Currently Spinning

Complete tangent.....The Vines "Wicked Nature" 2014 Oz pressing......loud! I think the whiskey's kicking in......

https://www.clashmusic.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_feature/public/field/image/VINES.jpg?itok=SV4x4OX_

Chat Time:.....?

What do we do with the enigma that is Craig Nicholls?

On his way to greatness but brought down by the issues inherent in being on the autism spectrum but undiagnosed, while being the centre of public attention....in the early days, immense attention and adulation.

Soldiering on now and still capable of greatness, as the above album shows but largely ignored by a public that has truly moved on.

A one trick pony to some but he's just so good at what he does....to me anyway.

I truly hope he matures musically just a little and one day soon creates an 'unignorable' masterpiece (and it actually gets promoted well.)

Gee, I think the whiskey really is kicking in!?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

Morning lads.

Early day for me, getting some much needed gardening done at my new place.  Absolutely beautiful days here, spring has sprung.

First up today, my first record on my 13th birthday in 1980, not the original as I had to replace it...

KISS  'Dynasty'  1979 Casablanca Records, USA - Promo Copy.

1568320325_KISSDynasty1979CasablancaRecordsUSA-PromoCopy.JPG.8de56527925ebf1759e556d5d24d768c.JPG

Love 'em or hate 'em, they hold a special place for me.  After ABBA they were my first venture into Heavy Rock and the stepping stone to Metal.

I've written this before; I was not allowed to see them in Sydney 1980 and I was devastated, my walls were floor to ceiling KISS and I remember watching Countdown with high expectations of seeing them appear, and scanning all the Rock magazines at the newsagents for any pics or posters I could find.

We were allowed to choose any band for a music assignment in year 7 (I think), of course I chose KISS.  I sent a letter to Polygram Records in Sydney and they sent me a promotion package which I was thrilled with.

A marketing phenomenon at the time, a fact that only dawned on me some years later, as I grew to despise the arrogance of Gene, but always loved his voice and bass playing.  Oh, and the blood.  Buit, I couldn't stand and still can't stand Pauls voice, especially live, luckily he didn't sing all songs, a saving grace for me.

As a youngin' I was captivated and fascinated by Alive II, and the cover, if only I could have witnessed the American tour stage...

971138279_KissAliveII1977CasablancaRecordsFilmworks.jpg.5bc00c1ed3c9e8ec57ff3f40a89cdf78.jpg

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Morning lads.

Early day for me, getting some much needed gardening done at my new place.  Absolutely beautiful days here, spring has sprung.

First up today, my first record on my 13th birthday in 1980, not the original as I had to replace it...

KISS  'Dynasty'  1979 Casablanca Records, USA - Promo Copy.

1568320325_KISSDynasty1979CasablancaRecordsUSA-PromoCopy.JPG.8de56527925ebf1759e556d5d24d768c.JPG

Love 'em or hate 'em, they hold a special place for me.  After ABBA they were my first venture into Heavy Rock and the stepping stone to Metal.

I've written this before; I was not allowed to see them in Sydney 1980 and I was devastated, my walls were floor to ceiling KISS and I remember watching Countdown with high expectations of seeing them appear, and scanning all the Rock magazines at the newsagents for any pics or posters I could find.

We were allowed to choose any band for a music assignment in year 7 (I think), of course I chose KISS.  I sent a letter to Polygram Records in Sydney and they sent me a promotion package which I was thrilled with.

A marketing phenomenon at the time, a fact that only dawned on me some years later, as I grew to despise the arrogance of Gene, but always loved his voice and bass playing.  Oh, and the blood.  Buit, I couldn't stand and still can't stand Pauls voice, especially live, luckily he didn't sing all songs, a saving grace for me.

As a youngin' I was captivated and fascinated by Alive II, and the cover, if only I could have witnessed the American tour stage...

971138279_KissAliveII1977CasablancaRecordsFilmworks.jpg.5bc00c1ed3c9e8ec57ff3f40a89cdf78.jpg

Well Ant.....that is interesting. I was also a mad Kiss fan and had Kiss Alive on vinyl and was quite fascinated with the make up and individual 'persona's'.....then I discovered the herbals and that potential 'gateway to metal' was slammed shut as my music tastes changed and mellowed and ultimately went in a different direction. More towards prog and stoner rock then onto punk and new wave and electronica (but not the disco type?) and I 'gave' Kiss Alive away to a girl who lived across the road.? I still liked some heavier rock though and my respect for their longevity as a band/marketing phenomena grew and I finally saw them on one of their many 'farewell' tours (gee, they're the John Farnham of rock bands!) back in 2008 I think it was, at Rod Laver arena in Melbourne with Thayer on lead and Singer on drums. That concert was a blast I must say.

I have some CD's (Dressed To Kill and Jigoku-Retsuden, a Japan only 'Best of') and live videos (Kissymphony and Konfidential) of theirs but nothing on vinyl and that may not change......I would imagine an early pressing of Kiss Alive would not be easy to get now but it has been re-issued. I'd consider Dressed To Kill though.....always loved that 'understated' cover and Gene wearing clogs!??

Related image
Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

Red And Blue - Neither Norway - V/A 

1.01    –Kaada    Volkswagen
1.02    –Eivind Aarset    Ffwd / Slowmotion
1.03    –Krøyt    Grown And Flown
1.04    –Supersilent    C 3.1
1.05    –Ring    Magic Waffle
1.06    –Nils Økland    Biberslått
1.07    –Jaga Jazzist    Tri Star
1.08    –School Days    Stonerow
1.09    –Wunderkammer    II Solo Coglione
1.10    –Beatroute (2)    Philosophica
2.01    –Nils Petter Molvær    Dead Indeed (Russel Mills Mix)
2.02    –Kim Hiorthøy    Door Opens Both Ways.
2.03    –Motorpsycho    Gerhard
Performer – Bent*, Snah
2.04    –Stian Carstensen    Untitled
2.05    –Cafe Romantica    Memory Wheel
2.06    –Folk & Røvere    Hengekøye 
2.07    –Jazzkammer*    
2.08    –Monopot    Survival Of The Unfittest
2.09    –Phono   Yellow Drummachine
2.10    –Wibutee    Nubounce
2.11    –Scorch Trio    Kind Of Oval
2.12    –Bugge Wesseltoft    Gubnuf

images - 2019-09-03T163931.692.jpeg

• Like 1

Followed up AC/DC Live with "Back In Black" 2009 George Marino remaster, German pressing. An impressive remaster......?

https://pure-music.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/acdc-back-to-black-album-cover.jpg

Then I went down the street for some shopping and came back with a different groove in my head, so it's onto Talking Heads "Remain In Light" Oz 1st pressing.....one of their best.

https://media.pitchfork.com/photos/5bbba0095817d4032087c55a/1:1/w_600/talking%20heads_remain%20in%20light.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stevoz said:

Must get me some more Rush albums......I have only this and Moving Pictures. Great band!

After the Moving Pictures album Rush went synth heavy ... follow up albums Signals and Grace Under Pressure are good 80s sounding albums (with a bit of Police influence on the latter) but from Power Windows on this is a completely different band.

Previous albums Hemispheres and A Farewell To Kings are still a mix of prog and heavy rock, although a bit primitive compared to Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves.

Before that: 2112 is hailed as a masterpiece but I find the side-long suite a bit silly really. Side 2 has some good straight-up rock songs though. Earlier albums are also patchy IMHO.

But all the albums from A Farewell To Kings to Grace Under Pressure get a bit of play at Chez Goon. 

--Geoff

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hired goon said:

After the Moving Pictures album Rush went synth heavy ... follow up albums Signals and Grace Under Pressure are good 80s sounding albums (with a bit of Police influence on the latter) but from Power Windows on this is a completely different band.

Previous albums Hemispheres and A Farewell To Kings are still a mix of prog and heavy rock, although a bit primitive compared to Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves.

Before that: 2112 is hailed as a masterpiece but I find the side-long suite a bit silly really. Side 2 has some good straight-up rock songs though. Earlier albums are also patchy IMHO.

But all the albums from A Farewell To Kings to Grace Under Pressure get a bit of play at Chez Goon. 

--Geoff

Yes Geoff, I am hearing you. I've spent part of the evening checking out Rush albums on youtube and I am coming to the same conclusion.....that the three albums before Permanent Waves are the way to go.?

Funnily, I also checked out their last release "Clockwork Angels" and liked the first two tracks and was a bit 'meh' about the third then thought I'd check it further later but it sounds like it has potential.....maybe ending the way they started?

Edited by stevoz