Currently Spinning

R-2126330-1265628736.jpeg.jpg

Massive Attack - Heligoland. This would make a good EP. I will be editing/ programming the CD player to skip certain tracks on future playings. I can't say they wasted their time in the studio, nor did they waste their time listening to New Order, but I reserve the right to not waste my time listening to stuff from the cutting room floor.

• Like 2

Kalyanji, Anandji,  Anjaan,  Muqaddar Ka Sikandar.  His Master's Voice ‎ PEALP 2016  LP, Gat. India 1978.

Genre:  Electronic, Rock, Funk / Soul, Pop, Folk, World, & Country, Stage & Screen

Style:  Beat, Psychedelic Rock, Funk, Folk, Vocal, Bollywood.

R-1907668-1525448627-8883.jpeg.jpg

R-1907668-1555700519-6642.jpeg.jpg

R-1907668-1483194174-5551.jpeg.jpg

Happy New Year to all, some classic Bollywood to start with here.....

• Like 2

I am lost on subgenres of electronica. This has been the case ever since the days when Grime was invented as a genre by the English music press and suddenly it became a category. Which happened not long after ambient was claimed as something that had nothing whatsoever to do with Brian Eno, Harold Budd, or Opal Records. My lack of knowledge means plain speaking: "if it goes 'doof doof', or would be heard in a lift or foyer, or requires pills to hold one's attention, I'm not interested".

So I avoid things with the word 'jazz' in the category (ambient jazz? acid jazz?), geographical categories (Goan Sounds Direct From Ibiza!), and where the category is synonymous with "comatose" ('trance').

This holds the interest, albeit mainly in the first half. Composition and arrangements often have a bit of thought to them, rather than putting sequencers on autopilot:

R-297519-1227356436.jpeg.jpg

Autopilot in the second half, alas.

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown
  • Like 2