Currently Spinning

Queen + Adam Lambert - Live Around the World

IMG20201024184850.thumb.jpg.1c9918f2dc6c61a3af61d365b8e7ad5e.jpg

It's an interesting mix, this one. One of the few Queen Live albums without "Tie Your Mother Down", and missing some other regulars. However, "Somebody To Love" more than makes up for it, plus the Sydney Bushfire concert.

Everyone in top form, Adam Lambert does a great job as the new vocalist, I think.

Cheers,

Alberto

I picked up this curiosity while browsing through the second hand racks at Big Star on Magill Road yesterday.

R-10624496-1501170492-5020.jpeg.jpg

A 2008 CD remaster of this 1968 album on the Esoteric / Cherry Red label (cover photo from the internet).

I was aware of this album, but had never heard it before, so was quite pleased to find this copy in excellent condition for $12.

As many will be aware, the trio of brothers Michael and Peter Giles with Robert Fripp were the precursor to what later became King Crimson, after some lineup changes. The music here doesn't sound very Crimson like to my ears though. It is quite lighthearted, very English, full of humour and rather genteel.  The remastering has been done very well, it sounds good and I really enjoyed it. Here are some clips.

Elephant Song

Suite No 1. A rather jazzed up classical sounding instrumental piece, with some nice guitar work by Robert Fripp. (If you don't want to listen to the whole piece, skip to the last little bit around 5:30 for some closing humour.)

As far as I am aware, this is the only album the trio released at the time, and it didn't sell very well. They did also release a couple of singles, which are included on this CD.

Some time in 1968 the trio were joined by Ian McDonald and singer Judy Dyble, and made a series of demo recordings on a Revox tape recorder in the home of Peter Giles (I think). An early version of 'I Talk To The Wind' with vocals by Judy Dyble appeared on the double LP 'The Young Person's Guide To King Crimson' in the mid 70s (which I have a copy of), and a number of the other demos formed the basis for some later King Crimson recordings.

Apparently these demo recordings were released in 2001 on CD as 'The Brondesbury Tapes'. Would like to source a copy, although I suspect it may be hard to find and overpriced.

PS: I had thought of posting this in the Weird, Avante Garde & "Out There" Currently Spinning thread, but a lot of the stuff there is very dark and rather heavy going, whereas this is anything but. So here it is.

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 3

51BRkjQ1q9L.jpg

James Iha - Let It Come Down -- first solo album from axeman in Smashing Pumpkins, delivering a kinda 70s power-pop album that is (as allmusic notes) "a gentle record, filled with lovely little songs built with hushed acoustic guitars, simple harmonies, and sunny melodies".  It's almost a Matthew Sweet record if you squint just a bit.  Noice.

--Geoff

• Like 2