Currently Spinning

Devo "Duty Now For The Future" Oz 1st pressing.

https://img.discogs.com/kAXOr0jvRUTArVUBPa7EvT4nBPg=/fit-in/600x600/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-6770246-1557953867-2310.jpeg.jpg

After not being totally pleased with how producer Brian Eno made them sound in their classic debut "Are We Not Men?....." (I loved it!), they produced the follow up themselves to more accurately reflect their 'sonic vision'......and 'Clockout' had me excited on this albums release in '79.?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Dilettanteque said:

Minor Victories - Minor Victories

Image result for Minor Victories - Minor Victories

I quite like the atmosphere of this release.  Band includes members of Slowdive, Mogwai. and Editors (the last of which I have never heard).  I thought the first two were trustworthy foundations for an enjoyable listening experience.   And so it seems. A brief visit to Wikipedia denotes them as a "supergroup".  Which i guess mans we won't see another release.....?

Had a listen to this online tonight, as l like all the artists involved, especially Editors.

Great listen mate. So much so. Ordered the cd from Amozon.

Only $13 and that was with shiping. So bargain. It has great haunting female lyrics, backed up with thrashing atmospheric guitar and a very tight rhythm section. Love it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Had a listen to this online tonight, as l like all the artists involved, especially Editors.

Great listen mate. So much so. Ordered the cd from Amozon.

Only $13 and that was with shiping. So bargain. It has great haunting female lyrics, backed up with thrashing atmospheric guitar and a very tight rhythm section. Love it.

yeah - not bad huh, in a reflective pop kinda way.  You may like School of Seven Bells (I have what I suspect to be an unreasonable liking of this band). At the heart of there last album is a bit of a sad story. But I do recommend a spin!

• Like 1

G'day Folks.

I did the Op Shop/Tip Shop rounds yesterday, they're the only two out here.  Did find a couple of Cd's I wouldn't normally expect to find out here...

Jethro Tull  'Rock Island'  1989 Chrysalis Records

Mike Patton  'ADULT THEMES for voice'  1996 Tzadik, New York.

The Orb  'Back to Mine'  2003 DMC Publishing, UK.

...  and for the princely sum of $2.00 I scored a Yamaha CDX 550 ( 1990's ) CD player from the Tip Shop.  In very good condition, works perfectly, silent and smooth, and still had the RCA's connected, so the output connections were nice and clean.  The front panel is a little tarnished, but only visible at an angle.  Didn't have a remote, but that's OK, I still have to change volume manually, maybe one day I'll move into the 21st Century.  I've only ever had one CD deck before, an old Onkyo that gave me no end of trouble, bought early in CD's takeover.  I hated that thing, and never bothered with another, just used my DVD/BluRay players.

These were yesterday's CD's...

871835861_YamahaCDX550Cds.JPG.dfa1e934a52be00256509e986a87d57c.JPG

Currently spinning...

Underworld  'Beaucoup Fish'  1998 JBO Ltd-V2 Music Ltd. Sony Music, Aust.  CD.

2016609344_UnderworldBeaucoupFish1998JBOLtd-V2MusicLtd.SonyMusicAust.front.jpg.12826125a2968eea6bfedaf606db4887.jpg

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Gawd ... Fluke ... used to play Fluke a lot back in the day ... sorta similar to Underworld in some ways. I think that Oto has a couple of cracking tunes ... Bullet IIRC. 

--Geoff 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dilettanteque said:

yeah - not bad huh, in a reflective pop kinda way.  You may like School of Seven Bells (I have what I suspect to be an unreasonable liking of this band). At the heart of there last album is a bit of a sad story. But I do recommend a spin!

Not heard of them either. Will have a listen.

Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

G'day Folks.

I did the Op Shop/Tip Shop rounds yesterday, they're the only two out here.  Did find a couple of Cd's I wouldn't normally expect to find out here...

Jethro Tull  'Rock Island'  1989 Chrysalis Records

Mike Patton  'ADULT THEMES for voice'  1996 Tzadik, New York.

The Orb  'Back to Mine'  2003 DMC Publishing, UK.

...  and for the princely sum of $2.00 I scored a Yamaha CDX 550 ( 1990's ) CD player from the Tip Shop.  In very good condition, works perfectly, silent and smooth, and still had the RCA's connected, so the output connections were nice and clean.  The front panel is a little tarnished, but only visible at an angle.  Didn't have a remote, but that's OK, I still have to change volume manually, maybe one day I'll move into the 21st Century.  I've only ever had one CD deck before, an old Onkyo that gave me no end of trouble, bought early in CD's takeover.  I hated that thing, and never bothered with another, just used my DVD/BluRay players.

Nice scores Ant, especially the CD player. I spotted this article: https://maoaudiolab.blogspot.com/2016/05/yamaha-cdx550e-after-my-tweak-is-much.html

The author modded his CDX550 and reckons it now sounds as good as his Luxman DZ121 player! This part of the (translated/grammatically challenged) article is the bit which might interest you:

Recapped in some touchy place ( power supply coupling close to op-amp, polyester bypass etc.), redesigned the output , removed the muting transistors,replaced the original op-amp used some carbon composite resistors (Allen Bradley) finally I skipped even the chocke filters that gives a muddy dark sound to this devices ...oohh now the bottle neck of this project is took off and the sound now can fly again!!!!!
Just tried tens of different op-amp to chose the best or whatever what i like more than the others.
I found one of the best could be the Texas Inst. RC5532 , it gives a tight bass and articulate sound all over the range with a large soundstage , open, and very revealing in detail .

Maybe seek out a friendly stereonet techie to decipher that and help you out with the mods and you could have a really top end performer.?

• Like 1

I don't know why, but l have recently been listening to Guns N Roses.

Never listened to them back in the day. Mis-conception l guess. I put them in the same basket as Poison and Motley Crue. Got that wrong didn't  I am really appreciating the musicmanship, especially Slash. He is quite some guitatist. Their CDs are quite cheap, so bought the 3 albums. They say their last album is rubbish, but will have a listen at some stage and form my own opinion.

15819937728206632843908602975978.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

I don't know why, but l have recently been listening to Guns N Roses.

Never listened to them back in the day. Mis-conception l guess. I put them in the same basket as Poison and Motley Crue. Got that wrong didn't  I am really appreciating the musicmanship, especially Slash. He is quite some guitatist. Their CDs are quite cheap, so bought the 3 albums. They say their last album is rubbish, but will have a listen at some stage and form my own opinion.

15819937728206632843908602975978.jpg

Chinese Democracy? I haven't heard it so I have no real opinion on it but Buckethead plays guitar on that one......and he's better than Slash.?

6 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Never listened to them back in the day

G'day Mate.

If my memory serves me correctly, 'Appetite for Destruction' had been released around 12 months before it began getting noticed in Australia.

I bought this album as soon as it appeared, being a young MetalHead who loves cover art, how could I resist?  The inner art by Robt. Williams is great too, a large material wall hang of it adorned my place for years.

I saw them on this album tour in Sydney.  It was at the Ent. Cent. and to this day, the most aggressive crowd I have ever witnessed.  The gig was awesome.

It was certainly something new at the time.  The bands you mentioned, and their like, Def Leppard, Europe, Cinderella, Ratt etc. were all a bit too glamorous for me.

Here was a slab of serious, Dirty Rock and Roll with attitude, energy, musicianship and a selection of sensational songs.  Hard to believe such an accomplished album was achieved under the influence of copious amounts of smack.  Apparently.

A good approach for me, alas probably too late for you now, is to listen to the less popular albums, usually an artists later album, before hearing the 'classic' album/s.

Rock On!

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

14 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

G'day Mate.

If my memory serves me correctly, 'Appetite for Destruction' had been released around 12 months before it began getting noticed in Australia.

I bought this album as soon as it appeared, being a young MetalHead who loves cover art, how could I resist?  The inner art by Robt. Williams is great too, a large material wall hang of it adorned my place for years.

I saw them on this album tour in Sydney.  It was at the Ent. Cent. and to this day, the most aggressive crowd I have ever witnessed.  The gig was awesome.

It was certainly something new at the time.  The bands you mentioned, and their like, Def Leppard, Europe, Cinderella, Ratt etc. were all a bit too glamorous for me.

Here was a slab of serious, Dirty Rock and Roll with attitude, energy, musicianship and a selection of sensational songs.  Hard to believe such an accomplished album was achieved under the influence of copious amounts of smack.  Apparently.

A good approach for me, alas probably too late for you now, is to listen to the less popular albums, usually an artists later album, before hearing the 'classic' album/s.

Rock On!

Thanks Buzzz.

Between this forum and the Prog forum l have quadrupled my collection since joining. If something sounds like it might be something l would like, l will have a listen on Spotify. Spent a fortune on CDs over the years via reviews in musical mags/papers. But then found not my cup of tea (or bottle of red) after purchase. So Spotify takes the guess work out of it. It's a trap though. Have ordered 5 CDs since Sunday.?

• Like 1

Prompted by reading the spinning threads...    @April Snow

Margaret Urlich  'Safety in Numbers'  1989 CBS Records, Aust.  -  Madonna  'The Immaculate Collection'  1990 Sire Records. Warner.

955875556_MargaretUrlichSafetyinNumbers1989CBSRecordsAust.-MadonnaTheImmaculateCollection1985SireRecords.Warner..JPG.80951941fd608b618660f340e2605ac9.JPG

Fresh after a bath, the Urlich album requires a glue treatment.

But. the Madonna album is in excellent condition.  It's country of manufacture is not indicated, it's an early Direct Metal Mastering version and sounds fantastic.

... also a Very Good++ copy of these great sounding remixes...

'Celebrate '88 Megamixes'  1987  EMI Records, Aust. Festival Records, Aust.

2007825890_Celebrate88Megamixes1987EMIRecordsAust.FestivalRecordsAust..JPG.55c4bb0f4f8be9dfa0eade88670b9937.JPG

One of the first 'Dance' albums I ever really got into, because there were a few Rock tracks in there, I bought this new upon release.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 2