Currently Spinning

G'day Folks...

I've been in a barren, music-less wasteland for a few weeks, after... embarrissingly, hooking up 4 x 6ohm speakers to my 4-8-16 ohm amp.  No fire, flash, bang or smoke... just no music.  No longer any relay click on powering up.

Tubularbells has fast tracked returning a Jorgen amp he has serviced, an amp I found in a shed on an avacodo orchard while living in Qld.  Nothing flash at all, but in good nic.  Doug has been no end of help to me over the years.

It has me listening once again... a welcome relief.  I'm restoring my Technics speakers right now and had to work in silence without an amp.

I picked up a pair of speakers at the tip shop a couple of days ago, vintage 2 way, no markings, sealed cabinets and in very good condition for $10.  There appears to be no way in except cutting the grill cloth off and taking out the driver. 

Which I did.  The woofer is a Hokutone, made in Japan.

I looked it up briefly, and I found a thread somewhere that linked them to Onkyo from the '60's.  I had to go to work and still have more research to do.

Definitely worth restoring though... another one to the fast growing list.

My media player for digital has HDMI for my TV, and RCA outputs which go straight to my amp.

So, finally, the reason for my post...

I'm currently spinning Roger Waters' 'Amused to Death', flac file, through the Jorgen amp, into the Hokutone/Onkyo? speakers...

and I must say its a nice combination.  I use the track 'Perfect Sense (Part I)" as my main reference track.

Can't wait to do up these little babies...  and yes, the cloth's condition justified cutting it off.  I was hesitant at first but it was the only way to get inside as well...

013.JPG.7d98a9c9c7f5ea97072efcb3f5d4dcc2.JPG

• Like 7

On 16/06/2020 at 9:31 PM, RankStranger said:

discussing this with a mate and couldn’t resist throwing it on. I’m smiling a lot. What an album!

076FD0AA-6257-4E7D-B77F-51924E8252CE.jpeg.04d708efb8e5dd9b44cec4ded67b9962.jpeg

The pain, the torment and torture, profanity, nausea, suffering, perversion, calamity

Yooouuuu can't get away!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

G'day Folks.

I've re-wired the vintage speakers with the Japanese Hokutone woofer (I'm not sure what the tweeter is), added some internal damping as the cabinets are not braced, and I've read that old cabinets should be damped, not braced.  The mains connect straight to the driver, piggy backed to the tweeter with one capacitor.

I returned home to find a package on the doorstep, a Rotel RA-971 MkII, bought on the SNA Classifieds from @Naz.shr.  All in good shape upon plugging in after interuptions all afternoon.  He was a pleasure to deal with and very helpful.  Thanks mate.

First up, of course, the go to track these days, Roger Waters' 'Pefect Sense (Part I)' flac.  A very nice, warm sound, full bass and a smooth top end, comfortable to listen, and a wide open sound stage.  Lacking a little detail, particularly the top end, which could be the paper tweeter.

For the next few flac tracks I was suitably imprssed accross the board...

Lou Reed 'Vanishing Point'

Steely Dan 'Hey Nineteen'

Beck 'Morning'

The Arturo Complex 'Origin'

Then I landed on Opeth's 'Ghost of Perdition'

Now,  you all know I'm a Metal Head.  The true test for my set up is how it handles Metal.

To find a pair of near perfect, 50 year old speakers that can impress me like this is most satisfying.  They are not powerful speakers and they weren't cranked, but it sounded very good.

Out came Sabbath's 'Paranoid' on Vinyl, the Warner/Rhino re-issue, which I highly recommend.  Man! It sounded great.  I was air drumming in no time.

I gave Priest's 'Sad Wings of Destiny' a spin, the Koch Records 180gm re-issue.  It didn't sound as good as Sabbath but still pretty good.  I haven't heard an original, and this has been re-mastered.  I found the bass a touch overwhelming, maybe overcompensating for a thin original?

Floyd's 'DSOTM' 2016 re-issue, just wonderful to listen.

Finishing up with Water's 'Radio Kaos' orignal Oz press, a touch of sibilance but another great sounding record, and one that I hold dear with fond memories.

Looking forward to another day off tomorrow and firing up the Yamaha CD player with the Rotel and Hokutone's, and also hooking up the Optonica speakers for a good run with the Rotel too.

I'm familiar with the Optonica's and they will give me a better handle on the Rotel.

Very happy with my sound and set up tonight.

009b.jpg.789c23a6ee48c40a5aef14032c59c31a.jpg

010.JPG.8ebf46d8aa4cbdaf2564f59ff800a1af.JPG

Cheers.

Ant.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 4

To Top