Currently Spinning

The Kinks - Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One [2CD]

50th anniversary 2020 remaster

lola-versus-powerman-and-the-moneygoroun

Picked this one up yesterday. I already have the earlier 2014 release (with the soundtrack from 'Percy' on disc 2), but couldn't resist this one.

This is in a hard cover book form, with the two discs contained in pouches at the back. The booklet contains a fairly comprehensive description about the making of the album, followed by detailed notes about each of the tracks on the two discs.

Disc one is the 2020 stereo remaster of the original album plus mono single mixes of Lola, Apeman, Rats, Powerman as well as an alternate stereo version of Apeman. Disc 2 is a bit of a mix of alternate takes, demos and various live versions. Its interesting enough for what it is, but disc one is where the real action is.

It seems the album was somewhat under-appreciated when it was released in 1970, despite Lola being such a great hit, with Apeman as the follow up. I think its a great album right through, really enjoyed sitting down last night and cranking up the volume, the 2020 remaster sounds great.

A couple of tracks. I'll stay away from Lola and Apeman (everybody knows those) but these are great as well. Love those guitar riffs.

Top of the Pops.

Powerman

• Like 1

Has anyone heard of the Irish band called: Director. Or have any of their albums? I must admit, l have never heard of them, until recently. But you know me...forever looking for new bands.

They only brought out 2 albums, 2006 & 2009. Thier first album won the Irish Music Prize for best album, We Thrive On Big Cities.

I guess you would call them Art Rock. They sound a lot like Joy Division, but on steroids (I guess that is why l like them). They also remind me of the English band: Wire.

On first cd listen. Their rhythm section is tight as..... The vocals very melodic and catchy.And when the guitars kick in, wow.

The other album is called: I'll Wait For Sound. But trying to buy their albums new is nigh imposible. Well l couldn't find any. But after a couple of months of looking. I found them both on eBay, 2nd hand. Said both in mint condition. Just had to replace the jewel case, the one l have received so far.

But this first album is a stunning album. They only had the 2 albums, then disbanded. Which is a shame, because they could have been anything. Still waiting for the 2nd album to arrive. Will post a review when l get it.

Well worth streaming if you are into this type of sound.

👌Ken

16241652425885672406005172661588.jpg

I play CD's every now and then and keep forgetting to post them here. I have a new bluray player which I am testing CD's on and last night the ingredients were there for a real head trip (after I watched a movie).

Started with Todd Rundgren's (TR-1) cut and paste masterpiece "No World Order" which is a real cerebral blast. This album takes me places.....

Todd Rundgren - No World Order - Amazon.com Music

Next up was another brain basher, Billy Idol's "Cyberpunk". An underrated album but maybe an acquired taste for some. It's a great recording with excellent SQ.

That Time Billy Idol Jumped to the Future With 'Cyberpunk'

I finished with the ultimate in space rock, Hawkwinds "Warrior On The Edge Of Time" Atomhenge remaster. By the end of this, my satisfied brain needed a rest and I was ready for dreamland! Spacey dreams!B|

Hawkwind Warrior on the Edge of Time (Album)- Spirit of Metal Webzine (en)

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Abit of Tal.  Very different from what I ever expected.   Needs more listens but it has my interest.

Tal Wilkenfeld - Love Remains

So what does Love Remains sound like? Well, imagine if Joni Mitchell, Jaco Pastorious, Phoebe Bridgers, and 2010s Steven Wilson had a love child. The album is a beautiful mix of indie rock, progressive rock, folk, and jazz, yet it still manages to retain a clear razor-sharp vision throughout its runtime.

https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/79790/Tal-Wilkenfeld-Love-Remains/

Regards Cazzesman

tw.jpg

Edited by cazzesman