Currently Spinning

12 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

This is an album I've had for a while, two copies on vinyl, and this Op Shop CD about 12 months...

Pink Floyd  'The Dark Side of the Moon'  1973-2003 30th Anniversary Digital Remaster. EMI Music, Aust.

338026733_PinkFloydTheDarkSideoftheMoon1973-200330thAnniversaryDigitalRemaster.EMIMusicAust.front.jpg.fcf725a31da1844a2710d7dc54ca73ec.jpg

I'm haven't listened to them a lot over the years, every now and then.  I've noticed they're popping up in my rotation more frequently. 

I like not having to get up and change the record too; oh that's right, not gettin' any younger.

Surprise! I'm not getting younger either, AND I recently acquired a DSOTM CD for pretty much the same reason.

Right now though, I'm listening to an SACD on my Oppo 95 JLTi player (Goldfrapp - SUPERNATURE)

Tasty!

Goldfrapp.jpg.6068f6cceea021f0fd200629a91e3751.jpg

• Like 1

In the mood for some Gunners, their best of course in Appetite for Destruction, just about to play my local CD ripped version when I noticed alternate versions in Roon/Tidal, noticed a MQA 24/192 version, it is the best I’ve heard it, I’m only getting the first unfold in 24/96 via Roon, punchy and clear, very nice.

B10B4812-70FA-46A1-B31A-224ECC72D056.png

• Like 3

I've had a few listens to this now...

Tool  '10,000 Days'  2006 Volcano Entertainment.    Wav.

2049170190_Tool10000Days2006VolcanoEntertainmentx500.jpg.4ecf367aa798e433cb791aca9b0109b9.jpg

Only getting into these guys for the first time really, but this has become a bit of a 'go to' listen.

I have the Optonica's set up with the Sony rears, which dominate the Optonica's a little, so I've covered them with a towel.  The sound is quite good.

The lounge room is an ample space, opening to the dining room. 

I've moved the speakers back to 1/4, they were 1/3 the way in, and the sweet spot is about 2/3 of the room length.

I get a nice sound, with no bottom end boom.  It's got a little more punch with the Sony's added; they are two way 5" mids.

I don't have the clarity and detail, missing a little sparkle at the mid/top end.  But I can hear the speakers disappear, so that's nice.  The soundstage is good but that lack of detail is obvious.

The Optonica's are not very powerful, but have a comfortable sound, that's one thing I have noticed, especially compared with the Sony's.  Covering the Sony's with a towel has tamed them a fraction too.

It's a powerful album.  The guitar tones are superb.  Everything about it is engaging and is made with confidence and purpose.    

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 5

This one has had a few plays since my return from Sime's place.  He played 'Vanishing Act for me and I was floored.  I don't know if it was this exact version, but he kindly gave me this file too...

Lou Reed  'The Raven'  2003 Sire Records.    Flac.

1392215348_LouReedTheRaven2003SireRecords..jpg.99c07d56e4eaf1f1a6a6ef48c9a34433.jpg

A tribute to the works of Edgar Allan Poe.

Solid rock music with grit, a little punk energy, some horns and all balanced with some very delicate moments, some smooth soul, and spoken word pieces.

A great sounding album, I see it is available as 3LP.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 1