Currently Spinning

Time for some legendary Allan Holdsworth - This track, which I consider his best composition is from a 1984 EP called "Road Games".

(I really like the phrasing he manages to create on this track - The most sublime part of this song begins at around the 1:06 minute mark).

Some more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpAMK3Bxje4&list=AL94UKMTqg-9C43u7EgJ0DapDvd8ZqpOap

• Like 2

Have heard a Japanese version, prefer the Canadian. And yes, the Mofi is the pits.  :)

That's a big call, the Japanese pressing is a lot better than the others I have heard. Never heard the Canadian though.

DS

I call it as I heard it at the time.

SHF have had several threads over the years on this and the Canadian version has many fans. I found one on ebay with deadwax info that folk were saying sounded good, and agree with their opinions.

But like I said already, that's my opinion.

• Like 1

I call it as I heard it at the time.

SHF have had several threads over the years on this and the Canadian version has many fans. I found one on ebay with deadwax info that folk were saying sounded good, and agree with their opinions.

But like I said already, that's my opinion.

I already got 3 copies, I ain't getting another ;)  I don't necessarily disbelieve you, but the Japanese pressing is miles ahead of the Aus and MoFi pressings I also have. The Aus is muddy, the MoFi is sharp but unbalanced, virtually no bass, drums recessed. The Japanese pressing has clarity without being anemic (MoFi) and balance between the instruments. Such a brilliant album, pity most pressings are crap.

DS

Names guys, gimme names, i.e. artist/album  :) Some of those album covers are obscure or illegible. Also, it is worth considering those whose browser settings preclude the display of images, due to their limited bandwidth....

Explanatory text should always accompany images and video linx, imho.

• Like 2

Mary Gauthier: The Foundling

The songs on The Foundling are all related to Mary Gauthier's own experience of being given up for adoption by her birth mother. I found a number of them haunting and deeply moving. Stay away if your into uplifting music.  :P

Production work here is by Michael Timmins of Cowboy Junkies: he matches her highly personal, finely-performed songs against delicate, drifting settings in which her acoustic guitar work is backed by accordion, fiddle, keyboards or slide guitar.

41A-2o0K-wL._SS500_.jpg

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 1

Thanks for the description above, soundfan. I have something in common, which may explain why I listen to music like this, so I will check that out. You see, music is deeply personal, to me.

Ringing Bell

020.jpg

G'day rehab

I too like a lot of my music dark, miserable and gutwrenching. Maybe I'm just a sad ***k.  

I'll try and check out that Ringing Bell too. 

• Like 2

G'day rehab

I too like a lot of my music dark, miserable and gutwrenching. Maybe I'm just a sad ***k.  

I'll try and check out that Ringing Bell too. 

Hehe, it's good if you like guttural doom metal. Two words mate;

. If you're anywhere near as dark as me, which I suspect you are, I think you will identify with this. Like Miles, it can become a lifetime thing.
  • Like 2

Mary Gauthier: The Foundling

The songs on The Foundling are all related to Mary Gauthier's own experience of being given up for adoption by her birth mother. I found a number of them haunting and deeply moving. Stay away if your into uplifting music.  :P

Production work here is by Michael Timmins of Cowboy Junkies: he matches her highly personal, finely-performed songs against delicate, drifting settings in which her acoustic guitar work is backed by accordion, fiddle, keyboards or slide guitar.

41A-2o0K-wL._SS500_.jpg

I love this album soundfan. I agree, some of the songs are deeply moving and incredibly personal. I listen to this type of music generally as it is very mellow.

Hey T/T - I see you like your 4AD albums.

I'm really impressed with This Mortal Coil. - A superb album, especially "Song to the Siren"

Told you we have great musical taste ;)

4AD great label.  I remember going into Phantom records in Pitt st where they had their own 4AD section :D

Every Thursday night after work, I used to go over to the city and trawl the record shops and spend every last penny I did not have on music.  Great times, pity all the great record shops are virtually gone.

Got all the Mortal Coil LP's as well as lots/all of  Dead can dance, Ultra Vivd Scene, Bauhaus, Colourbox, AR Kane, Clan of Xymox, Cocteau Twins, Frazier Chorus, Kendra Smith, Kristen Hersh, Lush, Marrs, Pale Saints, Pixies, Scheer, the breeders, the Hope Blister, The The, Throwing Muses,  Xmal Deutschland. 

Last but not least the wonderful Lonely is an Eyesore compilation of which every song bar the DCD song is only on this compilation

51udBmS3HgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by turntable
  • Like 1

Roger Waters: The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking

I've had this in my LP rack for over 5 years, and have never played it. In fact I haven't ever heard the album before.  :P

Strange really... as I have been a Pink Floyd fan since late 70's and own 5 or 6 of their albums.

Not too bad so far.

MI0002497764.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

• Like 5