Currently Spinning

Sarah McLachlan - Laws of Illusion US LP

Big fan of this lady's work, and this is a pretty nice way to spend 40 minutes.

I've never liked the drumming on her albums, which sounds like someone playing a bucket with plastic straws, and this is no better on vinyl (like it might magically get better somehow!)   :lol:

Meanwhile, the electric guitars are allowed to scream away unfettered. 

She also has the worst stylist and image making team (surely?) in popular music - I generally loathe her album covers and sleeve photography, and this one is a  new low point.

Luckily, the music inside is primo and the quality of the vinyl quite good, straight out of the sleeve.

Remixed for this 2nd pressing by Stan Ricker, if the deadwax markings are to be believed (the familiar 'SR/2' is there).

Nothing 'special edition' about this vinyl either - it's readily and generally available and has been since it's original release, however, it does lop off 2 songs that appear on the CD.

I guess that is pretty special

Anyway - always worth having Sarah on vinyl for mine, and the music is delightful.

sarahlawsspins.jpg

Edited by candyflip
  • Like 1

OMG been looking for this record forever and stumbled across a mint copy today during a visit to Melbourne based store Missing Link. Smartly snapped it up and am currently enjoying it over a few beers.

Fantastic stuff if your into what is basically a hour long semi improvised instrumental piece

post-122789-0-13638700-1414138145_thumb.

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 5

OMG been looking for this record forever and stumbled across a mint copy today during a visit to Melbourne based store Missing Link. Smartly snapped it up and am currently enjoying it over a few beers.

Fantastic stuff if your into what is basically a hour long semi improvised instrumental piece

Sounds right up my alley, will check it out. For the benefit of those with old eyes, it is Grobschnitt - Solar Music live
  • Like 2

My daughters thought Lenny Kravitz was just an actor in the Hunger Games - new 2LP set - funky.  Even this fully fledged hetro thinks Lenny looks pretty damn good and better than 20 years ago - How the fcuk can he be 50!!

I saw a few photo shoots of him recently and thought the same thing - then I thought -steroids and a personal trainer and chef - I can't explain it any other way.

Edited by candyflip
  • Like 1

Still working the same rich vein. Some real heavyweights of funk and soul here, all past their absolute best by 1973 (IMO), but still on top of their games, having each honed their own mature, wonderful sound.

Sly_Fresh_zps2701b94a.jpgJB_Payback_zps1d21ae07.jpgMarvinGaye_LGIO_zpsd4bfb991.jpg

• Like 1

I have a Grobbschnitt 2CD live album, the first disc includes a 55 minute version of Solar Music ... excellent prog, but they do get a bit theatrical and over the top in places.

--Geoff

• Like 1

tumblr_l0bkchOfMj1qbn2z0o1_500.jpg

Sat arvo, big tropical storm moving in but I bet the buggers got less grunt,heft,bass,lightning and ultra loudness than my speakers are poking out with this album testing the speakers and the bran nue Redgum amp I'm testing.

*Note to those who have already tested this little amp like @@Damo and @@adamg and @@Cafad and testers to come like @@Darren69....

I've got this wound up to 2 o'clock playing vinyl....damn near nuking the paint off the walls!

• Like 7

Sat arvo, big tropical storm moving in but I bet the buggers got less grunt,heft,bass,lightning and ultra loudness than my speakers are poking out with this album testing the speakers and the bran nue Redgum amp I'm testing.

*Note to those who have already tested this little amp like @@Damo and @@adamg and @@Cafad and testers to come like @@Darren69....

I've got this wound up to 2 o'clock playing vinyl....damn near nuking the paint off the walls!

Good to hear, there's nothing quite like a little Saturday afternoon nuking.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this one before (suspect I have). Gave it a spin last night.

Linda Thompson - Versatile Heart (2007)

Linda-Thompson-Versatile-Heart.jpg

I picked this up for the princely sum of $3 in one of those CD clearance sales that pop up from time to time.

This is a pretty good album, and seems to get better with each listen. There is quite a list of people contributing to this album. Names include, John Doyle (ex Solas) on acoustic guitar, John Joe Kelly (ex Flook) on bodhran, some harmony vocals from Martha Wainwright as well as Eliza and Martin Carthy. There is also a string quartet, a colliery style brass band and a number of other musicians who I'm not familiar with. If this all sounds a bit overpowering, its definitely not. Not everyone appears on every track, and the arrangements are very tastefully done. She covers a range of styles, although the predominant feel is of country style ballads. Some tracks lean more towards English folk, while "Do Your Best For Rock 'N Roll" leans toward 50s style rock 'n roll (as one would expect perhaps).

A number of the tracks were recorded live. Quality of the live tracks (both performance and soundwise) is equal to the studio tracks, possibly even a bit better. The album is nicely bookended with a short instrumental track titled 'Stay Bright' written by her son Teddy Thompson (who also produced some tracks). The first track is performed solo by Teddy Thompson on acoustic guitar, while the final track is performed by the Scorchio Quartet.

What I think really makes this album work, is Linda Thompson's delightful vocals. She sings in an understated way, but with genuine feeling, which I find quite engaging.

The whole album is good, but if I had to pick a favourite track it would be her cover of the Tom Waits / Kathleen Brennan song 'Day After Tomorrow'. I love this version. (It appears to be one of the live tracks, incidentally. That's not mentioned in the liner notes, but the applause at the end gives it away.)

Here is a clip.

Not a bad pickup for $3!  :)

• Like 1

Sneaking another listen to this after daughter #2 introduced me to her today , can't let on that I don't mind it.

vs+Head+vs+Heart+Emma+Louise.png

Daughter #2 has made her way into the big smoke to catch her last gig before heading off to France - so I'm safe.

Desert Island disc.
  • Like 2

Seeing as the Rolling Stones are playing in Adelaide right now (I can hear them playing when I go outside), I figured it might be the right time to give this a spin.

51eZqYbBuOL.jpg

The best album they ever made (in my opinion).

• Like 4