Currently Spinning

Some fine music being played in SNA households today it seems. The Raven, and Ride's Nowhere are particualr favourites in this household.

This is not normally to my taste with its latter-day R&B, which is not the sixties R&B nor the 70's R&B, but they handle "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' very capably.

R-187016-1452763980-4824.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

Hi All,

Múm, Yesterday Was Dramatic – Today Is OK ( 20th Anniversary Edition) streaming from Bandcamp. Awaiting for the triple LP to arrive now.

MUM.jpg.f9eb8823c34620366a91dffe820eaf93.jpg

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 3

Hi All,

Currently having a 'Ripping Session' of about a dozen CDs and listening to a few, currently Finnish band, Laika and The Cosmonauts, Cosmopolis, broadly 'Surf Rock' in style

970498390_LaikaandTheCosmonautsCosmopolis.jpg.93b9eaec781c98e43f3c2e4e6f16ed45.jpg

JJ

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

hi All,

Nick Lowe, Labour Of Lust

1276885469_NickLowe.jpg.8efbd9edd6809f8aed0516da5b6500b5.jpg

JJ

Great record 

Not as good as Jesus Of Cool

And Dig My Mood especially the song Failed Christian always amuses the hell out of me

Great sense of humour Nick

Great sing a long sort of song on Jesus of Cool but then I realised the chorus was something like “she became the doggies dinner” based on a true story about a movie star that died undiscovered in her home

She owned a dog

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Evening Folks.

A big clean up here today...  things were getting out of control with speakers pulled apart all over the place.

All work is now done in the dining room, and the lounge room is back to relaxation central...

1585066485_RotelOptonicaSonyHokutone.JPG.59f93914c2066f9e2aeb8b62df7974bd.JPG

Stands are now on the 'to do' list...

Rotel RA-971 Mk II

Philips Media Player

Vintage Sony 434 Carbocon Speaker System ( middle )

Vintage boxes with Hokutone drivers ( on floor )

Currently Spinning...

ZZ Top  'Eliminator'  1983 Warner Bros. Records.    16bit flac download from zdigital

863951405_ZZTopEliminator1983WarnerBros.Records..jpg.0bf2d98fdffbeaeee4b3a87ba047a764.jpg

Like most people my age, I came across ZZ Top through MTV.  My older brother bought a stereo VCR when the price came down to affordable, it was one of the first available en mass, and we were one of the first households ( within my narrow range ), to have TV sound through our stereo.

I could pump the sh!t out of music video's.  Being able to record in stereo and play anytime was a nice bonus.

It wasn't long until I found they had quite a few albums under their collective belts, prior to cracking the BIGTIME with 'Legs', 'Sharp Dressed Man' and 'Gimme All Your Lovin'' on MTV with a groovy, driving rock album, flavoured and modernised with a little synthesiser action.

I saw them play in Sydney on the Afterburner Tour in 1987. 

It was a large production with lasers and all, and at first I was a little surprised by the choreography, but they pulled it off like true pro's...  it was a great gig.

After seeing them play I bought all the early albums on cassette, and I was right into them and Neil Young.  I wish I had kept all my cassettes.  I picked up an Optonica cassette deck recently, but won't be able to collect it until this outbreak runs its course.

The zdigital download sounds pretty darned good.  Nice and beefy.  It's the 2008 Remaster.

Dusty's bass on 'Thug' is just a growling beast...  and handled quite capably by the Hokutone drivers.  For 10 bucks too.  Loverly.

• Like 7

Hi All,

Beatles Trunk Of Funk by Sam Redmore, a Bandcamp download / stream for $Au2 or more. As the blurb says "Here's a Beatles mix I put together for BBC Radio 6 Music last year. Plenty of edits, covers, and of course originals by the Fab Four, plus a few classic breaks for good measure. Hope you dig!"

BBC6.jpg.3ff1b47f21ba2758ee5fd38a73a7a688.jpg

JJ

• Like 2

71WZDc3UKDL._SS500_.jpg

Maserati - Pyramid -- take a bit of krautrock, add a bit of hypnotic Dave Gilmour delay on the guitars, and you get Maserati. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp for today.

edit: including a remix by The Field. Noice.

--Geoff

Edited by hired goon
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

I wonder if they will now call themselves 'The Dregs'?

Oh they are way ahead of 'The Chicks'?.albeit for different reasons.....for their last two albums they were just called 'The Dregs'.....they dropped the Dixie in the hope of gaining more commercial success.....it failed and the Dregs/Dixie Dregs were no more.?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Oh they are way ahead of 'The Chicks'?........for their last two albums they were just called 'The Dregs'.....they dropped the Dixie in the hope of gaining more commercial success.....it failed and the Dregs/Dixie Dregs are no more.?

Apart from Steve Morse i wonder what the others are up to.

Edited by Guest