Currently Spinning

Always hear about Dead Can Dance and being blown away by Lisa Gerrard's voice on Gladiator's Elysium or Now We Are Free, which perhaps was a DCD track?

Gave this a sample..

post-105052-0-81160700-1413082253_thumb.

Wow the first track The Host of Seraphim was too amazing and almost too much, so changed to some Radiohead and will finish the album another day..

post-105052-0-12623900-1413082258_thumb.

• Like 3

Beautiful noise free black vinyl, unlike the poor bastards whoihave been through 5 months of hell with the RSD Cake vinyl box set, with faulty noisy pressings.

cake-fashion-nugget.jpeg

Where did you get that @? One of my desert island discs but only have it on CD

• Like 1

Where did you get that @? One of my desert island discs but only have it on CD

I bought it when it was released in 1996.    I just checked they go starting at over $200 now.  I guess they are somewhat valuable now

Edited by metal beat

The second re=-press of the Cake box set is being shipped out now. I haven't read any reports on if the pressing issues are resolved but with the length of time and amount of bad press the first issue got you would hope so.

EARTH - Primitive and Deadly - 2lp with Mark Lanegan guest vocals on 2 tracks.  The vinyl has an additional "vinyl"only track, which is arguably the best track on the album.

new album from Drone kings Earth. a bit heavier than the last few albums, tis good

0003333087_10.jpg

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1

TomWaits_FA_zps7e852ac7.jpg

Tom Waits - Foreign Affairs (1977/CD)

Picked this up today in the Original Album Series set. A slightly frivolous purchase given I already own all the others. I used to have this on tape, but it's taken a long time to get round to buying it. 'Burma Shave' was my favourite then and again now. It's amazing how music you've hardly heard in years remains impressed on the brain, to sound deeply familiar on re-acquaintance.

• Like 1

new Tea Party album.  2lp's pressed at Optimal in Germany and comes with a free CD.  Last 2 sides are pretty good on first listen.  This album will take a few listens.  Even a cover of a Daniel Lanois song - The Maker

640x640xocean-end.jpg.pagespeed.ic.-iviq

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 2

2nd album from the Radiohead drummer Philip Selway - Weatherhouse.    the vinyl comes with CD of the album.  always like this.   

This album will develop with a few more listens no doubt like the first album. Not as pure folk and acoustic guitar as his first album, more darker atmospheric synths with plenty of subtle percussion effects. Still with Selways gentle vocals ( excluding the first track which sounds like he pit his voice through a vocoder)      very nice

weatherhouse.jpg

• Like 1

2nd album from the Radiohead drummer Philip Selway - Weatherhouse. the vinyl comes with CD of the album. always like this.

This album will develop with a few more listens no doubt like the first album. Not as pure folk and acoustic guitar as his first album, more darker atmospheric synths with plenty of subtle percussion effects. Still with Selways gentle vocals ( excluding the first track which sounds like he pit his voice through a vocoder) very nice

weatherhouse.jpg

Hi Shane. Have been spinning this also. Agree its a grower. I finds some tracks have his ethereal voice but not consistently across the album like the previous one, but I am also enjoying the extra instruments that add to the overall much fuller sound compared to the previous. I imagine it will be in the high rotation pile before making its way onto the racks. I really don't understand why he is not more popular. Whenever I play Familial I always get a "wow who is that".
  • Like 2

Tom Waits: Franks Wild Years

No such thing as a bad Waits album, and this one is on the platter now. I just love  "Innocent When You Dream" and "Cold Cold Ground" from this.

Marc Ribot and David Hidalgo are among a stellar cast.

And the NZ first pressing is pretty damn good too.

MI0001939058.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 3

For Arthur Russell fans there is a new tribute album (1 and 3/4 hours!) coming out on the Red Hot series. NPR have a steam here http://www.npr.org/2014/10/12/354284791/first-listen-master-mix-red-hot-arthur-russell

Artists include Sufjan Stevens, Jose Gonzales, Hot Chip, Blood Orange and artists like Peter Zimmo who worked with Russell.

So far I'm finding it a bit hit and miss, as these compilations often are. I don't think this tribute will be as good as Arthur's Landing which came out a few years back.

post-130887-0-13309500-1413275524.jpg

• Like 2