mondie

Currently Spinning

Picked this one up cos of the "Previn" connection. Turns out she was a well known lyricist of songs that's been nominated for Oscars in times past. 

The music would have to take time to grow on me, from what I'm hearing.

IMG_20171120_134807515.jpg

11 minutes ago, YCC said:

Picked this one up cos of the "Previn" connection. Turns out she was a well known lyricist of songs that's been nominated for Oscars in times past. 

The music would have to take time to grow on me, from what I'm hearing.

IMG_20171120_134807515.jpg

Great record 

listened to it hundreds of times in the 70’s

very intellectual from memory

she was married to Andre Previn who was “stolen off her by Mia Farrow

on one of her other albums I have on cd there is a song about it 

can’t quite think of the name

i should look that up on cd

where did you hear about Dory Previn

@keyse1... "Beware of young girls"... title of that song.

Her name was vaguely familiar though couldn't place her. I was intrigued enough...  Yes, would take some work to appreciate. 

14 hours ago, analog brother said:

great to see you settled into your new space and your beloved system, mark.

love the kartell lamp and kauffmann house print too.

maybe you need your minusK back to ameliorate some bass.

Thanks James.  I know you like those Kartell lamps. We are slowly putting up the art works around the new place. The Slim Aaron's does look cool above the gear.  Jules bought me an Elliot Landy photo of Dylan at Woodstock for my bday.  Finally got it up also.  Bass issues are related to room config and not sure the minus k will make much difference. I'm thinking of the moving system into the smaller room but reluctant given I have been without music for so long.  Though I do have the Bose system throughout the whole house. It's good to listen to ABC radio in the morning.  :)

BTW I also missed HTRK and Julianna Barwick last week. Man flu took me out for a couple of days. Leigh and Orlando did go, and sounds like a great night. 

hi mark, room looks great.

you and jules have great taste in furniture and art.

maybe tt's feedback in the corner? do cd's have the same issue?

abc radio is very relaxing way to begin the day - i have discovered 'abc jazz' station broadcasting in digital, fantastic programming!

hi mark, room looks great.
you and jules have great taste in furniture and art.
maybe tt's feedback in the corner? do cd's have the same issue?
abc radio is very relaxing way to begin the day - i have discovered 'abc jazz' station broadcasting in digital, fantastic programming!

Thanks James. Haven't played any cds yet. Only had a chance to listen to 4 lps. Will give one a try when I have a chance.

5 hours ago, soundfan said:

The latest Bob bootleg release on vinyl is a cracker. Sturdy outer box, excellent booklet, and 4 great sounding records.

From the first track Slow Train on LP1 to Every Grain Of Sand, the last track on LP4, it is brilliant.

Only 3 tracks are repeated throughout the 30 songs here, but of course they are different versions.

Supply your own poly inners . 

Glad I cancelled the 8 CD version, am not a big fan of hearing countless versions of the same song, although I know I'm missing out on some songs I haven't heard before.

20171120_121545.jpg

Chris.  great to see someone received theirs :P   mine was supposed to arrive almost 2 weeks ago - Its now lost, so amazon are shipping me a replacement.  sounds like someone in the i-parcel supply chain is really enjoying my Dylan box set :hiccup

Title: After a Time   Artist: Holly Throsby 

Needs no introduction really, a favourite I think amongst many snaers!

5a12948bd472a_snaAfterATime.jpg.04f39dc5f6ef2feafa7350f3aa5b6309.jpg

Rolling Stones - Stray Cats - 2lp from the mono box set.  As the name implies this album is a round up of various single versions of album tracks, b-sides and other odds and ends from 1960s Stones’ recordings.

This deserves a release of its own.  I had never heard the songs Who's Driving your Plane, Sad Day or Child of the Moon before ( both superb) , As Tears Go By sung in Italian, the single We Love You and b side Dandelion.  awesome.

38536978831_52a8c42ec6_b.jpg

Hi All

A little bit of French Electronica:

Air - Pocket Symphony                                            Air - Le Voyage Dans La Lune

Airpocketsymphony.jpg Air_La_Voyage_Dans_La_Lune_album_cover.j

JJ

Edited by Janjuc

On 11/19/2017 at 6:35 PM, Luc said:

Crow.thumb.jpg.ce1a37a87d11bb8bb53a93284afbaf43.jpg

Hi

I remember having this and Crow - Music back in the day, but went walkabout at my 21st birthday party, with no one having any knowledge, there are Mates and mates....

JJ

Edited by Janjuc

spare hour popped up!!!

Aphex Twin: Come to Daddy....still brutal after 20 years, really enjoying the other tracks too.

Second half of Radiohead's A Moon Shaped Poll

IMG_0881.jpg

From 2015, pretty much a perfect album in every respect. Produced by Joni Mitchell's ex Larry Klein, but for point of reference, think Julie London or Peggy Lee at their torch song best, produced by Joe Henry.

Billy.

image.jpeg

Robert Plant-Carry Fire, just got this today, sounds Good !!

Rhiannon Giddens-Freedom Highway, another new one for me liking what I hear, probably need to give them both a few more spins.

IMG_3048.JPG

IMG_3053.JPG

Rhiannon Giddens is great.

Her other album titled "Tomorrow is my Turn " is also really good. It has a classic old style blues feel and was produced by Quincy Jones. I have both and they are on regular rotation.

Some of her other work as part of the oddly named "Carolina Chocolate Drops " is also interesting as it incorporates some of the field hollers and songs that the African slaves voiced and sang in the cotton field of the evil Southern Aristocracy

Edited by rantan

image.png.781d61578c356b4b62bab13b53b9be3a.png

One of the more stripped back, hard rock efforts by Toto.  One of my Fav's

Steve's in great form on both 6 string and vocals.  Jeff Porcaro is brilliant on the kit.

Regards Cazzesman

@Kafunis and @rantan...thanks for your postings, have sampled Rhianna's albums and liked what I heard. Have ordered them from the SA Library. cheers...yee 

Listening to the famous crossed strung guitar of John McLaughlin.

Shakti.

1511257047790-1862742646.jpg

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.