Currently Spinning

2 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

I am lost on subgenres of electronica. This has been the case ever since the days when Grime was invented as a genre by the English music press and suddenly it became a category. Which happened not long after ambient was claimed as something that had nothing whatsoever to do with Brian Eno, Harold Budd, or Opal Records. My lack of knowledge means plain speaking: "if it goes 'doof doof', or would be heard in a lift or foyer, or requires pills to hold one's attention, I'm not interested".

So I avoid things with the word 'jazz' in the category (ambient jazz? acid jazz?), geographical categories (Goan Sounds Direct From Ibiza!), and where the category is synonymous with "comatose" ('trance').

This holds the interest, albeit mainly in the first half. Composition and arrangements often have a bit of thought to them, rather than putting sequencers on autopilot:

R-297519-1227356436.jpeg.jpg

actually, if you’re exploring electronic music, Trance can actually be a super-fun genre. It’s characterised by long, intense builds and epic peaks or “drops”. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea but it’s not mellow like it sounds

Edited by RankStranger
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, RankStranger said:

actually, if you’re exploring electronic music, Trance can actually be a super-fun genre. It’s characterised by long, intense builds and epic peaks or “drops”. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea but it’s not as mellow as it sounds

Not mellow at all, really.  AS you and I both know.

I love trance, and I loved the peak of it in late 90's/2000's.

In fact, I've been wearing my Gatecrasher tee all day today, by pure co-incidence.  ?

gatecrashertee.jpg.c83cc5c22855a298a4cd38eab2691410.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, candyflip said:

Not mellow at all, really.  AS you and I both know.

I love trance, and I loved the peak of it in late 90's/2000's.

In fact, I've been wearing my Gatecrasher tee all day today, by pure co-incidence.  ?

gatecrashertee.jpg.c83cc5c22855a298a4cd38eab2691410.jpg

Yeah, should’ve said ‘not mellow like it sounds’ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

we were driving past the docklands yesterday with our kids and I pointed and said mummy and I went to nye party in one of those warehouses exactly 18 years ago today. 

welcome 2002. They didn’t care :D 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Mendes said:

Neil, live back to back....both stunning live recordings, so hard to pick a favourite.....any thoughts?

BE51B38D-608A-48BE-8638-3549BC78B337.jpeg

i haven’t heard the cellar door but I love Massey hall. It’s so low key and intimate. Just a kid trying some stuff out 

• Like 2

On 23/02/2020 at 9:42 PM, metal beat said:

DIIV ‎– Deceiver - new album from the US shoegaze band DIIV.  changed their sound slightly from pop shoegaze to a little heavier guitar sound - think Jesus and Marychain / My Bloody Valentine and on the right track.     This is a grower and I can't wait til April to see them live when they tour.

8TTtoet.jpg

This album has been on serious rotation at my place for 18 months now.

if you dig this, check out the first album by Cheetahs. https://cheatahs.bandcamp.com/album/cheatahs

not quite as mopey as the Diiv record, more akin to early Swervedriver. 

also the new record by Bedroom would be worth a listen; https://bdrmm.bandcamp.com/album/bedroom

i’m a huge shoegaze fan. Beautiful noise is the most arresting form

of music for me.

• Thanks 1

On 01/01/2021 at 10:51 PM, Mendes said:

Neil, live back to back....both stunning live recordings, so hard to pick a favourite.....any thoughts?

BE51B38D-608A-48BE-8638-3549BC78B337.jpeg

This is my favorite of the series.

It flows like a complete concert, awesome versions of songs and lots of banter to the audience. The Last Trip to TULSA is brilliant. Wish I had a copy of the original 2 track recording on reel to reel.....think I might tape it anyhow.

SM-LACH1968.NY.jpg

• Like 2