Currently Spinning

Folk singers

Volume 1 and 2

For 3 and a half hours

Protest songs murder ballads rambling songs love songs weird songs

hangin songs religion songs sad songs cheerful songs maudlin songs animal songs 

In short

Songs about everything

Songs for everyone 

C60354AA-F9F7-4D8C-9454-B0AE7EEDA891.png

1BC0E654-2D03-4331-AA62-4FEF22AD717B.jpeg

• Like 1

Boris has a new album out today.  Alrighty then!

There's some heavy stuff on here.  Straight up hard doom that first song.  Maybe one day I'll figure out my genres.  Although to be honest, it's a little bit all over the place.  Understandable I guess being Boris, it's mixing it up per song.  Punkish thrash, doom, maybe not so much drone this time.  But after one listen I definitely like it.  Still got their attitude making it what it is.

a2534931166_16.jpg

https://boris.bandcamp.com/album/no

Edited by Monk

Noting the sad death of Benny Mardones, another victim of that bastard Parkinsons Disease.

Benny would be remembered by older readers for a huge hit " INTO THE NIGHT" drawn from the album " NEVER RUN, NEVER HIDE" a few decades ago.

If you draw a triangle of " New Joisey" (sic) bands, you could have Springsteen, in one corner, Southside Johnny and The Asbury Dukes, in another, and Benny to complete the triangle.

For this album, at least, think of Bruce, actually produced by Spector, to get a compass on the sound. Benny could could belt it out, but could also deliver a straight lyric with authenticity and soul.

He was never able to convert that hit into a global career, but kept performing and recording with a solid fan base.

This song is IMHO his greatest work. Written about the death of his nephew, and as I have noted before, the best song Springsteen never wrote.

I played the album so many times over the years, and this song always bared emotions and left me in tears. 

I have not been able to play it at all these past 12 months. It would pull me apart all over again.

But I will play it again in the future.

I guess I wanted to flag a song that illustrates what can happen when an artist totally commits to a lyric and drags you in.

Billy.

• Like 1