Currently Spinning

You know those albums you buy for one song, nothing else, just that one song. I got heaps of them and occasionally I'll let em play all the way through and I'll listen to the 'meh' parts of the album.

Well here's an album I haven't got to the meh parts yet because the one song it's just so good and...so long!

Who doesn't like a guitar lick that you like  or a beat that you like played over and over and over again...and then just for good measure...they play it one more time. Bliss.

Here's a snippet of a review of the album but the reviewer, like me, got hung up on the one track Haha, love it.

The ranging album from the Philadelphia songwriter adopts a drifting mind as its emotional compass.

There’s no rush to get where he’s going, and he rarely checks to see if you’re still following along.

Nestled into Side A of Kurt Vile’s seventh solo album, Bottle It In, is “Bassackwards,” 10 minutes of warped, psychedelic folk-rock, like a long sigh in the face of existential dread.

Some songwriters seek wisdom in their aimlessness—reflecting on what they could have done better, trying to pinpoint what went wrong.

But there’s no moral to Vile’s story; he wallows, unapologetically. To a slow-pulsing chord progression, like Tom Petty’s “Swingin’” played on the moon, the 38-year-old Philadelphia songwriter repeats himself and gets distracted before losing his train of thought completely.

As he drifts through space, he sounds confused, resigned, distant. It’s one of his best songs yet.

This track, and its circuitous path toward nothingness, is a key insight into the mind of Kurt Vile.

A lot of his lyrics take place in the early hours of the day, those bleary, pre-coffee moments, when nobody else is around, that have always somehow inspired his clearest thoughts.

Over the last decade, Vile’s musical evolution from scuzzy, self-recorded doodles to fuller, brighter vistas has resembled a diary composed entirely of late-summer weekend mornings: He seeks comfortability over clarity, with anxiety creeping in but never quite blocking the light. Or as he puts it in “Bassackwards,” “The sun went down, and I couldn’t find another one… for a while.”

Recorded gradually throughout America while Vile was on tour over the last three years, Bottle It In adopts a drifting mind as its emotional compass. The scenery changes, but Vile’s dazed, half-smile remains constant.

So there it is.

https://www.treblezine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/kurt-vile-lp.jpeg

Perfect background for a joint or a good Pinot or Riesling and put your feet up in your best chair.

• Like 2

Obscure Australian prog rock from 1973. Curiously, the original LP appears to have been released only in NZ, or else Discogs has yet to process or receive details of the Australian edition.

AVSCD034-480px_1024x1024.jpg?v=136331720

This is the 2008 Aztec reissue and they describe it rather well. I'm a fan of the band Family and so the vocalist and his stylings have an easy familiarity.

Star Spangled Banger was a short-lived studio project that resulted in a sole self-titled album and single on the Melbourne Havoc Records label in 1973. With Havoc closing soon after its release, the album was quickly deleted and, over the years, has grown in stature, becoming one of the rarest Australian records ever. We are happy to rectify this problem with our deluxe CD reissue of this hugely enjoyable mix of English flavored progressive rock (Family, Cressida), reflective piano ballads, with a hint of Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band like lunacy. Principal songwriter John Brownrigg (vocals, guitar), Ron Walters (vocals, piano, organ) and drummer Paul Doo formed Star Spangled Banger in 1972 from the ashes of their former band The Sect. Brownrigg originally hailed from Liverpool and had played in several bands during the Merseybeat boom of the early Sixties – as his own brick on the Cavern Club wall of fame attests. Signed to Havoc in late 1972, the band were put into the studio with engineer/producer (and soon to be Aztec) Gil Matthews.

Armed with a stack of sound effects records, the album was recorded at odd hours (in-between Matthew’s day-job at Havoc and his night-time one as new drummer for the Aztecs) and resulted in an eclectic mix of progressive rock, protest songs and ballads – with a healthy dose of humour (witness: “Fancy Underpants”!). Added to this mix are: explosions, backwards tapes, crazy keyboards, nuclear explosions, crashing aeroplanes and fuzzed out psych guitar.

• Like 1

Guest deanB

Southern Culture On Skids- Countrypolitan

R-2088330-1298503735.jpeg.jpg.b87248c828b68cea45a9403749d88567.jpg

Includes the most palatable version of 'Rose Garden' I've heard.

21 minutes ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, Crystal Illusions. A&M Records ‎ SAML-933,393, A&M Records, Stereo,  Australia 1969.

title track is pretty bizarre, in a good way... 

Crystal Illusions album cover

I like this for some reason ?❤️

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mendes said:

I like this for some reason ?❤️

I would have been seriously disappointed if you didn't like Sergio Mendes, Mendes. I only started collecting him last year after finding an Antônio Carlos Jobim & Sergio Mendes, pre Brazill '66 recording, really great Bossa jazz. Even in Iso the little collection keeps expanding....

• Like 2

much much music today. 

But let's start with Lord Buffalo.

a0104740000_16.jpg

Americano?  Folk?  Heavy...ish strings?

Yeah man, I dig this.  

https://lord-buffalo.bandcamp.com/album/tohu-wa-bohu

And then this could easily have been in the favourite album of the week thread since last year.  At any given point in time.  Great album.  It's quiet.  And then it's loud.  Oh my.  Lovely.  What a trip.

Bongripper - Hate Ashbury.

a2034029464_16.jpg

https://bongripper.bandcamp.com/album/hate-ashbury

Epic.

And I've been loving this lately too, Hymn.  A two piece.  2!  Another candidate for album of the week.  Looking forward to their new music when it comes out.

a3395862156_16.jpg

https://urskoghymn.bandcamp.com/album/perish

Then a bit of other assorted music.  Which may or may not have included Bongripper.

Then switched it up a bit with Run The Jewels.

76ewAlHfKLjkS9GyYnxO1wmvq9Yk89YV6XuZm77i

And that was cool and all.  But I do have to say, I prefer 3.  Which I followed it up with.

958.jpg

And currently listening to Bolt Gun.  But that's a whole 'nother post.

• Like 4

this gets a spin tonight

Fifty years ago almost to the day.

Kent State 4 May 1970/ 2020 (CSNY)

Jackson 15 May 1970/2020 (Cassandra Wilson)

Time for some Pops Staples "Down in Mississippi".  It's one of the least polemical protest songs you'll ever hear. Just tells it like it is.

R-920090-1562479914-7389.jpeg.jpg

This album is a great album.

It includes Pops Staples's "This May Be The Last Time" which the Rolling Stones added to sufficiently enough to be able to claim it as their own original composition.

• Like 3