still chuckle at the memory of Mike Kontor placing it into a CD player years ago when I was listening to his speakers and his comment on seeing the CD having a vinyl image on it remarked 'how ironic!'

wilson-500x500.jpg

Steven Wilson ep of sorts.   4 1/2.  37 minutes.  6 tracks.  9.35 starter and 9.34 ender.

Just more quality from the genius.   :love :love :love :love

Regards Cazzesman

the criminally underrated David j - Not long for This World.    A wonderfully English sounding album - sounds great on vinyl.

post-105087-0-53923000-1453761243_thumb.

Edited by metal beat

A couple of Aussie classics to kick off Australia Day.

R-4274083-1361179017-3357.jpeg.jpg

R-1365585-1213216865.jpeg.jpg

time for an Aussie spin. Ollie Olsen and Gus Till's 1991 Third Eye album.  5 x 12 inch 45rpm inside a nice round plastic film reel.    On Regular records and pressed by the wonderful Festival records back in 1991.

The absolute best cover of Johnny Young's "The Real Thing ".   Yes I know it was released by Russell Morris, however Johhny wrote it - I was flabbergasted years ago when I read that.

23985995784_43dcd2b117_h.jpg

Edited by metal beat

Ausie Day music

Some of my old favourites, Vinyl and a couple of CD's

post-104420-0-56559300-1453787504_thumb.

Guest Willow

Nice work Grumps , I was wondering what you might put up this year - I actually picked two ( artists )

Mini road trip today.

Didn't even think about spinning 'Aussie' music, but I apparently did! :thumb:

MI0003614115.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

One of my go-to albums when I can't work out what to get into ! :unsure:

Edited by surfpurple

Guest Willow

0000081716_500.jpg

Richard Clapton - Goodbye Tiger

Perfect background music as I prepare my famous Aussie chilli for topping the roast potatoes which off-set the pork spare ribs -  Down in the lucky country.

Quite possibly my favourite Australian album.

First pressing, mastered by Bob Ludwig, with embossed cover. Sounds brilliant. Especially turned up.

R-651034-1398621576-5788.jpeg.jpg

The absolute best cover of Johnny Young's "The Real Thing ".   Yes I know it was released by Russell Morris, however Johhny wrote it - I was flabbergasted years ago when I read that.

I didn't know he wrote it, but I knew it was produced by Ian Meldrum.

been listening to the latest beach house album today; leigh is right - it's definitely a grower!

post-128755-0-47872700-1453804554_thumb.

A fantastic recommendation from Soundfan is this. Still available on clear vinyl for peanuts, its a great pressing with good SQ. The music has a dreamy, melancholy feel with some moments of real beauty. Highly recommended

51yxE3-%2B38L.jpg

Dinosaur Jr. - I Bet On Sky

Frankly, one of their best IMO. Brilliantly crafted and eminently listenable. J Mascis is fine wine. ;)

Lou Barlow too. He played a laidback set of great songs last night in the Speigeltent. Armed with only his acoustic guitar, a synth and a ukulele, he played without a set list taking requests from the audience. I wanted to hear Imagination Blind from the Dinosaur Jr album Farm. He must have heard me mention it to the guys, as it was the next song he played. Good stuff! [emoji122]

Cheers,

Leigh

The Jezabels 'Prisoner' on Australia Day for all of us saddened by Heather's cancer battle and the tour cancellation. 

Better days ahead Heather - much strength to you.

jezabelsprisoner1.jpg

Lou Barlow too. He played a laidback set of great songs last night in the Speigeltent. Armed with only his acoustic guitar, a synth and a ukulele, he played without a set list taking requests from the audience. I wanted to hear Imagination Blind from the Dinosaur Jr album Farm. He must have heard me mention it to the guys, as it was the next song he played. Good stuff! [emoji122]

Cheers,

Leigh

Awesome mate! I really appreciate your apparent love of getting out and seeing acts live. My own passion for live music has been somewhat stifled since moving to a small town a few years ago... My collection however, only grows!