Currently Spinning

Morning All,

Started the Day with Alaskan Tapes, In Distance We Are Losing

Alaskan.jpg.3d9b73e0347689c853a19f3786987207.jpg

I am now playing somethingof a nostalgic album from a Geelong band from the early / mid 70s with Redhouse, One More Squeeze, a band whose live performances were much better than their studio work, which was 'toned down' to what the record label wanted, pity as this album could have been a lot better really. 

1382964461_RedhouseOneMoreSqueeze.jpg.b6ca466c58387cf6cc00b409e5251b94.jpg

JJ

JJ

• Like 2

This arrived in the post today so spinning it now....Talking Heads "Speaking In Tongues" 2013 reissue, US pressing. It was advertised as 'like new' by importcdsau on ebay, which is unusual for them. I now think it is a return, as it's side A label is so off-centre, it covers the last part of the lead out track?. Fortunately my semi auto TT's tonearm lifts just before the stylus reaches the label.....so all good. Obviously returned by someone with a manual TT and maybe a damaged stylus!? Anyway, it sounds really great which is a relief because it's a Rhino re-issue.?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/quietus_production/images/articles/12879/Talking_Heads-Speaking_In_Tongues__1983_-Frontal_1374490245_crop_560x550.0.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Talking-Heads-Speaking-In-Tongues/release/4620453

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

The Most Dangerous Of Men.

Rupert Hine.

The track is number 8 and if there is a more tricksy chorus than this song then I'm yet to hear it(Yes I include you Master Handel... lol).

This track had Robert Palmer before he became known and the chorus...it's in a weird off number beat, like 3/7 or 2/5, you listen and you think you've got it and then you realise that there's another layer going on just behind what your listening too.  I've been listening to it since it came out in 84 or near there and it always trips me up

I'm like....tenor.gif.0c9ee63b20806e476dbe3c6ac49cac04.gif

image.png.01d6fab715d6fb2a64d04963289d3a67.png

• Like 1

Listened to a few Monkey3 albums at work on the phone today, so The 5th Sun got the first up slot when I got home this arvo.

Man there's some good psychedelic bands on Bandcamp.  And metal.  And ambient.  And no doubt lots of other stuff I haven't heard yet.

a2014353899_16.jpg

https://monkey-3.bandcamp.com/album/the-5th-sun

And for some reason, live Swans song started popping up on my Youtube feed again recently, so after a few of those, To Be Kind was inevitable to be honest.

SWANS-TBK-CD-ART-SCAN-600dpi_grande.jpg?

• Like 1

I recall fondly the Rutles "documentary" which listed the Rutles' stablemates, including the band described as "The French Beach Boys" (image below) and the well-known 60's musical sextet: "Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young, Gifted, and Black"

tumblr_n46ydwWfKx1tz4bxwo3_1280.jpg

Meantime here we are turning up the volume on The Clean:

R-12721093-1540700631-2742.jpeg.jpg

In my view, the best songs remain the earliest ones.  In the latter days, musical differences emerged rather than merged .

• Like 1

G'day 

It's been a while.Spotted this while out and about this morning and could not resist,i've never owned a vinyl copy but the urge was to much and i grabbed it,not their best by any stretch,all the same some tracks resonate because of what was going on (for me) at the time of release.(plus i'm a U2 tragic)

My old habits really are finding it hard to die.

20190824_124907.thumb.jpg.d8f668b48860e7c6c2dcca061a61c230.jpg

• Like 1