Currently Spinning

If I write anything about this album I would be repeating myself...

The Angels  'Two Minute Warning'  1984 Mushroom Records, Festival Records, Aust.

1333194162_TheAngelsTwoMinuteWarning1984MushroomRecordsFestivalRecordsAust..JPG.4303d2f4480bf345d07c02077343b1fd.JPG

Another excellent sounding slab o' vinyl. 

When this was delivered to my door the postie left it under the lid of my letter box, in the blazing Oz sun.  I had already spoken to one of the posties, but she wasn't the one who left it.  A quick trip to the P.O. and all sorted out.  Thankfully I wasn't out very long that day, could have been tragic, a beautiful copy.

I was considering an Amp & Speaker upgrade in the near future, but what I'm hearing right now is just fantastic.  No wonder this passion is soooo addictive.

• Like 5

Iggy Pop ‎– Free.  Iggy's new album - first couple of listens, sort of meh.  but on listen 4, Iggy has clicked in my mind and I get it now.     definite jazz flavour to this album and very enjoyable.  Give it a few listens and I think you may be surprised.

1d786Sx.jpg

• Like 3

thought i would take punt on this 2019 release after it was a double J feature album 

"one of the most inventive and exciting indie rock releases of the year"

WWW.ABC.NET.AU

One of the most inventive and exciting indie rock releases of the year

lovely production and pressing (even if next level hot pink!)

slowly growing me

8mCCx1iW8Y_h8AKncp-4EuC7dAEw9WVfkpqKqk5n

• Like 1

Hi All,

Karfagen, Echoes From Within Dragon Island

Karfagen.jpg.e4dc7334aac1fc64870aea99078a93a4.jpg

Info from Background Magazine:

This is the tenth release from him under the Karfagen moniker and if the others tested my big book of superlatives, then this one renders it obsolete. Where to start? Well, coming from a pretty ambitious composer, this is ambitious symphonic prog at its finest. Kalugin leads an 18-strong band of electronic and acoustic musicians and vocalists, perfectly synthesising the electronic tones with the greater tonal range of the orchestral instruments. It is to his credit that this piece works as an entirety, rather than using the orchestra as a side aspect to showcase an individual's virtuosity as happens too often in works of this type. While long time collaborator Max Velychko's lyrical guitar work is always worth a credit, this is not to the detriment of any of the other fine musicians appearing on this recording. It is possible to buy this offering in 1 or 2 CD format, the 1 CD version containing the major Dragon Island Suite, with the 2CD version offering bonus tracks including Incantation another, shorter 2-part suite; but why go half a hog? If you enjoy well-composed, magical symphonic rock music then you will be wondering why you didn't shell out for the extra 40 minutes.

In the past, I have criticised certain artists for filling out CD space just because they can and for not knowing what to leave on the cutting room floor. But this does not apply to the 93 minutes worth of music on offer here. I found it utterly transporting from the outset. Beautiful folk-inspired passages sit easily alongside the pomp and splendour of the band in full flight. Frantic soaring keyboards and heart-melting guitar twine with intricate sensitive flights of fancy. To describe the whole piece would probably test the reader's patience too far, so mighty a conception is produced. Suffice to say that by the time the ensemble reach Dragon Island Suite 3 , a peak of joyous music-making is reached, a real feat to establish a high-point ending to a piece which is full of high points. It is a privilege to listen to these musicians not only creating such an astounding climax, but clearly having the best time while doing it. Truly uplifting.

Even the cover is brilliant. So take a bow, again Mr Kalugin. You get better and better and this is one of the best things I have heard in this genre for a long time. There are some big hitters releasing music in the course of this year, and this stands toe-to-toe with the best of them.

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 2

To Top